Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Battery desulphators

Do they work?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gib Bogle wrote:
Do they work?

If you mean tablets etc, not in my experience. A slow and long high
voltage (30 or so) charge may recover a sulphated 12v battery to some
extent. Provided it's not been left like that for long.

--
*A bicycle can't stand alone because it's two tyred.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Gib Bogle wrote:
Do they work?

If you mean tablets etc, not in my experience.

reminds me when many years ago, as a spotty teenager i was sent on my
pushbike by dad to halfrauds, to get some 'acid tabs' (yes they really were
called that on the pack), to desulphate the battery on his cortina,

didn't figure out at the time why the equally young bod behind the counter
started looking really shifty and whispered out the side of his mouth, 'meet
me round the back of the store after closing time and i'll sort you out,
mate'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 14:38:39 +1200, Gib Bogle
wrote:

Do they work?

EDTA treatment will work on a subset of batteries that happen to be a
bit sulphated and will respond to the treatment.
The very odd time, the tabs will work, but it's mostly a last-ditch
attempt and fairly futile.
The proper EDTA treatment involves draining the battery, putting in
EDTA, flushing it out and re-aciding it properly; easy enough done,
but slightly hazardous.

Electronic de-sulphators also work on a subset of batteries that will
benefit from them. Sometimes they don't work at all. I have one that's
dragged a couple of batteries back from the brink and got several
months useful life out of them. Again, not something to be relied on,
but works sometimes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Do they work?

EDTA treatment will work on a subset of batteries that happen to be a
bit sulphated and will respond to the treatment.
The very odd time, the tabs will work, but it's mostly a last-ditch
attempt and fairly futile.
The proper EDTA treatment involves draining the battery, putting in
EDTA, flushing it out and re-aciding it properly; easy enough done,
but slightly hazardous.

Electronic de-sulphators also work on a subset of batteries that will
benefit from them. Sometimes they don't work at all. I have one that's
dragged a couple of batteries back from the brink and got several
months useful life out of them. Again, not something to be relied on,
but works sometimes.

I was thinking of the electronic method (should have made that clear).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

*wrote:

Do they work?

EDTA treatment will work on a subset of batteries that happen to be a
bit sulphated and will respond to the treatment.
The very odd time, the tabs will work, but it's mostly a last-ditch
attempt and fairly futile.
The proper EDTA treatment involves draining the battery, putting in
EDTA, flushing it out and re-aciding it properly; easy enough done,
but slightly hazardous.

Electronic de-sulphators also work on a subset of batteries that will
benefit from them. Sometimes they don't work at all. I have one that's
dragged a couple of batteries back from the brink and got several
months useful life out of them. Again, not something to be relied on,
but works sometimes.

I was thinking of the electronic method (should have made that clear).

I've got a book that recommends connecting such a battery to the
terminals of a room's lightswitch. I presume this was only intended
for dc mains, though perhaps ac would also desulphate it. I also
remember instructions to use a bit of paper and salt to determine
polarity.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/06/2012 03:38, Gib Bogle wrote:
Do they work?

I emptied one, rinsed with deionised water, and then filled with Battery
acid .... left it on long low charge ... and it seemed all OK afterwards.
I'm sure it didn't get it back to 100% capacity but certainly usable.

I used to see tablets to pop into battery - but no idea if they are any
good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/06/2012 10:07, NT wrote:

I've got a book that recommends connecting such a battery to the
terminals of a room's lightswitch. I presume this was only intended
for dc mains, though perhaps ac would also desulphate it. I also
remember instructions to use a bit of paper and salt to determine
polarity.

If you are connecting across UK mains ... can you take a video, I'm sure
result will be worth a watch.