Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strip foundations for shed

Hi,
I'm getting a ten by eight (or maybe a bit bigger) shed, and need to build a decent surface for it. The site is slightly sloping. It will be a fairly good quality shed, so I don't want to skimp on the foundation too much.

Casting a whole slab seems like overkill, so I was thinking of running three strip foundations the full ten foot. They'd be 100mm deep, if not 200 (might need to be 200 to get it remotely level!). I'd then put the shed base on 3" fence posts, sandwiched between roofing felt layers to stop transfer of damp.

So, the questions:

1) how wide should the strips be - a foot?
2) is 100mm deep enough?
3) should I just cast a slab instead?

Thinking about it, it would probably have to be 200mm, with a small layer of packed hard core in the base, to level up.

Thanks,
Nathan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nathan wrote:
[...]

I am thinking teh same or similar but I will use a non proofed floor of
paving slabs, and then simply DPC between a brick plinth and bolted down
timber superstructure.

That allows me to have a level entrance for wheeled machinery.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nathan wrote:
[...]

I love a poster that uses both metric and imperial measurements for a job.

I woud just lay a full concrete slab. But I do have a cement mixer in my
shed.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Nathan writes
Hi,
I'm getting a ten by eight (or maybe a bit bigger) shed, and need to
build a decent surface for it. The site is slightly sloping. It will
be a fairly good quality shed, so I don't want to skimp on the
foundation too much.

Casting a whole slab seems like overkill, so I was thinking of running
three strip foundations the full ten foot. They'd be 100mm deep, if
not 200 (might need to be 200 to get it remotely level!). I'd then put
the shed base on 3" fence posts, sandwiched between roofing felt layers
to stop transfer of damp.

So, the questions:

1) how wide should the strips be - a foot?
2) is 100mm deep enough?
3) should I just cast a slab instead?

Thinking about it, it would probably have to be 200mm, with a small
layer of packed hard core in the base, to level up.

You might want to refer back to previous threads on sheds bases, it's a
regualr topic. Any sort of concrete slab foundations seems bit overkill
to me (unless it is going to be the actual floor of the shed.

I had a 10x8 in the last house. I used the cross fence posts on DPM as
bearers idea. But I just supported them on concrete blocks (or maybe
even half blocks, can't remember now) bedded onto weak drymix
sand/cement . Probably three rows, like you suggest for you strip
foundations.

The ground was a bit sloping, so I cut it back into the slop to make a
flat area of ground. Was stil fine 5 years later when we moved.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/06/2012 15:22, ARWadsworth wrote:
Nathan wrote:
[...]

I was taught metric at school, but used imperial at home. I now use
whichever is more convenient for the task - for instance measuring sheet
material in imperial in one direction and metric the other if the
numbers are round or just simpler. I've even been known to use both for
a single measurement, such as measuring from the end of a sheet to an
existing mark in imperial and the remainder to a cutline in metric, so
ending up with something like "5 feet and 23 cm". If it's for your own
use, then just go with what works!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nathan wrote:
[...]

If I want to upset the apprentices I use imperial.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nathan wrote:
[...]

heh. How able in life are people that cant manage both systems.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 03:22:54 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

Nathan wrote:
[...]

I never understood why they did away with the cubit. A nice,
straightforward base-28 system, been in use for thousands of years and
then some smart-alec marketing types come along and impose yards feet
and inches on us. Harumph!

Nick

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"NT" wrote in message
Nathan wrote:
[...]

Bet farts used to run the same line about rods, chains and perches too.

Planning a Shed to Office conversion (with a new shed). Need some advice rmwebs UK diy 23 July 4th 12 11:02 AM
Recommendations for a base for a shed to encourage a long life (ofthe shed!) larkim UK diy 9 March 8th 12 12:52 AM
Foundations specification - fee Rob[_21_] UK diy 5 June 17th 09 09:04 PM
Foundations Lawrence Zarb UK diy 1 August 23rd 06 05:55 PM
floor covering between strip foundations ? [email protected] UK diy 1 August 1st 05 04:14 PM