Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default looking for a 'large' washer....

HI Folks

I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in brass
or steel (solderable!).
About the only critical thing is that the i/d of the thing should fit
over a standard bayonet-cap lampfitting - about 29mm - o/d can be up to
50mm diameter - or even square. 2mm thick or thereabouts.

I know I can just get some brass sheet and q-max a hole in the middle
(and it may yet come to that!) - but if anybody knows of an online
mail-order supplier who deals in this sort of thing then that'd be great!

I found some steel ones in my local agri-co-op, but they're
(predictably!) agricultural, and will need a bit of reaming / dremelling
to make them fit...

TIA
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in brass
or steel (solderable!).

ebay?

to replacing "aaa" by "284".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2012 11:18, Jeremy Nicoll - news posts wrote:
Adrian wrote:

I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in brass
or steel (solderable!).

ebay?

Thanks - but I tried that and couldn't see anything suitable.

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in brass
or steel (solderable!).

ebay?

Thanks - but I tried that and couldn't see anything suitable.

I can't find those dimensions on any of the look-up tables I've been
able to -erme- look up. Are you wanting to replicate something you
have seen before (in which case you might try to find the engineering
company that made the original product) or is this an original idea
(in which case your assumption that you might have to do all the hard
graft yourself could come true)?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in
brass or steel (solderable!).

ebay?

Thanks - but I tried that and couldn't see anything suitable.

They used to be called "penny washers" nowadays "repair washers". Try
Screwfix or Halfords for a start.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2012 09:50, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in brass
or steel (solderable!).
About the only critical thing is that the i/d of the thing should fit
over a standard bayonet-cap lampfitting - about 29mm - o/d can be up to
50mm diameter - or even square. 2mm thick or thereabouts.

I've got 30mm bore, 63mm o/d, 1/8" thick if they're any use. Stamped,
not machined.

Let me know if they're of interest.

--
Kevin Poole

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in brass
or steel (solderable!).

ebay?

Thanks - but I tried that and couldn't see anything suitable.

I can't find those dimensions on any of the look-up tables I've been
able to -erme- look up. Are you wanting to replicate something you
have seen before (in which case you might try to find the engineering
company that made the original product) or is this an original idea
(in which case your assumption that you might have to do all the hard
graft yourself could come true)?

Nick

Here's the detail....
I make stained-glass objects - mostly using the 'Tiffany' technique -
where you cut the glass to size, wrap the edges with self-adhesive
copper tape, and then solder.

Traditionally, lampshades are mounted to the lamp by means of a thing
called a 'spider' - metal centre, three or four thin brass 'legs' and
with a hole through the centre piece that mounts to the threaded section
under the bayonet-cap lamp-fitting - before the lampholder is wired up.

This is all very fine, and works well for many cases.

However, I've been asked to make some smaller lampshades to fit on top
of some cold-cast bronze lighthouses - these things are only about 6"
tall and 3" or 4" diameter - so don't really need the traditional
heavy-duty fixing. Also, it's be good for smaller lampshades, to be able
to attach them in the same way as a conventional fabric shade -
by means of a ring / washer fitted to the top of the bayonet lampholder,
rather than to the base of the lampholder (which requires de-wiring /
rewiring the lampholder.

So - there's the story.
If I can find a source of 'washers' of the right size, then I can easily
attach brazing-rod 'legs' to them by soldering, and everything's grand.
Problem at the moment is finding a washer with a big enough internal
diameter... and, if all else fails, I may have to fabricate something
from thin brass sheet...

Thanks
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2012 12:30, charles wrote:
Adrian wrote:

I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in
brass or steel (solderable!).

ebay?

Thanks - but I tried that and couldn't see anything suitable.

They used to be called "penny washers" nowadays "repair washers". Try
Screwfix or Halfords for a start.

No problem finding penny washers.... it's just finding some with a large
enough internal diameter that's proving difficult.

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2012 12:57, Kevin wrote:
On 22/05/2012 09:50, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in brass
or steel (solderable!).
About the only critical thing is that the i/d of the thing should fit
over a standard bayonet-cap lampfitting - about 29mm - o/d can be up to
50mm diameter - or even square. 2mm thick or thereabouts.

I've got 30mm bore, 63mm o/d, 1/8" thick if they're any use. Stamped,
not machined.

Let me know if they're of interest.

Hi Kevin
Could well be... what are they made from ?
See my other reply for the detail on what I'm trying to do...
30mm is a shade on the generous side, but I could work with it.

Email works, if you want to chat about it
Thanks
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

[...]

I understand what you are looking for but so far cannot think of a high
volume application for such a thing to be available on the open market.

How about making a ring from brazing rod or brass wire and soldering
some radials to that to make your own lighter weight spider.

hth

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
So - there's the story.
If I can find a source of 'washers' of the right size, then I can easily
attach brazing-rod 'legs' to them by soldering, and everything's grand.
Problem at the moment is finding a washer with a big enough internal
diameter... and, if all else fails, I may have to fabricate something
from thin brass sheet...

If there's a decent lampshade maker near you, they may be willing to
sell you some ready made spiders. The last time I needed something like
that I was in London, and the business I used has probably gone by now,
unfortunately. They had a stock of "washers" with tabs on and spot
welded the legs on while they were making the frames from what looked
suspiciously like welding rod.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

[...]

HI Bob
I was hoping for a stockist of 'big washers' g
rather than a bespoke solution

My thought was that a brazing rod soldered to the flat part of a big
washer would be stronger than if it was butt-soldered to a wire ring.
Sadly, I don't do brazing / welding (though actually I could do
silver-soldering... - but it's more hassle)

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2012 13:44, John Williamson wrote:
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
So - there's the story.
If I can find a source of 'washers' of the right size, then I can
easily attach brazing-rod 'legs' to them by soldering, and
everything's grand. Problem at the moment is finding a washer with a
big enough internal diameter... and, if all else fails, I may have to
fabricate something from thin brass sheet...

If there's a decent lampshade maker near you, they may be willing to
sell you some ready made spiders. The last time I needed something like
that I was in London, and the business I used has probably gone by now,
unfortunately. They had a stock of "washers" with tabs on and spot
welded the legs on while they were making the frames from what looked
suspiciously like welding rod.

I can get the spiders with the 1/4" hole for mounting on the ferrule -
no problem....
but fitting them to a pre-made lamp involves dismantling the lamp-holder
- which is tricky if it's somebody-else's manufacture.
Also a hassle in a retail environment.... - whereas the other approach
(fitting onto the bc bulbholder from above) would be easy to do...

We're out in the wilds of south-west Ireland - not aware of any
lampshade manufacturers out here... which is why I was thinking 'washers'...

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message
HI Folks

I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in brass
or steel (solderable!).
About the only critical thing is that the i/d of the thing should fit over
a standard bayonet-cap lampfitting - about 29mm - o/d can be up to 50mm
diameter - or even square. 2mm thick or thereabouts.

I know I can just get some brass sheet and q-max a hole in the middle (and
it may yet come to that!) - but if anybody knows of an online mail-order
supplier who deals in this sort of thing then that'd be great!

I found some steel ones in my local agri-co-op, but they're (predictably!)
agricultural, and will need a bit of reaming / dremelling to make them
fit...

TIA
Adrian

Earth Tags???????? http://www.cmp-products.com/earth_tags.php

Baz

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

[...]

Although

http://www.s-lilley.co.uk/

are suppliers of lampholders and similar, they may have suitable
ideas.

I have no connection with them; I merely found their site.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2012 14:20, Baz wrote:
"Adrian wrote in message
[...]

Hi Baz

That's a possibility.... need four of them, but it's a possibility -
thanks...

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

[...]

Hi Frank
That's an idea - I've emailed them to see what they can do...

I suppose there's always the option of getting something made up by a
laser-cutting outfit - but I guess the setup costs might be frightening...

Thanks
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

Google came up with a number of lampshade manufacturers with contact
details in the UK, and the spider I was thinking of is one that will fit
a BS bulbholder. Maybe Dublin and mail order?

Or:-

http://www.needcraft.co.uk/lampshade...ework-10-c.asp

They may be able to supply them unpainted.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in brass
or steel (solderable!).
About the only critical thing is that the i/d of the thing should fit
over a standard bayonet-cap lampfitting - about 29mm - o/d can be up to
50mm diameter - or even square. 2mm thick or thereabouts.

I'd say a 'stock' washer of that size is likely to be pretty thick, since
the primary purpose would be between a nut and bolt, etc?

If it doesn't need much strength, cheap enough to make out of sheet steel.

--
*Why do the two "sanction"s (noun and verb) mean opposites?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 May 2012 13:28:15 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

How about making a ring from brazing rod or brass wire and soldering
some radials to that to make your own lighter weight spider.

Beat me to it. Variation use lighter weight wire and twist/weave
together four lengths to form the ring bringing a leg out every
quarter.

Or see if you can get metal rings as spares.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In ,
Adrian wrote:
I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in brass
or steel (solderable!).
About the only critical thing is that the i/d of the thing should fit
over a standard bayonet-cap lampfitting - about 29mm - o/d can be up to
50mm diameter - or even square. 2mm thick or thereabouts.

I'd say a 'stock' washer of that size is likely to be pretty thick, since
the primary purpose would be between a nut and bolt, etc?

If it doesn't need much strength, cheap enough to make out of sheet steel.

HI Dave
Thanks for the suggestions - yes - the 'agricultural' ones I have are
fairly 'meaty' (not that that's a big problem, though they'll nee more
heat to solder them)

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

HI John
Thanks for that - don't know why they didn't show up in my Googling
- I must have been asking the wrong question g

Have contacted them to enquire....

Thanks
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message
HI Folks

I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in brass
or steel (solderable!).
About the only critical thing is that the i/d of the thing should fit over
a standard bayonet-cap lampfitting - about 29mm - o/d can be up to 50mm
diameter - or even square. 2mm thick or thereabouts.

I know I can just get some brass sheet and q-max a hole in the middle (and
it may yet come to that!) - but if anybody knows of an online mail-order
supplier who deals in this sort of thing then that'd be great!

I found some steel ones in my local agri-co-op, but they're (predictably!)
agricultural, and will need a bit of reaming / dremelling to make them
fit...

'ave a look here

http://www.bokers.com/copper_flat_washers.asp#search

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in
brass or steel (solderable!).

ebay?

Thanks - but I tried that and couldn't see anything suitable.

Adrian

Try searching for "Metal lampshade reducing rings"
They are dished steel, painted(?) white.
Not sure if they're any use, but a possibility for drilling and riveting
solder tags, etc. to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian wrote:

I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in
brass or steel (solderable!).

ebay?

Thanks - but I tried that and couldn't see anything suitable.

Adrian

Try searching for "Metal lampshade reducing rings"
They are dished steel, painted(?) white.
Not sure if they're any use, but a possibility for drilling and riveting
solder tags, etc. to.

HI Martin
Ah yes - those are the things.... thanks

seems that there's various flavours - ideally bare steel would be good
as that'll make the soldering easier - though I guess I could use two of
them and some epoxy and sandwich the 'legs' in-between...

Hopefully one of the UK manufacturers I contacted yesterday will come
back to me with price & delivery and then we're rolling!

Client approved the design last night, so she'll be wanting to see the
finished article very soon!

Thanks
Adrian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/05/2012 09:50, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks

I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in brass
or steel (solderable!).
About the only critical thing is that the i/d of the thing should fit
over a standard bayonet-cap lampfitting - about 29mm - o/d can be up to
50mm diameter - or even square. 2mm thick or thereabouts.

I know I can just get some brass sheet and q-max a hole in the middle
(and it may yet come to that!) - but if anybody knows of an online
mail-order supplier who deals in this sort of thing then that'd be great!

I found some steel ones in my local agri-co-op, but they're
(predictably!) agricultural, and will need a bit of reaming / dremelling
to make them fit...

TIA
Adrian

Problem solved....
The thing to search for is 'Metal lamp shade reducer ring' -
and (amazingly) my local electrical wholesaler has them in stock!

Many thanks to all for your suggestions
Adrian (Happy stained-glass-making bunny!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks

I'm looking for a small supply (tens off) of large-ish washers, in brass
or steel (solderable!).
About the only critical thing is that the i/d of the thing should fit
over a standard bayonet-cap lampfitting - about 29mm - o/d can be up to
50mm diameter - or even square. 2mm thick or thereabouts.

I know I can just get some brass sheet and q-max a hole in the middle
(and it may yet come to that!) - but if anybody knows of an online
mail-order supplier who deals in this sort of thing then that'd be great!

I found some steel ones in my local agri-co-op, but they're
(predictably!) agricultural, and will need a bit of reaming / dremelling
to make them fit...

TIA
Adrian

Make something like this out of your brass rod and silver solder legs
together.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/05/2012 14:13, F Murtz wrote:
Adrian Brentnall wrote:
[...]

Yes - that'd be a plan.
I think I've found a supply of the right size of 'washer' -
so all may be well...

Thanks
Adrian