Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wanna popup - go to Simply Scuba

While looking around for diving stuff the other evening, one of the
sites I visited was Simply Scuba.

I now have an annoying popup advertising their site following me around
the web

So ... watch it !

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Which browser is it?

I thought these could be rmoved quite easily these days.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"geoff" wrote in message

While looking around for diving stuff the other evening, one of the sites
I visited was Simply Scuba.

I now have an annoying popup advertising their site following me around
the web

So ... watch it !

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2012 19:02, geoff wrote:

While looking around for diving stuff the other evening, one of the
sites I visited was Simply Scuba.

I now have an annoying popup advertising their site following me around
the web

So ... watch it !

You must have accepted something ... I am a regular customer of Simply
Scuba .. and I don't get a problem.
I do though have popups turned off on Browser

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
I now have an annoying popup advertising their site following me around
the web

You allow adverts? How quaint ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
geoff wrote:
I now have an annoying popup advertising their site following me around
the web

You allow adverts? How quaint ...

Recent rebuild - I haven't turned them off

The point being I don't expect a professional company (british award
winning etc ...) to act in such a way

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Andy Burns writes:

You allow adverts?

Recent rebuild - I haven't turned them off
The point being I don't expect a professional company (british award
winning etc ...) to act in such a way

More down to which scabby outfit you buy your Ad impressions through I
suppose .. I'm generally shocked when I "borrow" a non-adblocked
computer as to how intrusive they're getting, but I suppose adblocking
needs to remain a minority sport or they'll find ways to force us to
watch them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2012 21:07, Andy Burns wrote:
I suppose adblocking needs to remain a minority sport
or they'll find ways to force us to watch them.

Thank goodness most computer users are like Jen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olv3gdg7wTc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I always use ad blockers. The firefox one seems to be very good, the IE one,
simpl adblocker is now commercial but the free early version still seems to
be working. the update times out after a time and only blocks 100 at each
run.

I need adblockers due to the issue of graphical adverts that are just
gibberish.
Interestingly, more and more sites will say you have to unblock ads to use
their site, Ch 5 demand 5 being one of them.

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

"soup" wrote in message ...
On 28/06/2012 21:07, Andy Burns wrote:
I suppose adblocking needs to remain a minority sport
or they'll find ways to force us to watch them.

Thank goodness most computer users are like Jen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olv3gdg7wTc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , geoff
writes

While looking around for diving stuff the other evening, one of the
sites I visited was Simply Scuba.

I now have an annoying popup advertising their site following me around
the web

So ... watch it !

Thanks for the warning, that's nasty.

I have used another member of the group in the past and didn't have any
bother like that but I do have my browser set to delete cookies when it
is closed and do have the domains of google analytics et al blocked.

FWIW, I found them speedy and helpful when I had a query, they may
respond favourably to an email complaint, particularly if you mention
that it felt like a browser hijack.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred writes
In article , geoff
writes

While looking around for diving stuff the other evening, one of the
sites I visited was Simply Scuba.

I now have an annoying popup advertising their site following me around
the web

So ... watch it !

Thanks for the warning, that's nasty.

I have used another member of the group in the past and didn't have any
bother like that but I do have my browser set to delete cookies when it
is closed and do have the domains of google analytics et al blocked.

FWIW, I found them speedy and helpful when I had a query, they may
respond favourably to an email complaint, particularly if you mention
that it felt like a browser hijack.

Nah, I phoned them up and told them that I will stick up a poster at
every dive site I ever go to warning of this unprofessional behaviour
from Menado to Sharm

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2012 23:06, geoff wrote:

Nah, I phoned them up and told them that I will stick up a poster at
every dive site I ever go to warning of this unprofessional behaviour
from Menado to Sharm

Don't really see this as unprofessional .... it's a valid for of
ebusiness, and if 'you' don't want it, then turn off pop-ups.

There are MUCH bigger firms that Simply Scuba using this approach ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , Rick Hughes
writes
On 29/06/2012 23:06, geoff wrote:

Nah, I phoned them up and told them that I will stick up a poster at
every dive site I ever go to warning of this unprofessional behaviour
from Menado to Sharm

Don't really see this as unprofessional .... it's a valid for of
ebusiness, and if 'you' don't want it, then turn off pop-ups.

No its not

There are MUCH bigger firms that Simply Scuba using this approach ...

....and they are firms that will never get my business..

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , Rick Hughes
writes
On 29/06/2012 23:06, geoff wrote:

Nah, I phoned them up and told them that I will stick up a poster at
every dive site I ever go to warning of this unprofessional behaviour
from Menado to Sharm

Don't really see this as unprofessional .... it's a valid for of
ebusiness, and if 'you' don't want it, then turn off pop-ups.

No its not

There are MUCH bigger firms that Simply Scuba using this approach ...

...and they are firms that will never get my business..

exactly

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 18:59:07 +0100, geoff wrote:

Don't really see this as unprofessional .... it's a valid for of
ebusiness, and if 'you' don't want it, then turn off pop-ups.

No its not

+1
Puts me right off dealing with a company and I'll tell them why.

Making SCUBA Tanks. Very Interesting! [email protected] Metalworking 2 September 16th 08 04:36 PM
Cleaning Popup Plug Rod UK diy 5 April 27th 08 01:07 PM
Popup bathroom sink Noel Home Repair 1 December 4th 07 08:55 PM
Scuba fitting specifications Richard J Kinch Metalworking 7 March 8th 05 11:45 PM