Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Long Masonry Drills

Hi all.
I want to reposition the entry point for a tv ariel.
So I've been looking for long masonry drills and came across
Hilka offering 400mm long m/drills.
Are Hilka a good brand?

Thanks.

Arthur
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:

I want to reposition the entry point for a tv ariel.
So I've been looking for long masonry drills and came across
Hilka offering 400mm long m/drills.
Are Hilka a good brand?

If you have a market near you, you may well find there is a tool
stall selling random large drill bits for surprisingly little. I
keep trying to tell myself that I don't need one right now, but
they are very tempting.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 15:27:32 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:
keep trying to tell myself that I don't need one right now, but
they are very tempting.

Well, you just know one day you'll have some random job to do where you
have every other tool needed apart from a long drill bit, so you'll have
the inconvenience and expense of going into town just to pick one up.

At least that's the way I justify buying things that I don't get around to
using until years later

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jules" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 15:27:32 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:
keep trying to tell myself that I don't need one right now, but
they are very tempting.

Well, you just know one day you'll have some random job to do where you
have every other tool needed apart from a long drill bit, so you'll have
the inconvenience and expense of going into town just to pick one up.

At least that's the way I justify buying things that I don't get around to
using until years later

I have a couple of Rawlplug extensions. I think there was a 30 year gap
between the times that I wanted to use them both together.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hilka is generally rubbish, but the sds bit seems to make quite a bit
less difference than the ability of machine driving it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
I want to reposition the entry point for a tv ariel.
So I've been looking for long masonry drills and came across
Hilka offering 400mm long m/drills.
Are Hilka a good brand?

I take it we are talking SDS?

I bought a cheap set from Toolstation and they have been fine.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
I want to reposition the entry point for a tv ariel.
So I've been looking for long masonry drills and came across
Hilka offering 400mm long m/drills.
Are Hilka a good brand?

I take it we are talking SDS?

I bought a cheap set from Toolstation and they have been fine.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

But - what is in a "Brand" name. (nowadays). Any item can be made anywhere
(usually China) to a range of specifications and have a brand name attached.
One can no longer assume that one decent product in a range will infer
similar qualities across the range (Except Miele before anyone jumps!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:12:21 +0000, John wrote:
But - what is in a "Brand" name. (nowadays). Any item can be made
anywhere (usually China) to a range of specifications and have a brand
name attached. One can no longer assume that one decent product in a
range will infer similar qualities across the range (Except Miele before
anyone jumps!)

Indeed. I've seen plenty of DIY products where there's lots of commonality
between components across the brands - in some cases it even *is* the same
product, just with different sugar-coating and branding on it.

Brand name seems to be mostly ******** these days - best you can do is go
look at the physical items and make an assesment as to quality/longevity
from there (which doesn't necessarily help with drill bits - but at least
they're often cheap enough that you can keep a few spares on the shelf
just in case)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2009-02-09, Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
I want to reposition the entry point for a tv ariel.
So I've been looking for long masonry drills and came across
Hilka offering 400mm long m/drills.
Are Hilka a good brand?

They were when I bought my socket set 30 years ago... )

I have a set of no-name 450mm 8,10,12mm (non-SDS) masonary
drills (or maybe 6,8,10mm, can't recall off-hand). I bought
them for 99p in the market. I expected them to do one hole
each, if I was lucky. 10 years later, they still work
brilliantly and were the best (non-SDS) masonary drills I
have ever had. Ideal for drilling holes through walls for
phone/alarm/data cables. You just can't always tell up front.

I also have a Rolson 1000mm 12,16,24mm SDS set, which was very
cheap from CPC (around £7 IIRC, and I've since seen quite
cheaply elsewhere. I've not used them much, but they have been
fine too, so far.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2009-02-09, Arthur 51 wrote:
Hi all.
I want to reposition the entry point for a tv ariel.
So I've been looking for long masonry drills and came across
Hilka offering 400mm long m/drills.
Are Hilka a good brand?

They were when I bought my socket set 30 years ago... )

I have a set of no-name 450mm 8,10,12mm (non-SDS) masonary
drills (or maybe 6,8,10mm, can't recall off-hand). I bought
them for 99p in the market. I expected them to do one hole
each, if I was lucky. 10 years later, they still work
brilliantly and were the best (non-SDS) masonary drills I
have ever had. Ideal for drilling holes through walls for
phone/alarm/data cables. You just can't always tell up front.

I also have a Rolson 1000mm 12,16,24mm SDS set, which was very
cheap from CPC (around �7 IIRC, and I've since seen quite
cheaply elsewhere. I've not used them much, but they have been
fine too, so far.

Just say no! Your sanity is in danger kids. I once, in a moment of
derangement, decided to try a pack of cheapo masonry bits. I only had
one hole to do, cba to travel to the proper tool place... surely 3
bits would do that! Bzzzt, wrong answer. Each one managed about 1/4
the hole in soft brick - and thats with several regrinds along the
way. Eventually I'd had enough and went and got the SDS, and 45
minutes of hard slog became an easy 1 minute job.

Andrew has been very lucky.

NT

Screwfix Masonry Drills . Stuart UK diy 12 March 26th 06 03:47 AM
FA: bundle of 25 number 13 drills, 6 inches long, HSS bill Metalworking 1 September 19th 05 05:31 AM
Who was looking for LONG brad point drills? Unquestionably Confused Woodworking 0 August 12th 05 05:14 PM
Masonry drills (not) Geo UK diy 24 May 3rd 05 04:10 PM
Long Masonry Drill Bits Sparks UK diy 25 January 9th 04 11:28 PM