Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soil pipe -- to replace or not to replace

Hello -- first post here after reading for a long time and picking up
lots of valuable advice.

I'm going to completely replace our bathroom over the next few weeks.
Before doing anything internally I was planning to replace the soil
stack. The connection to the toilet is a mess -- years of bodging and
putty and a cheap loo that wobbles and leaks because it hasn't been
screwed to the wall. Here's a picture. Note that I didn't install this!

http://tinypic.com/r/250htp1/6

But... now I find myself thinking how much easier it would be if I
didn't have to get rid of the whole thing. The external pipework is old
but sound.

I don't want to fit a new toilet to a knackered pipe -- but does anyone
have any thoughts about reusing what's there already?

If I could saw/grind off the collar on the pipe and clean up the end
then would a flexible pan connector make a decent seal? Would it help
to use a long connector and push it further down the pipe than normal?

The current (badly fitted) toilet is on a wooden plinth which will come
out before the new toilet goes in. Is there likely to be a problem with
the angle of the connector? Clearly the new one will need to be closer
to the wall so it can be fixed in place. I'd rather not have to have a
bit of wood between the back of the cistern and the wall.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Two small children in the house
mean that the quicker I can finish the project the better -- but if I'm
going to have to bite the bullet and replace the whole thing then I
might as well get on with it.

Thanks in advance.

James