Posted to uk.d-i-y
James[_31_] James[_31_] is offline

Default Soil pipe -- to replace or not to replace

On 2012-07-03 20:50:57 +0000, ARWadsworth said:

Is that a lead waste pipe to a cast iron soil stack?

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's lead, although having never
knowingly seen a lead waste pipe I'm happy to be proved wrong.

For some reason that TinyPic link brings up a zoomed-in version of the
photo. If you click on the image then you get a better view.

There's a modern pan connector shoved into what looks like a bit of
plastic pipe, which goes into the collar at a strange angle, then loads
of putty and sealant packed around them all.

I'd assumed everything except the plastic bit was cast iron, but I've
just been up and tried to stick a fridge magnet to it, and it doesn't
stick. It doesn't stick to the soil stack outside either.

Abestos? Or maybe I need a stronger magnet...

James