Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting a US tap :(

Hi All,

I bought a Grohe tap whilst in the US and the fittings are 1/2". I had assumed that a standard 1/2" tap fitting would work fine but have now discovered that the US use a different thread pattern to the UK Looking at the instructions more closely it appears that the connection is actually 1/2" NPT rather than BSP.

Anyone any idea where I can get a converter from? Ideally I would require a 1/2" male NPT to 1/2" female BSP but anything to BSP would be OK as I can plumb around it..

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 May 2012 12:09:49 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell
wrote:

Hi All,

I bought a Grohe tap whilst in the US and the fittings are 1/2". I had assumed that a standard 1/2" tap fitting would work fine but have now discovered that the US use a different thread pattern to the UK Looking at the instructions more closely it appears that the connection is actually 1/2" NPT rather than BSP.

Anyone any idea where I can get a converter from? Ideally I would require a 1/2" male NPT to 1/2" female BSP but anything to BSP would be OK as I can plumb around it..

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Lee.

Force it!!!

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 19, 8:09*pm, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All,

I bought a Grohe tap whilst in the US and the fittings are 1/2". *I had assumed that a standard 1/2" tap fitting would work fine but have now discovered that the US use a different thread pattern to the UK *Looking at the instructions more closely it appears that the connection is actually 1/2" NPT rather than BSP.

Anyone any idea where I can get a converter from? *Ideally I would require a 1/2" male NPT to 1/2" female BSP but anything to BSP would be OK as I can plumb around it..

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Lee.

Solder a bit of copper pipe into the threaded bit. It might have to
be bored out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 May 2012 20:09:49 +0100, Lee Nowell
wrote:

Hi All,

I bought a Grohe tap whilst in the US and the fittings are 1/2". I had
assumed that a standard 1/2" tap fitting would work fine but have now
discovered that the US use a different thread pattern to the UK
Looking at the instructions more closely it appears that the connection
is actually 1/2" NPT rather than BSP.

Anyone any idea where I can get a converter from?

jfgi?

http://www.kiowa.co.uk/products/bsp_...daptor/FBNMM88

http://www.pipefittingsonline.co.uk/...prod_2775.html

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 19, 8:09*pm, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All,

I bought a Grohe tap whilst in the US and the fittings are 1/2". *I had assumed that a standard 1/2" tap fitting would work fine but have now discovered that the US use a different thread pattern to the UK *Looking at the instructions more closely it appears that the connection is actually 1/2" NPT rather than BSP.

Anyone any idea where I can get a converter from? *Ideally I would require a 1/2" male NPT to 1/2" female BSP but anything to BSP would be OK as I can plumb around it..

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Lee.

I've got Grohe taps and they are European fittings which are a
slightly different size to UK, rather than a different type. Is the US
fitting really a different thread type, rather than just a different
thread size?

dan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hi All,

I bought a Grohe tap whilst in the US and the fittings are 1/2". I had
assumed that a standard 1/2" tap fitting would work fine but have now
discovered that the US use a different thread pattern to the UK
Looking at the instructions more closely it appears that the connection
is actually 1/2" NPT rather than BSP.

Anyone any idea where I can get a converter from?

jfgi?

http://www.kiowa.co.uk/products/bsp_...daptor/FBNMM88

http://www.pipefittingsonline.co.uk/...prod_2775.html

Jim K

Thanks Jim... the pipefittingsonline one looks like it will do the trick but very pricey

I too found a hydraulic adaptor but it seems that they are made of steel with have been "Gold Posivated" (not sure what that means!) so unsure of whether I can use this.

Anyone any ideas what this means?

thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 21, 2012 9:40:00 AM UTC+1, dent wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dan. I just spoke with Grohe technical support in the UK. It seems that the UK and US fittings are completely different. Apparently the UK fittings are made so that the water is drinkable from them but the US fittings are not! The valve bodies are made of a different material (wonder if the US one is "Gold Posivated"!). The thread is definately different as the Grohe instructions has it as 1/2" NPT-FIP (well i think it was -FIP it may have been another TLA).

thanks

Lee.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lee Nowell wrote
Jim K wrote
Lee Nowell wrote

I bought a Grohe tap whilst in the US and the fittings are 1/2". I had
assumed that a standard 1/2" tap fitting would work fine but have now
discovered that the US use a different thread pattern to the UK
Looking at the instructions more closely it appears that the connection
is actually 1/2" NPT rather than BSP.

Anyone any idea where I can get a converter from?

jfgi?

http://www.kiowa.co.uk/products/bsp_...daptor/FBNMM88

http://www.pipefittingsonline.co.uk/...prod_2775.html

Thanks Jim... the pipefittingsonline one looks like it will do the trick
but very pricey

I too found a hydraulic adaptor but it seems that they are made of steel
with have
been "Gold Posivated" (not sure what that means!) so unsure of whether I
can use this.

Anyone any ideas what this means?

That some ****** described it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi All,

I bought a Grohe tap whilst in the US and the fittings are 1/2". *I had assumed that a standard 1/2" tap fitting would work fine but have now discovered that the US use a different thread pattern to the UK *Looking at the instructions more closely it appears that the connection is actually 1/2" NPT rather than BSP.

Anyone any idea where I can get a converter from? *Ideally I would require a 1/2" male NPT to 1/2" female BSP but anything to BSP would be OK as I can plumb around it..

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Lee.

Force it!!!

That's plumbing the depths.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.kiowa.co.uk/products/bsp_...draulic_adapto...

http://www.pipefittingsonline.co.uk/...manifolds-bras...

Jim K

Thanks Jim... the pipefittingsonline one looks like it will do the trick but very pricey

I too found a hydraulic adaptor but it seems that they are made of steel with have been "Gold Posivated" (not sure what that means!) so unsure of whether I can use this.

Anyone any ideas what this means?

thanks

Lee.

The word is "passivated".

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 21, 10:49*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Lee Nowell wrote

Jim K wrote
Lee Nowell wrote
[...]

So you don't know either.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Op zaterdag 19 mei 2012 21:09:49 UTC+2 schreef Lee Nowell het volgende:
Hi All,

I bought a Grohe tap whilst in the US and the fittings are 1/2".

You went on holiday to Disneyworld, accidentally walked into a plumbing supply shop and thought "I'll have that one!"? Happens to me all the time.

Anyway, you're lucky it wasn't Australia. The bolts all turn the wrong way.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Ah... thanks for the clarification. Anyone know whether this will be OK for a tap fitting?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 May 2012 01:58:11 -0700 (PDT), Lee Nowell
wrote:

I too found a hydraulic adaptor but it seems that
they are made of steel with have been "Gold Posivated"
(not sure what that means!) so unsure of whether I can use this.

Anyone any ideas what this means?

It's passivated. Means it's been flash coated with a more inert metal.
If you're lucky it won't rust to buggery and block up or fall apart
within two years. It's quite common to find cadmium coated nuts and
bolts for teh same reason. Another one is 'sheradized'.

If it were me, I'd find the NPT fitting to fit the tap, braze on the
fitting for the UK pipe and make my own adapter, thereby.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/05/2012 13:19, Hognoxious wrote:
Op zaterdag 19 mei 2012 21:09:49 UTC+2 schreef Lee Nowell het volgende:
Hi All,

I bought a Grohe tap whilst in the US and the fittings are 1/2".

You went on holiday to Disneyworld, accidentally walked into a plumbing supply shop and thought "I'll have that one!"? Happens to me all the time.

Anyway, you're lucky it wasn't Australia. The bolts all turn the wrong way.

Most of my spanners are universal, they can be used on both left and
right handed threads.

--
Pete
Lose (rhymes with fuse) is a verb, the opposite of find. Loose (rhymes

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"harry" wrote in message
On May 19, 8:09 pm, Lee Nowell wrote:
Hi All,

I bought a Grohe tap whilst in the US and the fittings are 1/2". I had
assumed that a standard 1/2" tap fitting would work fine but have now
discovered that the US use a different thread pattern to the UK Looking
at the instructions more closely it appears that the connection is
actually 1/2" NPT rather than BSP.

Anyone any idea where I can get a converter from? Ideally I would require
a 1/2" male NPT to 1/2" female BSP but anything to BSP would be OK as I
can plumb around it..

Any help appreciated.

thanks

Lee.

Solder a bit of copper pipe into the threaded bit. It might have to
be bored out.

At 1/2", BSPT is almost the Same as 1/2" NPT. TPI is the same. The Taper is
the Same. But one has a 55 Deg Thread form and the Other has 60 deg.

They quite happily fit together.

Baz.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 21, 2012 4:14:06 PM UTC+1, Baz wrote:
"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Looking at the tables, I'd agree that the sizes are very close, and I suspect with normal tolerances they would fit together with no problems. I'd suspect the most likely scenario for having problems would be fitting an NPT male into a BSP female thread, which isn't the problem here.
Unforthunately when I had the same kind of problem the threads were 1/4", where the TPI are different...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-05-21, Pete Shew wrote:

On 21/05/2012 13:19, Hognoxious wrote:
Op zaterdag 19 mei 2012 21:09:49 UTC+2 schreef Lee Nowell het volgende:
Hi All,

I bought a Grohe tap whilst in the US and the fittings are 1/2".

You went on holiday to Disneyworld, accidentally walked into a plumbing supply shop and thought "I'll have that one!"? Happens to me all the time.

Anyway, you're lucky it wasn't Australia. The bolts all turn the wrong way.

Most of my spanners are universal, they can be used on both left and
right handed threads.

You have to remember to flip them over, though, to oppose the Coriolis
effect.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ty

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

Trying the BSP fitting, it goes about half way in relatively easily but then starts to get tight. I didn't want to force it at this stage in case it threaded it and I would be screwed... I also found a Nickel plated Brass fitting but unsure whether this would work? Anyone any idea what UK brass fittings are actually made from? I assume they are not solid brass?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The word is "passivated".

MBQ

Ah... thanks for the clarification. Anyone know whether this will be OK for a tap fitting?

Some gold passivated treatment involves chromates, which are somewhat
toxic. However the amount actually in contact with the water may be very
small, depending on the design. Personally, I'd probably not worry about
it, but YMMV

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

That sound right Lee. The taper is just starting to engage. Carry on and it
will tighten right up.
Baz

Bog fitting GMM UK diy 8 October 25th 11 08:38 PM
Fitting a DPM James Varty UK diy 7 January 15th 06 05:30 PM
Retro fitting TRV's - new valve fitting type Tony Collins UK diy 5 November 27th 04 01:12 PM
Fitting a hob Ben Blaukopf UK diy 3 November 22nd 03 10:20 PM
What gas fitting Alan Campbell UK diy 1 July 7th 03 12:00 AM