Junior Member

Default Advice need on knocking kitchen through to conseritory

Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of advice really, we have just moved to a 1970's house which has a conservitory on the back of the house which is accessed via our kitchen. At present the kitchen door and window seperate the two. I have a grand plan to knock the two through to create and open plan kitchen/ conservatory.

I'm guessing my first question would be, do I need planning???

Secondly, I'm guessing I may need to to replace the window/door combo with an RSJ to support the wall above. However saying that it seems there is somekind of support already there. Would there be an existing RSJ above the door and window???

Your comments would be really appreciated
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/06/2012 10:58, deanogtv wrote:
Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of advice really, we have just moved to a 1970's house
which has a conservitory on the back of the house which is accessed via
our kitchen. At present the kitchen door and window seperate the two. I
have a grand plan to knock the two through to create and open plan
kitchen/ conservatory.

I'm guessing my first question would be, do I need planning???

Secondly, I'm guessing I may need to to replace the window/door combo
with an RSJ to support the wall above. However saying that it seems
there is somekind of support already there. Would there be an existing
RSJ above the door and window???

Your comments would be really appreciated

You may not need Planning Permission - but you'll certainly need
Building Regs approval. You'll need to satisfy the BCO that the
structure above the door and window is adequately supported after you
have removed them.

But you have a bigger problem! If it's a conventional conservatory, it
won't be very thermally efficient but - in most cases - it will be
exempt from the thermal efficiently regs *provided* it is separated from
the house by an external-type door. As soon as you remove the door, you
remove the exemption!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"deanogtv" wrote in message

Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of advice really, we have just moved to a 1970's house
which has a conservitory on the back of the house which is accessed via
our kitchen. At present the kitchen door and window seperate the two. I
have a grand plan to knock the two through to create and open plan
kitchen/ conservatory.

I'm guessing my first question would be, do I need planning???

Secondly, I'm guessing I may need to to replace the window/door combo
with an RSJ to support the wall above. However saying that it seems
there is somekind of support already there. Would there be an existing
RSJ above the door and window???

Your comments would be really appreciated

--
deanogtv

Hi Dean.

That is exactly what I did, but I only had a window which has a lintel above
and I knocked the wall down below the window..
I did suspect I would need Planning, but I didn't seek any. But what can
anyone do about it??

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

deanogtv wrote:
Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of advice really, we have just moved to a 1970's
house which has a conservitory on the back of the house which is
accessed via our kitchen. At present the kitchen door and window
seperate the two. I have a grand plan to knock the two through to
create and open plan kitchen/ conservatory.

I'm guessing my first question would be, do I need planning???

Secondly, I'm guessing I may need to to replace the window/door combo
with an RSJ to support the wall above. However saying that it seems
there is somekind of support already there. Would there be an existing
RSJ above the door and window???

Your comments would be really appreciated

Should be a lintel over the existing window/door combo.

I'd live with the house and conservatory seperated for a year first before
you knock them through, as conservatories fall into 2 categories, too hot
and too cold....in summer this thing will have your house like a greenhouse,
and in winter it will allow freezing air into the house

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 28, 10:58*am, deanogtv wrote:
Hi Guys

Looking for a bit of advice really, we have just moved to a 1970's house
which has a conservitory on the back of the house which is accessed via
our kitchen. At present the kitchen door and window seperate the two. I
have a grand plan to knock the two through to create and open plan
kitchen/ conservatory.

I'm guessing my first question would be, do I need planning???

Secondly, I'm guessing I may need to to replace the window/door combo
with an RSJ to support the wall above. However saying that it seems
there is somekind of support already there. Would there be an existing
RSJ above the door and window???

Your comments would be really appreciated

--
deanogtv

Bad idea. You are creating a massive heat loss in Winter and a
massive solar heat gain in Summer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 09:58:41 +0000, deanogtv
wrote:

Looking for a bit of advice really, we have just moved to a 1970's house
which has a conservitory on the back of the house which is accessed via
our kitchen. At present the kitchen door and window seperate the two. I
have a grand plan to knock the two through to create and open plan
kitchen/ conservatory.

As Phil says; remove the window and door (or at least leave them wide
open) for a year to see how it goes.
I'll bet you don't like it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

deanogtv wrote:
I have a grand plan to knock the two through to create and open plan
kitchen/ conservatory.

Are you sure you'll till have sufficient length of walls for sinks,
washing-machines, cupboards etc?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 15:54:26 +0100, Baz wrote:

"deanogtv" wrote in message

[...]

Keep very quiet and fill the hole before you try and sell the house.
Because of lack of thermal insulation in a conservatory it cannot form an
outside wall and be within building regs.