Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden shredders

I'm tarting up the dumping area at the end of the garden, so will be
losing my "bonfire" space. I've got assorted shrubs and a hedge so have
a certain amount of cuttings and trimmings to get rid of periodically. I
wondered if I can get away with a shredder (the council are going to
start collecting bagged stuff, or I guess shreddings can go on my horse
muck-heap). Any comments, advice, recommendations on hardware?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 9:03*am, newshound wrote:
I'm tarting up the dumping area at the end of the garden, so will be
losing my "bonfire" space. I've got assorted shrubs and a hedge so have
a certain amount of cuttings and trimmings to get rid of periodically. I
wondered if I can get away with a shredder (the council are going to
start collecting bagged stuff, or I guess shreddings can go on my horse
muck-heap). Any comments, advice, recommendations on hardware?

They are useless, very very noisy and clog constantly. Only worth
considering if your garden is tiny.

Philip
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, June 5, 2012 9:03:53 AM UTC+1, newshound wrote:
I'm tarting up the dumping area at the end of the garden, so will be
losing my "bonfire" space. I've got assorted shrubs and a hedge so have
a certain amount of cuttings and trimmings to get rid of periodically. I
wondered if I can get away with a shredder (the council are going to
start collecting bagged stuff, or I guess shreddings can go on my horse
muck-heap). Any comments, advice, recommendations on hardware?

Well they can clog easily, especially on green leafy foliage so best get one that is easily un-clogged. We have a Bear Cat machine that required the removal of 4 bolts to un-clog it. That got tired very quick so I stuck a hinge on it to allow the feed funnel fold back.

But they are useful for making compost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Reentrant" wrote in message

Clearly you've never seen or used a Bosch Quiet Shredder.

We used to have an AXT2000 which used a spiral cutter (like a meat-mincer)
and was very quiet but did start to clog when the cutter got blunt.

I replaced it with an AXT2200 which uses a large, slowly-turning cog
against a sacrificial plate. It's just as quiet (84dB apparently) and
never clogs.

--
Reentrant

Seconded. I've had one for several years and it's been very reliable, quiet
and nearly uncloggable; on the rare occasions it does clog you simply press
the 'reverse' button. It will also chomp branches up to an inch diameter,
which it self-feeds happily.

Stephen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
I'm tarting up the dumping area at the end of the garden, so will be
losing my "bonfire" space. I've got assorted shrubs and a hedge so have
a certain amount of cuttings and trimmings to get rid of periodically. I
wondered if I can get away with a shredder (the council are going to
start collecting bagged stuff, or I guess shreddings can go on my horse
muck-heap). Any comments, advice, recommendations on hardware?

yes shreddings will compost well.
Just makje suire te sgreeder is man enough for wahatver you want to put
through it.

I personally leave them where they fall and ruin a 13 hp rortary mower
over the top. A week or two later and they are all dust and ashes so to
speak.

Worms eat grass clippings and general leafiness. wood fibres seem to
meed fungal action to break them down, but it all helps make better topsoil.

I wouldn't give it to the council if you have any space to compost it -
even if its just on a patch of rough lawn.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen Mawson wrote:
wrote in message

Clearly you've never seen or used a Bosch Quiet Shredder.

We used to have an AXT2000 which used a spiral cutter (like a meat-mincer)
and was very quiet but did start to clog when the cutter got blunt.

I replaced it with an AXT2200 which uses a large, slowly-turning cog
against a sacrificial plate. It's just as quiet (84dB apparently) and
never clogs.

--
Reentrant

Seconded. I've had one for several years and it's been very reliable, quiet
and nearly uncloggable; on the rare occasions it does clog you simply press
the 'reverse' button. It will also chomp branches up to an inch diameter,
which it self-feeds happily.

Stephen

Thirded!
AXT2200
Excellent machine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2012 09:03, newshound wrote:
I'm tarting up the dumping area at the end of the garden, so will be
losing my "bonfire" space. I've got assorted shrubs and a hedge so have
a certain amount of cuttings and trimmings to get rid of periodically. I
wondered if I can get away with a shredder (the council are going to
start collecting bagged stuff, or I guess shreddings can go on my horse
muck-heap). Any comments, advice, recommendations on hardware?

The bosch quiet ones are not bad. Self feeding etc. If you have one of
the older spiral feed ones, then its better to let the stuff dry for a
few days prior to shredding.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 5, 9:03*am, newshound wrote:
I'm tarting up the dumping area at the end of the garden, so will be
losing my "bonfire" space. I've got assorted shrubs and a hedge so have
a certain amount of cuttings and trimmings to get rid of periodically. I
wondered if I can get away with a shredder (the council are going to
start collecting bagged stuff, or I guess shreddings can go on my horse
muck-heap). Any comments, advice, recommendations on hardware?

I have a shredder, wonderful.
Don't get the ones with the high speed rotating disk & cutters.
Get the one with the sharpened cog wheels or the worm device.
I shred all wood up the about 30mm dia & compost it.
Canb e used as a mulch to stopp weeds too.

Needs to be done when the wood is green.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2012 09:03, newshound wrote:
I'm tarting up the dumping area at the end of the garden, so will be
losing my "bonfire" space. I've got assorted shrubs and a hedge so have
a certain amount of cuttings and trimmings to get rid of periodically. I
wondered if I can get away with a shredder (the council are going to
start collecting bagged stuff, or I guess shreddings can go on my horse
muck-heap). Any comments, advice, recommendations on hardware?

Thanks to all, some very useful and almost entirely consistent advice there!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2012 10:28, Reentrant wrote:
On 05/06/2012 09:56, wrote:
On Jun 5, 9:03 am, wrote:
[...]

Looking on the Bosch site, the AXT2000 Rapid and AXT2200 Rapid are both
rapid spinning blade types. The AXT 22D and 23D Quiet are the cog and
plate version while the AXT 23TC and 25TC Quiet are turbine cut which
maybe your 'mincer' version.

Have you got the models right or have Bosch changed them?

--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2012 09:56, wrote:
On Jun 5, 9:03 am, wrote:
[...]

Bugger, I think they must have. Just ordered a 2200 from Amazon too.
Should have looked more carefully. OTOH Amazon seem to have a good track
record for exchanging stuff.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2012 09:56, wrote:
On Jun 5, 9:03 am, wrote:
[...]

record for exchanging stuff.- Hide quoted text -

Always see before you buy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2012 09:56, wrote:
On Jun 5, 9:03 am, wrote:
[...]

Both - I got the models right and Bosch have changed them.

Some info he
http://www.fredshed.co.uk/boschshredders.htm

Quoting: "The 22D and 25D use the same cog mechanism as my old
favourite, the AXT2200HP, but now have built in collection boxes.
The AXT23TC and AXT25TC models use a new turbine cutting mechanism that
shreds hard and soft material."

There's a video of the turbine mechanism he
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIjTVBYla4c

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

Bugger, I think they must have. Just ordered a 2200 from Amazon too.
Should have looked more carefully. OTOH Amazon seem to have a good track
record for exchanging stuff.

Cancel the order - you have the benefit of the Distance Selling Regulations:

http://www.onlineshoppingrights.co.u...tance-selling-
regulations.html

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
newshound wrote:

Bugger, I think they must have. Just ordered a 2200 from Amazon too.
Should have looked more carefully. OTOH Amazon seem to have a good track
record for exchanging stuff.

Cancel the order - you have the benefit of the Distance Selling Regulations:

http://www.onlineshoppingrights.co.u...tance-selling-
regulations.html

Beyond a certain point (once it's packed, being packed or something I
guess) you can't cancel an order, but there will be no problem sending
it back, though you will have to pay the return postage for a mis
purchase normally.

--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2012 15:15, Bob Minchin wrote:

Thirded!
AXT2200
Excellent machine

Fourthded
Got one when we pollarded a hefty willow tree a number of years ago.
Worth the investment for that one job alone but has been great.
Used on many other annoying trees/prunings since. Faultless.

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.water-rower.co.uk - Best rower ever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/06/2012 11:48, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Fourthded

Ooops My mistake.
Looking at the current models, mine is a Drum one going by another
number in todays models.
Looks like "AXT 22 D"
When the chippings start coming out partially joined together one just
gives the face plate a "click" on the adjuster knob and off you go
again. Brilliant.

--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.
http://www.trade-price-supplements.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2012 09:56, wrote:
On Jun 5, 9:03 am, wrote:
[...]

I wonder if the turbine cut versions suffer from the same problem as the
spinning plate ones, that is lack of torque leading to regular stalling
and laborious dismantling to clear.

The cog and plate would seem to be a slower, higher torque system, and
with reverse would seem to be a better bet.

--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes
with juice) is an adjective, the opposite of tight.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/06/2012 09:56, wrote:
On Jun 5, 9:03 am, wrote:
[...]

It looks look like the Turbo range are low speed / high torque like all
the other Quiet range. There's a better demo here (not an animation):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZjzFFez3ps

--
Reentrant

Shredders Bill[_18_] UK diy 35 December 15th 10 08:34 PM
garden shredders Stephen[_6_] UK diy 10 October 1st 09 09:18 PM
Shredders Andrew Gabriel UK diy 9 September 12th 09 10:19 PM
Garden Shredders - one line recommendations please. Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ¬) UK diy 10 April 17th 07 12:24 AM
cross cut shredders bheider Home Repair 2 June 12th 05 01:54 AM