Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default sds masonry drills at Aldi

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...12-07-02-18-24

Seems a decent price if they're any good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...12-07-02-18-24

Seems a decent price if they're any good.

I have no problems with buying cheap long (1m) SDS masonry bits. The buggers
will eventually get stuck and break no matter what you pay for them. At
least when the apprentice loses them the cheap ones are easier on the wallet
to replace.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 17:46:31 +0100, brass monkey wrote:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_25440.htm

Seems a decent price if they're any good.

Or the cable access kit:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_25443.htm

Not many fittings for the end compared to SF or TS similar kits but TBH
you tape on what ever you are pulling/pushing through anyway.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 17:46:31 +0100, brass monkey wrote:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_25440.htm

Seems a decent price if they're any good.

Or the cable access kit:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_25443.htm

Not many fittings for the end compared to SF or TS similar kits but
TBH you tape on what ever you are pulling/pushing through anyway.

They do look interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if they are the
Silverline ones? And the Silverline ones are not too bad IMHO.

http://www.silverlinetoolbox.co.uk/s...ess-2464-60573

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-07-02 16:46:31 +0000, brass monkey said:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...12-07-02-18-24

Seems a decent price if they're any good.

I have some 600mm SDS+ bits bought from Aldi which are an absolute
godsend, having 550mm stone walls everywhere. Not manged to snap one,
or get one irretrievably stuck yet (but maybe I'll by a spare set given
ARW's note!).

I'd be interested in knowing if this core drill set is likely to be any
good, as I need to drill a bunch of 100mm holes soon. Some in the
stone, some in brick and block. (Last time I drilled 100mm hole
through my 550mm stone walls it took me 3 hours with what I assume was
decent, diamond tipped, bit - rented.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_25414.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 18:19:56 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

They do look interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if they are
the Silverline ones? And the Silverline ones are not too bad IMHO.

I'd have thought you'd have a set already!

Aldi/Lidl tend not to sell rubbish, budget yes but not screwdrivers made
of cheese budget. I expect there is only one factory in China turning out
these rods...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-07-02 16:46:31 +0000, brass monkey said:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...0.htm?WT.mc_id...

Seems a decent price if they're any good.

I have some 600mm SDS+ bits bought from Aldi which are an absolute
godsend, having 550mm stone walls everywhere. *Not manged to snap one,
or get one irretrievably stuck yet (but maybe I'll by a spare set given
ARW's note!).

I'd be interested in knowing if this core drill set is likely to be any
good, as I need to drill a bunch of 100mm holes soon. *Some in the
stone, some in brick and block. *(Last time I drilled 100mm hole
through my 550mm stone walls it took me 3 hours with what I assume was
decent, diamond tipped, bit - rented.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_25414.htm

A TC set is far cheaper and perfectly good

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2012 17:46, brass monkey wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...12-07-02-18-24

Seems a decent price if they're any good.

Yes, the 1000mm set is fine - haven't snapped the thin one yet. Was the
same price last year.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/07/2012 18:09, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Or the cable access kit:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_25443.htm

Not many fittings for the end compared to SF or TS similar kits but TBH
you tape on what ever you are pulling/pushing through anyway.

Interesting but I've got a similar kit made of 10 shorter 33cm lengths,
(Rolson from Maplin*). It's more of a fit for my out and about toolbox.
1m is a bit long for that, chances are I'd not have it with me when I
really need it. However 10m reach, hmmm.... my wallet is struggling...

* - that was a £9.99 Maplin deal, 5 "VDE" screwdrivers and the access
kit. The screwdrivers were complete crap. Put appreciable torque on them
and the shaft either spins inside the handle, or the blade splinters
into several chunks of uselessness.

I must buy a decent set of those on the next CPC order...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 18:19:56 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

They do look interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if they are
the Silverline ones? And the Silverline ones are not too bad IMHO.

I'd have thought you'd have a set already!

Aldi/Lidl tend not to sell rubbish, budget yes but not screwdrivers made
of cheese budget.

I expect there is only one factory in China turning out these rods...

Very bloody unlikely indeed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 17:46:31 +0100, brass monkey wrote:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...12-07-02-18-24

Seems a decent price if they're any good.

Assuming that they're the same as a couple of years ago, they are OK. We've
just put some 8mm holes in concrete and it was dead easy, even with a cheap
Lidl drill.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 17:46:31 +0100, brass monkey wrote:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...12-07-02-18-24

Seems a decent price if they're any good.

Oh, and the big ones do go through a wall with no trouble at all.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 18:19:56 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

They do look interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if they
are the Silverline ones? And the Silverline ones are not too bad
IMHO.

I'd have thought you'd have a set already!

I have. But they do not last forever:-)

Eventually they either break or start to splinter. Having to cut your finger
open to get a splinter of fibre glass rod out is not good fun. The same
applies to all makes no matter what they cost. And you have to remember mine
get a lot of hammer so buying 3 sets now at a cheaper price than I usually
pay makes sense.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 18:01:17 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

brass monkey wrote:
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...12-07-02-18-24

Seems a decent price if they're any good.

I have no problems with buying cheap long (1m) SDS masonry bits.

I bought that set last year (too good to pass up at that price) and
they've been fine. Not had a huge amount of use out of them, but
around the house with 15" mass concrete walls, there have been no
problems with them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 18:09:46 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Or the cable access kit:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...uys3_25443.htm

"Ring End for pushing"

That could get interesting.

Aldi HSS stepped cone drills sets Harry Bloomfield[_3_] UK diy 1 March 24th 10 11:25 PM
Long Masonry Drills Arthur 51 UK diy 11 February 11th 09 06:00 PM
Screwfix Masonry Drills . Stuart UK diy 12 March 26th 06 03:47 AM
Masonry drills (not) Geo UK diy 24 May 3rd 05 04:10 PM