Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet flushing problem

We have a number of toilets with the new dual flushing mechanisms. I
think they are Jollyfill.

Occasionally the flushing mechanism jams open at the bottom, so that
water is continuously flushing the toilet. The cistern never fills so
the inlet valve does not close off.

Are there simple adjustments that can be made to fix this.Knowing our
builder they were probably very cheap (I have had to replace the inlet
mechanism on one of them. If the advice is to replace them, how easy
is the task - I do not fancy disassembling the cistern from the toilet
bowl.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Jonathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2012 18:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
Can you see what exactly is jamming? If its a siphon this ought to be rather
obvious.
Brian

Trouble is Brian, they ain't a siphon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2012 17:17, Jonathan wrote:
We have a number of toilets with the new dual flushing mechanisms. I
think they are Jollyfill.

Occasionally the flushing mechanism jams open at the bottom, so that
water is continuously flushing the toilet. The cistern never fills so
the inlet valve does not close off.

Are there simple adjustments that can be made to fix this.Knowing our
builder they were probably very cheap (I have had to replace the inlet
mechanism on one of them. If the advice is to replace them, how easy
is the task - I do not fancy disassembling the cistern from the toilet
bowl.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Is this the type that has a float on the side of the flush to counter
balance it? If so, you need to adjust that - trial & error I'm afraid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 28, 5:17*pm, Jonathan wrote:
We have a number of toilets with the new dual flushing mechanisms. I
think they are Jollyfill.

Occasionally the flushing mechanism jams open at the bottom, so that
water is continuously flushing the toilet. The cistern never fills so
the inlet valve does not close off.

Are there simple adjustments that can be made to fix this.Knowing our
builder they were probably very cheap (I have had to replace the inlet
mechanism on one of them. If the advice is to replace them, how easy
is the task - I do not fancy disassembling the cistern from the toilet
bowl.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Jonathan

Get rid of them and install a dual flush syphon. They fail sfe. Not
that there's much to go wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:18:27 +0100
The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 28/06/2012 18:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
Can you see what exactly is jamming? If its a siphon this ought to
be rather obvious.
Brian

Trouble is Brian, they ain't a siphon.

Are these things a variation of the horrid American flapper-over-a-hole
device? Guaranteed to lose seal when you are away for a couple of
weeks, especially bad with metered water supply.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
They fail sfe.

indeed

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 28, 7:51*pm, harry wrote:
On Jun 28, 5:17*pm, Jonathan wrote:

We have a number of toilets with the new dual flushing mechanisms. I
think they are Jollyfill.

Occasionally the flushing mechanism jams open at the bottom, so that
water is continuously flushing the toilet. The cistern never fills so
the inlet valve does not close off.

Are there simple adjustments that can be made to fix this.Knowing our
builder they were probably very cheap (I have had to replace the inlet
mechanism on one of them. If the advice is to replace them, how easy
is the task - I do not fancy disassembling the cistern from the toilet
bowl.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Jonathan

Get rid of them and install a dual flush syphon. They fail sfe. *Not
that there's much to go wrong.

Are these universal, i.e. will fit any csytern regardless of the
distance apart of the inlet and outlet holes?

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 28, 7:26*pm, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 28/06/2012 17:17, Jonathan wrote:

We have a number of toilets with the new dual flushing mechanisms. I
think they are Jollyfill.

Occasionally the flushing mechanism jams open at the bottom, so that
water is continuously flushing the toilet. The cistern never fills so
the inlet valve does not close off.

Are there simple adjustments that can be made to fix this.Knowing our
builder they were probably very cheap (I have had to replace the inlet
mechanism on one of them. If the advice is to replace them, how easy
is the task - I do not fancy disassembling the cistern from the toilet
bowl.

Any advice/help would be much appreciated.

Is this the type that has a float on the side of the flush to counter
balance it? *If so, you need to adjust that - trial & error I'm afraid.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Is this done by adjusting it up and down. I cannot see how the
mechanism works, so it is unclear what I am trying to achieve.

thanks

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2012 09:08, Jonathan wrote:
On Jun 28, 7:26 pm, The Medway
wrote:
[...]

If it's this type
http://www.healeyandlord.com/media/p...VERSAL_KIT.pdf

There are 3 things to look for.

Is the overflow set too low?
Is the seal OK? You can twist the mechanism & pull it out to see.

AFAIK the float on the outside controls the level at which the mechanism
drops to stop the flush. Try adjusting & see what happens.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2012 09:07, Jonathan wrote:
On Jun 28, 7:51 pm, wrote:
On Jun 28, 5:17 pm, wrote:

[...]

Pretty much. There are 2 sizes IIRC.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2012 19:51, harry wrote:

Get rid of them and install a dual flush syphon. They fail sfe. Not
that there's much to go wrong.

Is there any standard that says what action performs a long / short flush?

I recently fitted the B&Q one and (by design) it's lever down-and-let go
for a long flush, down-and-hold for a short flush, which seems
non-intuitive.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2012 12:14, Reentrant wrote:
On 28/06/2012 19:51, harry wrote:

Get rid of them and install a dual flush syphon. They fail sfe. Not
that there's much to go wrong.

Is there any standard that says what action performs a long / short flush?

I recently fitted the B&Q one and (by design) it's lever down-and-let go
for a long flush, down-and-hold for a short flush, which seems
non-intuitive.

Similarly for a button flush. Is the large button for a large flush or
the most commonly used flush?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/06/2012 12:27, Andrew May wrote:
On 29/06/2012 12:14, Reentrant wrote:
On 28/06/2012 19:51, harry wrote:

Get rid of them and install a dual flush syphon. They fail sfe. Not
that there's much to go wrong.

Is there any standard that says what action performs a long / short
flush?

I recently fitted the B&Q one and (by design) it's lever down-and-let go
for a long flush, down-and-hold for a short flush, which seems
non-intuitive.

Similarly for a button flush. Is the large button for a large flush or
the most commonly used flush?

With many of them I can't tell the difference....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 28/06/2012 18:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
Can you see what exactly is jamming? If its a siphon this ought to
be rather obvious.
* Brian

Trouble is Brian, they ain't a siphon.

Are these things a variation of the horrid American flapper-over-a-hole
device? Guaranteed to lose seal when you are away for a couple of
weeks, especially bad with metered water supply.
--
Davey.

Does anyone else back that opinion up ? I fitted one a couple of
years ago and have been well pleased with it.
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 28/06/2012 18:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
Can you see what exactly is jamming? If its a siphon this ought
to be rather obvious.
Â* Brian

Trouble is Brian, they ain't a siphon.

Are these things a variation of the horrid American
flapper-over-a-hole device? Guaranteed to lose seal when you are
away for a couple of weeks, especially bad with metered water
supply. --
Davey.

Does anyone else back that opinion up ? I fitted one a couple of
years ago and have been well pleased with it.
Rob

I don't care whether they do or not, it happened to me several times,
with variations. It wasn't always while I was away, for example.
Did you fit an American device, as described?
And I still don't have an answer to my question.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for all your responses I shall start by having a look at the
seal. I had not realised that you could just twist them out.

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 28/06/2012 18:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
Can you see what exactly is jamming? If its a siphon this ought to
be rather obvious.
Brian

Trouble is Brian, they ain't a siphon.

Are these things a variation of the horrid American flapper-over-a-hole
device? Guaranteed to lose seal when you are away for a couple of
weeks, especially bad with metered water supply.

Does anyone else back that opinion up ?

I don't. I've had two for over 40 years now and have
never had one fail while away for a couple of weeks.

The only time one has failed in the sense of not stopping the water
flow, its been just after its been flushed and so is easy to notice and
fix. And that's only ever happened the once as well.

I fitted one a couple of years ago and have been well pleased with it.

Yeah, no problem with either of mine in much longer than that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 06:12:47 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 28/06/2012 18:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
Can you see what exactly is jamming? If its a siphon this
ought to be rather obvious.
Brian

Trouble is Brian, they ain't a siphon.

Are these things a variation of the horrid American
flapper-over-a-hole device? Guaranteed to lose seal when you are
away for a couple of weeks, especially bad with metered water
supply.

Does anyone else back that opinion up ?

I don't. I've had two for over 40 years now and have
never had one fail while away for a couple of weeks.

The only time one has failed in the sense of not stopping the water
flow, its been just after its been flushed and so is easy to notice
and fix. And that's only ever happened the once as well.

But it has happened. Not everyone waits staring at the toilet long
enough after flushing it to notice if it has stopped flowing or not,
especially if you close the lid after use, to prevent dogs using it
as a water bowl.

I fitted one a couple of years ago and have been well pleased with
it.

Yeah, no problem with either of mine in much longer than that.

I am glad for you. And I don't know how old the ones I had that
leaked were, they were mostly in rented property.
But I still don't know if the UK dual-flush devices are versions of
this, or not. Will somebody please confirm, yeah or nay?

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 28/06/2012 18:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
Can you see what exactly is jamming? If its a siphon this
ought to be rather obvious.
Brian

Trouble is Brian, they ain't a siphon.

Are these things a variation of the horrid American
flapper-over-a-hole device? Guaranteed to lose seal when you are
away for a couple of weeks, especially bad with metered water
supply.

Does anyone else back that opinion up ?

I don't. I've had two for over 40 years now and have
never had one fail while away for a couple of weeks.

The only time one has failed in the sense of not stopping the water
flow, its been just after its been flushed and so is easy to notice
and fix. And that's only ever happened the once as well.

But it has happened.

Sure, but that's just as true of any other toilet
cistern system that's ever been invented.

Not everyone waits staring at the toilet long enough
after flushing it to notice if it has stopped flowing or not,

But even someone as stupid as you would notice
when you come to use it again, that its got water
flowing into the bowel when that shouldn't be happening.

especially if you close the lid after use,
to prevent dogs using it as a water bowl.

Even you would likely notice when you raise the lid again to use it next
time.

I fitted one a couple of years ago and have been well pleased with
it.

Yeah, no problem with either of mine in much longer than that.

I am glad for you. And I don't know how old the ones I had that
leaked were, they were mostly in rented property.
But I still don't know if the UK dual-flush devices are versions of
this, or not. Will somebody please confirm, yeah or nay?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Corse it is. There isnt one that has never ever had a single failure at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

The standard UK syphonic flush system does not leak its water out in
case of a seal failure in the flushing system. The American system does.
And still nobody has told me the answer to my question!
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

********, as described elsewhere.

Not everyone waits staring at the toilet long enough
after flushing it to notice if it has stopped flowing or not,

But even someone as stupid as you would notice
when you come to use it again, that its got water
flowing into the bowel when that shouldn't be happening.

Yes, but if the "again" is not until some weeks later, it's too bloody
late!

especially if you close the lid after use,
to prevent dogs using it as a water bowl.

Even you would likely notice when you raise the lid again to use it
next time.

Yes, but if the "again" is not until some weeks later, it's too bloody
late!

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Not often enough to matter.

And still nobody has told me the answer to my question!

You could try slashing your wrists or sumfin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

********,

Nope.

as described elsewhere.

Nope, just mindlessly bull****ted elsewhere.

Not everyone waits staring at the toilet long enough
after flushing it to notice if it has stopped flowing or not,

But even someone as stupid as you would notice
when you come to use it again, that its got water
flowing into the bowel when that shouldn't be happening.

Yes, but if the "again" is not until some weeks later, it's too bloody
late!

Hardly the end of civilisation as we know it in that extremely unlikely
event.

And many turn the water off before leaving for weeks,
because its possible to see a burst hose on the dishwasher
or washing machine etc etc etc and that will stop the
dunny cistern being a problem too.

especially if you close the lid after use,
to prevent dogs using it as a water bowl.

Even you would likely notice when you raise the lid again to use it
next time.

Yes, but if the "again" is not until some weeks later, it's too bloody
late!

Hardly the end of civilisation as we know it in that extremely unlikely
event.

And many turn the water off before leaving for weeks,
because its possible to see a burst hose on the dishwasher
or washing machine etc etc etc and that will stop the
dunny cistern being a problem too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

It does if you're paying the water bill, and it has been trying
to fill the cistern for a long time. But if there is a system, such as
the syphonic one where such a leak is impossible, why not use it?

And still nobody has told me the answer to my question!

You could try slashing your wrists or sumfin.

After trying to get sense out of you, that is a thought.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

On 28/06/2012 18:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
Can you see what exactly is jamming? If its a siphon this ought to
be rather obvious.
Brian

Trouble is Brian, they ain't a siphon.

Are these things a variation of the horrid American flapper-over-a-hole
device? Guaranteed to lose seal when you are away for a couple of
weeks, especially bad with metered water supply.
--
Davey.

Does anyone else back that opinion up ? I fitted one a couple of
years ago and have been well pleased with it.
Rob

Won't have them in the house. I've met them in hotels, and sometimes
had to flush again to reseat the flap and stop them trickling.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Not all of us are pov chavs like you.

and it has been trying to fill the cistern for a long time.
But if there is a system, such as the syphonic one where
such a leak is impossible, why not use it?

Because many turn off the water before going away for
an extended period so that a burst hose on the dishwasher
or washing machine doesn't produce a flood and that stops
the very very unlikely event that one of those systems will
fail just on the last flush as you head out the door for a while.

You could also get real radical and check if the system has
failed on the last flush before you head out the door for a
while too. Not a shred of rocket science whatever required.

And still nobody has told me the answer to my question!

You could try slashing your wrists or sumfin.

After trying to get sense out of you, that is a thought.

Then just do it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Please explain that comment. In the US, it is normal for water to be
metered If that is not what you mean, please explain.

and it has been trying to fill the cistern for a long time.
But if there is a system, such as the syphonic one where
such a leak is impossible, why not use it?

Because many turn off the water before going away for
an extended period so that a burst hose on the dishwasher
or washing machine doesn't produce a flood and that stops
the very very unlikely event that one of those systems will
fail just on the last flush as you head out the door for a while.

You could also get real radical and check if the system has
failed on the last flush before you head out the door for a
while too. Not a shred of rocket science whatever required.

And still nobody has told me the answer to my question!

You could try slashing your wrists or sumfin.

After trying to get sense out of you, that is a thought.

Then just do it.

I won't give you the satisfaction, I enjoy my life! You, apparently,
have no concept of others' different lives, and that there may be
something different out there that you are not familiar with.
And we are still waiting for an explanation of how a leaking
seal on a syphonic flushing toilet leads to the loss of all the water
in the cistern, according to your earlier statement. So, how?
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davey" wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

[...]

Only a pov chav gnaws its fingernails about
the trivial risk of paying for so little water.

In the US,

Not that US, stupid.

it is normal for water to be metered

Wrong again. Quite a few of them get their water
from their own well or bore and that isnt metered.

If that is not what you mean, please explain.

Just did.

and it has been trying to fill the cistern for a long time.
But if there is a system, such as the syphonic one where
such a leak is impossible, why not use it?

Because many turn off the water before going away for
an extended period so that a burst hose on the dishwasher
or washing machine doesn't produce a flood and that stops
the very very unlikely event that one of those systems will
fail just on the last flush as you head out the door for a while.

You could also get real radical and check if the system has
failed on the last flush before you head out the door for a
while too. Not a shred of rocket science whatever required.

And still nobody has told me the answer to my question!

You could try slashing your wrists or sumfin.

After trying to get sense out of you, that is a thought.

Then just do it.

I won't give you the satisfaction,

OK, the death squad has its orders...

I enjoy my life!

More fool you.

reams of your puerile **** any 2 year old could
leave for dead FLUSHED where it belongs using
an non siphon cistern of course

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Davey
escribió:

Please explain that comment. In the US, it is normal for water to be
metered

He's Australian, actually.

Rod Speed FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/883xp7v

http://www.sensationbot.com/jschat.php?db=rodspeed

You, apparently,
have no concept of others' different lives, and that there may be
something different out there that you are not familiar with.

Quite.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 10:21:28 +0100
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Davey
escribió:

Please explain that comment. In the US, it is normal for water to be
metered

He's Australian, actually.

Rod Speed FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/883xp7v

http://www.sensationbot.com/jschat.php?db=rodspeed

You, apparently,
have no concept of others' different lives, and that there may be
something different out there that you are not familiar with.

Quite.

I know. I was talking about US toilets, as I have from the beginning. I
don't care where Rod is from, but I hope he stays there.
--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 12:23:49 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message

"Davey" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 06:12:47 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

"robgraham" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Which US are you talking about? When I started this branch of the
thread, I referred to 'the American-style toilet flapper'. What is a
'pov chav', anyway?

it is normal for water to be metered

Wrong again. Quite a few of them get their water
from their own well or bore and that isnt metered.

If the exception to 'normal' is 'quite a few', that is not a very great
a proportion of non-metered users. I didn't say 'All' I said it was
normal. That allows for exceptions.

If that is not what you mean, please explain.

Just did.

Inadequately.

snip

reams of your puerile **** any 2 year old could
leave for dead FLUSHED where it belongs using
an non siphon cistern of course

Whatever that is supposed to mean, you still haven't explained how a
leaking seal on a syphonic toilet will cause all the water to leave the
cistern. Because you can't.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Huge
escribió:

I suspect he's 12 y/o and not very bright.

Given the number of years he's been infesting Usenet, I rather doubt it.
He certainly has the mental faculties, debating skills and vocabulary of
a 12 year-old, though.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Davey" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 12:23:49 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

"Davey" wrote in message

"Davey" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 06:12:47 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

"robgraham" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

Wasn't talking about any US, I clearly said us, stupid.

When I started this branch of the thread, I
referred to 'the American -style toilet flapper'.

And you ****ed that up, it isnt theirs.

What is a 'pov chav', anyway?

Even you know what a chav is.

Pov is a contraction of someone 'living' in poverty, on the dole etc.

it is normal for water to be metered

Wrong again. Quite a few of them get their water
from their own well or bore and that isnt metered.

If the exception to 'normal' is 'quite a few', that is
not a very great a proportion of non-metered users.

Wrong, as always.

I didn't say 'All'

No one ever said you did.

I said it was normal.

And you ****ed up, as always.

If that is not what you mean, please explain.

Just did.

Inadequately.

Lying, as always.

reams of your puerile **** any 2 year old could
leave for dead FLUSHED where it belongs using
a non siphon cistern of course

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 2 Jul 2012 07:06:07 +1000
"Rod Speed" wrote:

snip

On 28/06/2012 18:28, Brian Gaff wrote:
Can you see what exactly is jamming? If its a
siphon this ought to be rather obvious.
Brian

Trouble is Brian, they ain't a siphon.

Are these things a variation of the horrid
American flapper-over-a-hole device? Guaranteed
to lose seal when you are away for a couple of
weeks, especially bad with metered water supply.

snip

Rod, I see why most people here have very little regard for your mental
capacity, as it is not being displayed very clearly. Quite simply,
answer me these two STILL UNANSWERED questions:

1. Is the UK dual-flush system similar in function to the American
flapper-over-a-hole system? See original question above. I have no idea
why you say that it isn't theirs, it's the one I saw in every American
house I stayed in. If somebody else invented it, I don't care. And I
wouldn't boast about it, either.
2. How does a leaking seal in the flushing mechanism of a UK syphonic
toilet cistern result in the loss of the water in the cistern?

Please note that I do not descend to your level of abuse, which usually
indicates the lack of a real answer. Nor do I answer your comments that
are just single-word denials, without any explanation.
If you can answer the two questions above, then I will answer you, otherwise, you will be
happily ignored from now on. I get more sense talking to my neighhour's
dogs than I do from you.
--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Davey wrote just the
puerile **** that's all it can ever manage when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Some gutless ****wit desperately cowering behind
Davey wrote just the puerile **** that's all it
can ever manage when its
got done like a ****ing dinner, as it always is.

LMFAO, yet another in the sin bin, so funny.

toilet not flushing BB4LTC Home Repair 7 April 21st 06 04:26 AM
Toilet Flushing problem. CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert Home Repair 3 August 15th 05 01:42 PM
Toilet flushing problem [email protected] UK diy 4 August 9th 05 11:51 PM
Need Advice: Toilet Flushing Problem minuteman1970 Home Repair 3 July 8th 05 11:22 PM
Toilet flushing problem [difficult flushing-possible vent problem] [email protected] Home Ownership 4 March 19th 05 10:30 AM