Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Simon

Default Wooden vs uPVC door dilemma!

Hi,

We live in an Edwardian semi about 100yds from the sea (plenty of
wind, salt, etc..). The front door is currently a very old aluminium
double glazed door with 2 main glass panels (an somewhat un-attractive
yellow) that is continuously cold to the touch - and very very ugly.
We have just replaced the double glazing (uPVC) and now want to tackle
the front door.

I cannot decide between wooden or uPVC door:
Wooden doors are far more attractive, good range of doors (new or
salvage) to choose from, can be repainted on a whim, accept different
door furniture easily,
uPVC doors are generally white only, limited range, have a high
threshold, are draughtproof, never need maintenance.

Which is the most secure? I have read enough posts here to know that
this answer is a heated topic of discussion.

A chippie who lives next door says he would not put in a wooden door
(turning down potential business!) because of where we live.

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Simon.

Magentic Sensors on uPVC Windows Tim Jenkins UK diy 19 October 19th 03 03:53 PM
Espagnolette handles for wooden doors/windows Colin Blackburn UK diy 7 September 23rd 03 02:45 AM
cleaning upvc frames TXXT123 UK diy 1 September 20th 03 08:03 PM
Wood or uPVC front door Lee Blaver UK diy 7 July 31st 03 09:59 PM