Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default spirit levels

Hi,

Does the group have any recommendations for a good spirit level, or
any tales of bad spirit levels best to avoid?

I ask because some years ago, I bought a 4' level from Screwfix. It
was a cheap, unbranded one. I have used it to put up shelves and
radiators without problems but the other week, I was trying to install
a door frame.

The level said the wall was plumb, the frame was plumb, and the door
was plumb. But the door would not close; it fouled against the frame.

Standing back, I noticed that the wall (and thus the frame) were not
truly vertical. I put a packer between the top of the frame and the
wall, which bought the frame true and the door shut perfectly.

I cannot understand why the level said the frame and wall were plumb
when they were not. Is it that they are less accurate when used
vertically than horizontal? Is it that unbranded ones are just less
accurate?

I notice that branded ones say they are accurate to 0.5mm/m but
unbranded ones keep quiet about their accuracy!

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2012 10:15, Fred wrote:
[...]

It's best to check *any* spirit level periodically by putting it on a
levelish surface and then turning it round to make sure that the bubble
is in the same relative position. The same applies for vertical
measurement, by putting each edge in turn against (say) a door jamb, and
checking that it tells the same story both ways round. Some levels have
the bubble bits in circular housings which can be rotated slightly to
make them read true.

The only trouble I've had with the cheap Screwfix levels is that if you
put one down a bit heavily, the bubble breaks up into hundreds of little
bubbles and takes ages to re-combine.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 30, 10:15*am, Fred wrote:
[...]

I've used levels from fancy quality quality to poundland, and they all
work perfectly well. Is good practice to check the level before each
job - just put it on a level surface both ways round, if it reads the
same each way its good.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2012 10:15, Fred wrote:
[...]

As others have said, check the bubble by turning the level.

Cheap levels work OK if treated gently. I did have a Magnusson B&Q own
label level which was ****e as the vial frequently fell out!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
[...]

As I am an electrician I have to ask "what is a spirit level and why would
you need one?"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 30/06/2012 10:15, Fred wrote:
[...]

If the vertical has only one bubble unit it may or may not read upside down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
wrote:
Fred wrote:
[...]

You might want to install eitehr a socket outlet or a switch and have the
top edge hoizontal - you know it makes sense.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 12:08:38 +0100, charles
wrote:

In article , ARWadsworth
wrote:
Fred wrote:
[...]

or make a cable run vertical or horizontal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2012 10:15, Fred wrote:
Hi,

Does the group have any recommendations for a good spirit level, or
any tales of bad spirit levels best to avoid?

Depend a bit on what you want to use them for... For example, my medium
sized level (approx 90 cm) I have found great for many tasks, but not
good for brickwork, because the vial is not as easy to see from the top
- being partially enclosed.

I ask because some years ago, I bought a 4' level from Screwfix. It
was a cheap, unbranded one. I have used it to put up shelves and
radiators without problems but the other week, I was trying to install
a door frame.

With any level it is worth checking from time to time. Draw a line on a
surface, then reverse and draw again - the lines should be parallel!

The level said the wall was plumb, the frame was plumb, and the door
was plumb. But the door would not close; it fouled against the frame.

Standing back, I noticed that the wall (and thus the frame) were not
truly vertical. I put a packer between the top of the frame and the
wall, which bought the frame true and the door shut perfectly.

I cannot understand why the level said the frame and wall were plumb
when they were not. Is it that they are less accurate when used
vertically than horizontal? Is it that unbranded ones are just less
accurate?

It could be its always been out on the vertical vial, but since that
gets used less it has not been noticed.

Better levels are adjustable, cheap ones might be stuck wrong!

I notice that branded ones say they are accurate to 0.5mm/m but
unbranded ones keep quiet about their accuracy!

That's before they have been dropped and kicked about a bit as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes

I notice that branded ones say they are accurate to 0.5mm/m but
unbranded ones keep quiet about their accuracy!

TIA

As I am an electrician I have to ask "what is a spirit level and why would
you need one?"

They are handy for leaning on, when I hurt my back earlier this year I
used one as a walking stick for a couple of days.

Handy for beating the apprentice with?

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

I notice that branded ones say they are accurate to 0.5mm/m but
unbranded ones keep quiet about their accuracy!

TIA

As I am an electrician I have to ask "what is a spirit level and
why would you need one?"

They are handy for leaning on, when I hurt my back earlier this year
I used one as a walking stick for a couple of days.

Handy for beating the apprentice with?

I spent an hour last week teaching an apprentice to use one. He is OK with
new builds where the back boxes are surface mounted but he struggled with
rewires where the boxes are sunk flush and he could not rest the level on
top of the back box. He got there in the end. I double checked all the boxes
he installed and only one had to be altered.

I was rather pleased with his work. In fact I was so pleased with his work I
sent him to the shop in the pouring rain to buy 2 massive bacon, sausage and
egg sandwiches for us (with my money). I even let him use my hi-viz
waterproof jacket and my hi-viz waterproof trousers for the trip:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/12 11:46, ARWadsworth wrote:

As I am an electrician I have to ask "what is a spirit level and why would
you need one?"

That would explain this :-)
http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=100_0886.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pcb1962 wrote:
On 30/06/12 11:46, ARWadsworth wrote:

As I am an electrician I have to ask "what is a spirit level and
why would you need one?"

That would explain this :-)
http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=100_0886.jpg

That was on yesterdays snagging list.

It is still not my problem:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30.06.2012 11:32, NT wrote:

I've used levels from fancy quality quality to poundland, and they all
work perfectly well. Is good practice to check the level before each
job - just put it on a level surface both ways round, if it reads the
same each way its good.

If it do not reads the same each way it is still good.
You just make a note in your head where that bubble must
be located in order to have a leveled surface.
As simple as that!
--
jo
"The universe we observe has precisely the properties

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

I was rather pleased with his work. In fact I was so pleased with his work I
sent him to the shop in the pouring rain to buy 2 massive bacon, sausage and
egg sandwiches for us (with my money). I even let him use my hi-viz
waterproof jacket and my hi-viz waterproof trousers for the trip:-)

You're all heart, Adam.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 20:49:21 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

If the vertical has only one bubble unit it may or may not read upside down.

I've a 2m level where the vertical is only a couple of inches from one end -
my eye-level is about 1m 83 and I can't read the vial thing!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:15:51 +0100, Fred wrote:

Hi,

Does the group have any recommendations for a good spirit level, or
any tales of bad spirit levels best to avoid?

I recently got a set of four (300, 600, 1200 and 2m) from Axminster as a
special offer. The set is still he
http://www.axminster.co.uk/levels-an...02_pg1/#page=2
but seems expensive compared with the set of three plus the 2m separately (I
haven't compared the details).

They seem to be OK when checked and I've just been using the 600 on a new
fence[1].

[1] Bit redundant for vertical as the posts were such that a banana would
have been of more use!

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2012 11:46, ARWadsworth wrote:
Fred wrote:
[...]

Shame on you!!!

When I do electrics, I use a spirit level to make sure my back boxes,
surface mount boxes wall sockets, light switches, are all level.....
There is nothing worse than standing back and spotting a crooked
faceplate or box...

Same goes for when I do plumbing, I use a spirit level on the radiator
wall brackets, on vertical pipes, and for checking that there is a fall
or rise on certain types of pipes such as gravity fed circuits.

Stephen

Stephen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 30, 1:39*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
Bill wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

[...]

Adam- Hide quoted text -

Don't you get the backboxes with the moveable screw fixing to get
round that problem?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
[...]

Stephen- Hide quoted text -

Very few pipes should be level.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2012 11:49, F Murtz wrote:

If the vertical has only one bubble unit it may or may not read upside
down.

Use the other edge. You have no reason to believe that the two bubbles
will show the same level.

Come to that, I don't think I've ever seen two for opposite levels. Mine
all have a vertical and a horizontal bubble, and a couple have a 45
degree one.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2012 10:15, Fred wrote:
[...]

Most you are in Wickes / B&Q etc are only 1mm/1m accuracy .

Worth paying the extra and getting 0.5mm / 1m aqccuracy .... much more
accurate ..

I have a 300mm, 12000, 20000mm level ... the first 2 are DRAPER expert
range and the long one is a FISCO Big X

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2012 20:48, Rick Hughes wrote:
On 30/06/2012 10:15, Fred wrote:
[...]

Blimey, those last two are longer than our buses... :-)

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm looking for one of those audible ones that used to be everywhere a few
years ago. I found one and ordered it but nothing has turned up though I
suspect the company has got my dosh. I feel a fight going on.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Bill" wrote in message
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

I notice that branded ones say they are accurate to 0.5mm/m but
unbranded ones keep quiet about their accuracy!

TIA

As I am an electrician I have to ask "what is a spirit level and why would
you need one?"

They are handy for leaning on, when I hurt my back earlier this year I
used one as a walking stick for a couple of days.

Handy for beating the apprentice with?

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:

I cannot understand why the level said the frame and wall were plumb when
they were not. Is it that they are less accurate when used vertically than
horizontal? Is it that unbranded ones are just less accurate?

If you put a level on a flat surface, then lift one end very slightly, it's
worth noting just how much the bubble moves by. Conversely, you need to be
careful looking at the bubble to be certain it's properly aligned between
the marks in the tube.

Do you have perfectly sharp vision? (I was soldering something small
yesterday & found my reading glasses no longer show me things crisply
enough...)

As a matter of course I've always used the longest spirit level that will
fit into/onto whatever I'm levelling AND have always tried it in the reverse
orientation as well, just to cross-check each reading.

Also in a lot of situations something that's technically level/plumb will
look wrong if some part of the adjacent furniture/fittings is not perfectly
level/plumb. It's not always clear what to do.

Someone else mentioned always using a level when eg fitting back boxes; I've
seen people using a 6" level for that - I wonder if that's really accurate
enough.

to replacing "aaa" by "284".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"F Murtz" wrote in message
ond.com...

The Medway Handyman wrote:
On 30/06/2012 10:15, Fred wrote:
[...]

But it would read back to front

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:46:52 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Fred wrote:
[...]

No doubt that's why all your sockets you install look wonky.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2012 14:10, ARWadsworth wrote:
pcb1962 wrote:
On 30/06/12 11:46, ARWadsworth wrote:

As I am an electrician I have to ask "what is a spirit level and
why would you need one?"

That would explain this :-)
http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/q...t=100_0886.jpg

That was on yesterdays snagging list.

It is still not my problem:-)

Can't you make it your problem and bill the client for a nice
Multimaster Top to fix it ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2012 10:15, Fred wrote:
[...]

ooops a 0 too many ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, June 30, 2012 10:15:51 AM UTC+1, Fred wrote:
[...]

Some levels have a longer vial for horizontal than for vertical, which should make them more accurate. I'd tend to agree with the other suggestions, though, and say it's not the basic accuracy but the setup of the vial used for vertical measurements that's out. You can usually adjust this, though some levels I've had are better than others...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, June 30, 2012 11:46:52 AM UTC+1, wrote:

As I am an electrician I have to ask "what is a spirit level and why would
you need one?"

--
Adam

Do please tell me that was a wah.
Please.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As I am an electrician I have to ask "what is a spirit level and
why would you need one?"

--
Adam

Do please tell me that was a wah.
Please.

wah?
way above head?

I just considered it to be a joke.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As I am an electrician I have to ask "what is a spirit level and
why would you need one?"

--
Adam

Do please tell me that was a wah.
Please.

wah?
way above head?

I just considered it to be a joke.

And one that Dave Plowman would usually comment on:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2012 10:15, Fred wrote:
[...]

But when do you need that degree of accuracy? Can't think of anything I
do where 0.5mm over a metre would make any difference. You certainly
wouldn't be able to see that with the naked eye.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Buy a Bosch Quigo from Amazon or somewhere.
Self Levelling Laser, paints a cross-on a wall, acrow, floor, lintel, door, shelf, tiling, wallpaper, sockets, wood panelling, anything. Suspect it is not good enough outdoors, but it is absolutely wonderful otherwise.

A good cheap spirit level is a Stabila 24", 0.5mm/m accuracy, german, about £12 delivered if you shop around (sometimes better).

The Quigo is a wonderful tool though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/06/2012 10:15, Fred wrote:
[...]

I would argue that it can be a mistake to go for too accurate a level, as it reduces usability. My most accurate level is a Hilger and Watts level with 0.05mm per metre divisions. It's great for getting say a large machine, which has already been levelled with something cruder, to be as level as possible - but it's absolutely useless for general work, as the bubble just zips from one end of the vial to the other with an almost imperceptible movement. The fact that the body is a couple of kilos of cast iron doesn't help, either...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, June 30, 2012 1:39:29 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Bill wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

[...]

That sounds serious, are you in love ;-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
On Saturday, June 30, 2012 1:39:29 PM UTC+1,
wrote:
Bill wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

[...]

No. It was ****ing it down and I was starving. And rewarding good work is
just as satisifying as bollocking them for lying to you.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I cannot understand why the level said the frame and wall were plumb
when they were not. Is it that they are less accurate when used
vertically than horizontal? Is it that unbranded ones are just less
accurate?

It's easy to check - place it against a vertical, then turn it around
and try again - it should be the same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:28:27 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

It's best to check *any* spirit level periodically by putting it on a
levelish surface and then turning it round to make sure that the bubble
is in the same relative position. The same applies for vertical
measurement, by putting each edge in turn against (say) a door jamb, and
checking that it tells the same story both ways round.

Thanks everyone. Pretty much everyone said to turn it around and try
it both ways, which I have never heard before nor thought to do. I
shall do that from now on, thanks.

Some levels have the bubble bits in circular housings which can be rotated slightly to
make them read true.

Yes, I will go and see if the vial can be rotated a little.

I'm probably about to ask another daft question but why is the bubble
shorter than the gap between the two lines? I always try to get the
bubble an equal distance from both lines and whilst I suppose that is
easy to do by eye, wouldn't it be simpler to have the space between
the lines the same width as the bubble, so that when level the bubble
touches both lines?

Or do the lines signify something? Are they a 1mm/m slope or
something? Why don't they put this information on the packets, to save
me asking embarrassing questions on Usenet?

TIA

Spirit Levels - was how level is level Jeff[_8_] UK diy 35 April 3rd 08 06:15 PM
lidl electronic spirit levels Tim_UK UK diy 1 August 23rd 07 09:55 PM
Small bullseye spirit levels? Ian White UK diy 6 July 20th 06 05:32 PM
THE SPIRIT OF ST LOUIS J T Woodworking 0 July 25th 05 06:53 AM
High quality spirit levels Jack Woodworking 2 August 16th 04 04:36 AM