Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What do you call

Those small metal plates designed to be fitted into a slot rebated into
the back of something. The plate has a hole and a slot machined in it to
allow you to hook it over a protruding screw head as a concealed fixing?

I am sure I have seen somewhere selling them, but can think of what to
search for!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

Those small metal plates designed to be fitted into a slot rebated into
the back of something. The plate has a hole and a slot machined in it to
allow you to hook it over a protruding screw head as a concealed fixing?

I am sure I have seen somewhere selling them, but can think of what to
search for!

This?
http://www.screwmaster.co.uk/mirror-plates-20-c.asp

--
Windows Live Mail?
Use this to make it behave itself:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Those small metal plates designed to be fitted into a slot rebated into
the back of something. The plate has a hole and a slot machined in it to
allow you to hook it over a protruding screw head as a concealed fixing?

I am sure I have seen somewhere selling them, but can think of what to
search for!

Keyhole plate or keyhole hanger for the recessed ones, mirror plate for
the other sort.

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info....=Keyhole+Plate

http://dowel.co.uk/bedroom-accessori...878_26968.html

http://www.amazon.com/Keyhole-Fittin...sim_sbs_misc_1

http://www.toolstation.com/documents...late&submit=Go
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Those small metal plates designed to be fitted into a slot rebated into
the back of something. The plate has a hole and a slot machined in it to
allow you to hook it over a protruding screw head as a concealed fixing?

I am sure I have seen somewhere selling them, but can think of what to
search for!

Fishplate?

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 10:26:12 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

Those small metal plates designed to be fitted into a slot rebated into
the back of something. The plate has a hole and a slot machined in it to
allow you to hook it over a protruding screw head as a concealed fixing?

I am sure I have seen somewhere selling them, but can think of what to
search for!

Fishplate?

No, fish as in fissure or gap. Famously the plates that secure railway
lines together, I mean you couldn't possibly continuously weld them
together because they need gaps to expand...

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
John Rumm wrote

Those small metal plates designed to be fitted into a slot rebated into
the back of something. The plate has a hole and a slot machined in it to
allow you to hook it over a protruding screw head as a concealed fixing?

I am sure I have seen somewhere selling them, but can think of what to
search for!

Fishplate?

No, fish as in fissure or gap. Famously the plates that secure railway
lines together, I mean you couldn't possibly continuously weld them
together because they need gaps to expand...

Have fun explaining
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_(...us_welded_rail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
Graham. wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
John Rumm wrote

Those small metal plates designed to be fitted into a slot rebated
into
the back of something. The plate has a hole and a slot machined in
it to
allow you to hook it over a protruding screw head as a concealed
fixing?

I am sure I have seen somewhere selling them, but can think of what to
search for!

Fishplate?

No, fish as in fissure or gap. Famously the plates that secure railway
lines together, I mean you couldn't possibly continuously weld them
together because they need gaps to expand...

Have fun explaining
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_(...us_welded_rail

Then look at the expansion joints every kilometre or so, which permit a
few centimetres of movement. The rails are laid under varying tension
depending on what the ambient temperature is when they're laid, too.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2012 04:01, Richard wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...

Those small metal plates designed to be fitted into a slot rebated
into the back of something. The plate has a hole and a slot machined
in it to allow you to hook it over a protruding screw head as a
concealed fixing?

I am sure I have seen somewhere selling them, but can think of what to
search for!

This?
http://www.screwmaster.co.uk/mirror-plates-20-c.asp

Not quite - the thing I have in mind is all in a vertical line, with the
retaining screw holes at top and bottom.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/06/2012 04:01, Steve Firth wrote:
John wrote:

Those small metal plates designed to be fitted into a slot rebated into
the back of something. The plate has a hole and a slot machined in it to
allow you to hook it over a protruding screw head as a concealed fixing?

I am sure I have seen somewhere selling them, but can think of what to
search for!

Keyhole plate or keyhole hanger for the recessed ones, mirror plate for
the other sort.

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info....=Keyhole+Plate

Bingo, that's the one...

Ta.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Those small metal plates designed to be fitted into a slot rebated into
the back of something. The plate has a hole and a slot machined in it to
allow you to hook it over a protruding screw head as a concealed fixing?

I am sure I have seen somewhere selling them, but can think of what to
search for!

Keyhole plate or keyhole hanger for the recessed ones, mirror plate for
the other sort.

http://www.woodfit.com/product_info....lour=&colour_m
atch=&Name=Keyhole+Plate

Bingo, that's the one...

Ta.

You're welcome.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Graham. wrote
The Natural Philosopher wrote
John Rumm wrote

Those small metal plates designed to be fitted into a slot rebated
into the back of something. The plate has a hole and a slot machined
in it to allow you to hook it over a protruding screw head as a
concealed fixing?

I am sure I have seen somewhere selling them, but can think of what to
search for!

Fishplate?

No, fish as in fissure or gap. Famously the plates that secure railway
lines together, I mean you couldn't possibly continuously weld them
together because they need gaps to expand...

Have fun explaining
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Track_(...us_welded_rail

Then look at the expansion joints every kilometre or so, which permit a
few centimetres of movement.

Nothing like whats seen with fishplates.

And ours, on the system that carrys by far the biggest freight
trains in the entire world, with as big a temperature range as
is seen anywhere, don't even have those.

The rails are laid under varying tension depending on what the ambient
temperature is when they're laid, too.

Sure, but clearly continuously welded rail is very viable indeed in spite of
his claim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 20:34:16 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

And ours, on the system that carrys by far the biggest freight
trains in the entire world, with as big a temperature range as
is seen anywhere, don't even have those.

You live in Russia?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y