Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Milleniumaire

Default Advice fitting downlighters in Kitchen

I'm being coerced by my wife into fitting downlighters in our kitchen
and have a number of questions:

1. We live in a 7 year old 3 storey house (loft has been converted into
a 5th bedroom). Bedrooms exist above the kitchen. Do the building
regulations require fire integrity between floors? If so, should I be
using flameguard downlighters or hoods?

2. Big brother (the Labour government) has recently decided that we are
not intelligent enough to tinker with home electrics. Is replacing
existing light fittings with downlighters covered by this new
legislation i.e. do I need to employ an electrician to do the job or
can I do it myself?

3. Am I likely to have insulation between the ground and 1st floor in a
7 year old house. I will check this when I get the chance but wondered
if this was compulsary under building regs.

4. Any recommendations on the types of downlighers to user (low voltage
or mains voltage)? If insulation is present (question 3 above) I would
probably go with mains voltage as they are less likely to overheat and
don't need transformers that are also likely to overheat, however, on
the down side, the bulbs will probably need replacing every 5 minutes
and they won't produce as much light as a LV fitting. LV would be my
preference, but although the bulbs will last longer, the transformers
will probably need replacing from time to time!

I would appreciate your advice.

Paul.