Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small bullseye spirit levels?

In another thread, John Rumm wrote:

(normally it does not matter if the cut is not exactly square since
often the stump will be used for fixing a spigoted newel post into, and
it is getting the hole for the spigot upright that matters more)

....which reminds me...

My cordless drill doesn't have those handy built-in spirit levels, on
top and on the end, that are featured on some models.

It would be easy to let a couple of small level vials into the drill
casing, and glue them in with the accuracy required, so it's just a
matter of finding suitably small vials - either by cannibalizing
something else or buying them as separate 'components'.

A two-quid fence post level will provide three linear vials for the top
of the drill (one to smash while getting it out, one to smash while
letting it into the drill body, and one that's just right).

But I can't find any source of *small* bullseye levels for the rear end
of the drill. The ones in the usual electromechanical component
catalogues are too big. Any ideas, please?

--
Ian White
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian White wrote:
In another thread, John Rumm wrote:

(normally it does not matter if the cut is not exactly square since
often the stump will be used for fixing a spigoted newel post into,
and it is getting the hole for the spigot upright that matters more)

...which reminds me...

My cordless drill doesn't have those handy built-in spirit levels, on
top and on the end, that are featured on some models.

But I can't find any source of *small* bullseye levels for the rear end
of the drill. The ones in the usual electromechanical component
catalogues are too big. Any ideas, please?

Photographics ones ?:
http://www.karlu.com/index.php?cPath...4185d43a94b3ea

but they're a bit expensive.

john2
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian White wrote:
In another thread, John Rumm wrote:

My cordless drill doesn't have those handy built-in spirit levels, on
top and on the end, that are featured on some models.

It would be easy to let a couple of small level vials into the drill
casing, and glue them in with the accuracy required, so it's just a
matter of finding suitably small vials - either by cannibalizing
something else or buying them as separate 'components'.

A two-quid fence post level will provide three linear vials for the top
of the drill (one to smash while getting it out, one to smash while
letting it into the drill body, and one that's just right).

But I can't find any source of *small* bullseye levels for the rear end
of the drill. The ones in the usual electromechanical component
catalogues are too big. Any ideas, please?

I have a tripod (Cullmans) for a camera which has just such an item as
an optional add-on accessory (10-15mm diameter). I can't find one via a
quick google, but suspect that photographic suppliers would be the best
area for you to search.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
Ian White wrote:

[...]

Oh - just seen the john2's reply! Mine is definitely a bull's eye
version, not like the Hama one.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian White wrote:
[...]

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=100792
No idea if you could use the embedded spirit level in this, but maybe worth
a look.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian White wrote:

But I can't find any source of *small* bullseye levels for the rear end
of the drill. The ones in the usual electromechanical component
catalogues are too big. Any ideas, please?

I assume that you're wanting to cater for the situation where you're
drilling vertically downwards.

I needed to do that and first of all needed to mark the end of the
drill, as though the centre of the shaft had come through and out of the
back. There are several ways it could be done, but tried to improvised a
way with a plumb bob suspended over my workshop vice. I marked the vice
where it touched, clamped a 1/2 round bar into the vice and then ensure
that the upper end of the bar was aligned with the plumb bob, but
unfortunately the vice couldn't be persuaded to hold the bar exactly
vertically.

So I clamped the bar horizontally and used the spot from an IR
thermometer to shine along the axis of the rod, closed the drill chuck
onto the round bar and marked the other end where the spot touched.

Then I marked the point where I wanted to drill and arranged the plumb
line over that spot, with the string passing through a hole in a bit of
scrap metal clamped two or three feet above it. It was then a simple
matter to raise the plumb bob appropropiately and use it to check that
the drill was absolutely level.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian White wrote:
[...]

Attempt 3 at posting as the previous ones via Tiscali didn't seem to
make it.....

Not sure if this has already been suggested but Axminster do a 35mm
bullseye
level for £3.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/12/...evel-20238.htm

Hope this helps