Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Endless ball chain for window blind

Still having problems with this.
The 3m. length of chain I ordered arrived as a 2m. piece and a 1m.
piece, despite a note saying I needed a continuous length. But that's a
separate issue.

Properly lengthening a blind chain requires that the join be no larger
than the chain itself. (A standard clasp won't go through the gear
affair at the end of the roller of the blind, on the 4 blinds I have.)

On one of the existing blinds, the loop has such a clasp, so the
lengthened blind (for a very tall window) can't be fully raised because
the clasp acts as a stop, and if you reposition the chain then the
blind can't be fully lowered.
Also the bottom of the loop is about 6 feet above the floor, which is
inconvenient.
And a chain with only 2m. between two clasps wouldn't solve the
problem; the window is too large (high).

They do make endless loops of chain, though to fit one might require
some roller disassembly, and a standard length might not be suitable.

Easier if there is a way to join the ends invisibly, using something
like one of the links from which such a chain is made.

Google shows lots of clasps, but that's not what's needed.

At a guess, there might be a tool which crimps a ball so that it fits
fairly tightly around one of the dumbbell-shaped pieces which alternate
with the balls on these chains.
Or maybe there's a special kind of ball. Or both the above.

How else could they manufacture endless loops?

Does anyone know how this is done / what the parts are called?

In the past, my attempts to repair broken sink chains by just pushing
the parts together produced a weak chain which soon came apart, so
that's not likely to be much good on a blind chain which has to handle
a fair amount of strain.
There has to be some better way.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 May 2012 14:27:20 GMT, lid
(Windmill) wrote:

[...]

Cut the "chain" through the centre of the ball, and weld/glue/whatever
the two hemispheres to join 'em.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 19, 3:27*pm, (Windmill)
wrote:
[...]

The problemis got round by having the chain longer than the blind so
the join doesn't have to pass through the cog device. The start
position of the join is critical.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry writes:

On May 19, 3:27=A0pm, (Windmill)
wrote:
[...]

Windmill, =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 Use =A0t m i l =

J.R.R. Tolkien:- =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =

=A0 =A0 =A0 @ O n e t e l . c o m

The problemis got round by having the chain longer than the blind so
the join doesn't have to pass through the cog device. The start
position of the join is critical.

Yes, that's why I asked for a single 3m. penght of chain. I'll probably
have to take it up with the supplier on eBay.
But it would be better still to be able to make my own endless loop of
chain.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Windmill) wrote:

[...]

The trouble is that the gear mechanism at the end of the roller is
sized to accept one ball only in each of the segments (of an open-ended
box shape) which form the teeth of the gear.
So the join has to be small (and also slightly flexible, because the
chain has to curve quite sharply round the roller).

Seems to me that one needs to be able to crimp a ball of about standard
size onto an adjacent dumbbell section.

--
Windmill,
Use t m i l l

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Windmill wrote:

The 3m. length of chain I ordered arrived as a 2m. piece and a 1m.
piece, despite a note saying I needed a continuous length. But that's a
separate issue.

Send it back, get your money back, leave appropriate negative feedback.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Windmill) wrote:

[...]

Or just have a chain where the join doesn’t need to go thru that mechanism.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Windmill" wrote in message
harry writes:

On May 19, 3:27=A0pm, (Windmill)
wrote:
[...]

Yes, but it isnt that easy to do.

In many ways it makes more sense to design the blind
so the join doesn’t have to go thru the mechanism.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 19, 3:27*pm, (Windmill)
wrote:
[...]

I didn't realise there were such things as clasps. To lengthen a loop,
I just split a ball with a penknife sufficiently for the dumbbell to
drop out, repeat at one end of the insert, drop the dumbbells back in
and close the balls with pliers. A bit fiddly, sometimes takes a few
attempts to get it right, and I've wondered whether there is a special
pair of pliers to do the close, but I always get there in the end.

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Windmill" wrote in message
harry writes:

On May 19, 3:27=A0pm, (Windmill)
wrote:
[...]

You, YOU find it difficult? LMFAO

In many ways it makes more sense to design the blind
so the join doesn’t have to go thru the mechanism.

Corse it does, rodney.

Ever thought of reading the whole thread instead of typing immediate
********? -

A tool costs £65 +VAT:-
http://www.merrick-day.com/acatalog/...ning_tool.html
They have a video how-to:-
http://www.merrick-day.com/acatalog/info_3_CHAINN.html

LMFAO, what a dicksplash.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Steve Firth) writes:

Windmill wrote:

The 3m. length of chain I ordered arrived as a 2m. piece and a 1m.
piece, despite a note saying I needed a continuous length. But that's a
separate issue.

Send it back, get your money back, leave appropriate negative feedback.

I'm going to send it back and request that they provide what I asked
for.
They ask to be given the opportunity to correct any problems before a
customer leaves negative feedback, and I'll let them do that.

They had asked me to add a note explaining that I needed a 3m.
continuous length and I did so, but the note was ignored.

Annoying, but partly my own fault because I had ordered a 1m. length
before I discovered where to specify the length needed. Then I had to
order 2m. more to get the total price correct.
Maybe I should have just asked them to cancel the order, so that I
could start again.

Of course I saw a reel of chain in B&Q right after I'd ordered!

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Windmill wrote:
(Steve Firth) writes:

Windmill wrote:

The 3m. length of chain I ordered arrived as a 2m. piece and a 1m.
piece, despite a note saying I needed a continuous length. But that's a
separate issue.

Send it back, get your money back, leave appropriate negative feedback.

I'm going to send it back and request that they provide what I asked
for.
They ask to be given the opportunity to correct any problems before a
customer leaves negative feedback, and I'll let them do that.

Leave it too long and you won't be able to leave negative feedback. Thats
what many suppliers rely on. They jerk you around until the deadline has
passed and you can't comment on how bad the service was.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth writes:

Leave it too long and you won't be able to leave negative feedback. Thats
what many suppliers rely on. They jerk you around until the deadline has
passed and you can't comment on how bad the service was.

From reading, I had gained the impression that some sellers had devised
schemes to artificially manipulate prices, bidding, etc. but hadn't
noticed that deadline trick.

OTOH the whole transaction relating to a KVM I bought (at a very good
price, and with more inputs than I'll ever need) somehow entirely
disappeared right after I bought.
I paid (by cheque), received the unit, it works AFAIK except for one
input (which may only be misconfigured), but as far as eBay are
concerned none of this ever happened.
The only trace is an eBay mail conversation between me and the supplier!
So I'll never be able to leave feedback, though it would have been
positive.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

writes:

On May 19, 3:27=A0pm, (Windmill)
wrote:
[...]

That doesn;t work for me; the chain is too weak at the join (in fact
almost too weak even in its original state).

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:- @ O n e t e l . c o m