Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Samsung VP-D230 Digital cam Transferring video files to PC

Hi all,

I have borrowed a Samsung VP-D230 Digital camcorder, the manual says
I need an IEEE 1394 add on card to Transfer the video files to my PC that
runs on Windows XP.

On searching for the IEEE 1394 card it comes up as a firewire card, I
already have a firewire port on the PC.

With the camera there is a USB lead that I can connect to a USB slot on the
computer, but the computer says it need an additional programme, and offers
to search for it, but then reports nothing found?

How can I Transfer the video files please?

Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mick. explained on 16/05/2012 :
Hi all,

I have borrowed a Samsung VP-D230 Digital camcorder, the manual says
I need an IEEE 1394 add on card to Transfer the video files to my PC that
runs on Windows XP.

On searching for the IEEE 1394 card it comes up as a firewire card, I already
have a firewire port on the PC.

With the camera there is a USB lead that I can connect to a USB slot on the
computer, but the computer says it need an additional programme, and offers
to search for it, but then reports nothing found?

How can I Transfer the video files please?

Mick.

Either get the USB drivers and go via USB (yuk!) or get a FireWire lead
and transfer via FireWire.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2012 06:57, Mick. wrote:
Hi all,

I have borrowed a Samsung VP-D230 Digital camcorder, the manual says
I need an IEEE 1394 add on card to Transfer the video files to my PC that
runs on Windows XP.

On searching for the IEEE 1394 card it comes up as a firewire card, I
already have a firewire port on the PC.

With the camera there is a USB lead that I can connect to a USB slot on the
computer, but the computer says it need an additional programme, and offers
to search for it, but then reports nothing found?

How can I Transfer the video files please?

Can't you just remove the memory stick and place it in a reader?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 16/05/2012 06:57, Mick. wrote:
Hi all,

I have borrowed a Samsung VP-D230 Digital camcorder, the manual
says
I need an IEEE 1394 add on card to Transfer the video files to my PC that
runs on Windows XP.

On searching for the IEEE 1394 card it comes up as a firewire card, I
already have a firewire port on the PC.

With the camera there is a USB lead that I can connect to a USB slot on
the
computer, but the computer says it need an additional programme, and
offers
to search for it, but then reports nothing found?

How can I Transfer the video files please?

Can't you just remove the memory stick and place it in a reader?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The files are on a tape, there is a memory stick on the camera as well but
it can only record around 20 sec.
Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2012 06:57, Mick. wrote:
[...]

If the video is tape, assuming it's a Mini-DV camcorder, then when you
plug it in to the firewire socket, your video editing program will be
able to capture the video stream using its native drivers. The camcorder
will be controllable as a playback deck from the capture program.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2012 06:57, Mick. wrote:
Hi all,

I have borrowed a Samsung VP-D230 Digital camcorder, the manual says
I need an IEEE 1394 add on card to Transfer the video files to my PC that
runs on Windows XP.

On searching for the IEEE 1394 card it comes up as a firewire card, I
already have a firewire port on the PC.

With the camera there is a USB lead that I can connect to a USB slot on the
computer, but the computer says it need an additional programme, and offers
to search for it, but then reports nothing found?

How can I Transfer the video files please?

Get a firewire lead.

get the Free sofware app ... WinDV

Start it and press play of recorder ... works fine.

If you need a dummies guide ...
http://www.windowsmoviemakers.net/Pa.../61/WinDV.aspx

I have used WINDV many times ... it is a very small very well written
application, so no frame loss .... does what it says on the tin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2012 06:57, Mick. wrote:
Hi all,

I have borrowed a Samsung VP-D230 Digital camcorder, the manual says
I need an IEEE 1394 add on card to Transfer the video files to my PC that
runs on Windows XP.

On searching for the IEEE 1394 card it comes up as a firewire card, I
already have a firewire port on the PC.

IEEE 1394 *is* firewire...

Beware that just because there is a socket, it does not mean that it is
anything connected to it!

With the camera there is a USB lead that I can connect to a USB slot on the
computer, but the computer says it need an additional programme, and offers
to search for it, but then reports nothing found?

The USB may let you access the cameras digital memory card if it has
one. However on many you will need firewire to get at the digital video.

Most video editing packages (pinnacle, adobe premiere, even windows
movie maker etc) will know how to talk to it.

How can I Transfer the video files please?

Once its hooked up, use the software to cue up the bit you want and then
tell it to capture.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I now realise I do not have a programme to capture the files?

And was advised I could use "Windows Movie Maker"
Which is part of Service pack 3, which I do have
but if Windows Movie maker, is installed I cant
find in in the programme list, or doing a search for it?
Mick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mick." wrote in message
I now realise I do not have a programme to capture the files?

And was advised I could use "Windows Movie Maker"
Which is part of Service pack 3, which I do have
but if Windows Movie maker, is installed I cant
find in in the programme list, or doing a search for it?
Mick.

Its replacement is windows live movie maker or something like that.
You can download it from www.live.com.
Don't download stuff you don't want make sure you tick the boxes or it will
install other M$ stuff.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/05/2012 09:01, Mick. wrote:
I now realise I do not have a programme to capture the files?

And was advised I could use "Windows Movie Maker"
Which is part of Service pack 3, which I do have

I don't recall it being part of SP3

You can get it from:

http://download.cnet.com/Windows-Mov...-10165075.html

(its fairly crap mind!)

but if Windows Movie maker, is installed I cant
find in in the programme list, or doing a search for it?

It normally installs in the root of the all programs section of the
start menu rather than in a folder.

There are plenty of video packages about however - many given away with
peripherals etc like uLead video maker, versions of pinnacle, etc or
paid for stuff like Adobe premier elements is fairly cheap.

If you have Nero, then that also has video editing capabilities.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 18/05/2012 09:01, Mick. wrote:
[...]

Thank you all,
I found it using: "C:\Program Files\Movie
Maker\moviemk.exe"
Mick.

John.

transferring files geoff UK diy 64 March 20th 12 08:16 PM
Samsung Digital Camcorder SCD103 troyster Electronics Repair 0 April 18th 06 01:34 AM
Making a mini-digital scale or: the YADRO-files part 7 Nick Müller Metalworking 0 February 4th 06 04:56 PM
How to cable Samsung TV to record digital channels into VCR? PHuile Electronics Repair 2 December 23rd 05 08:12 AM
Talk to your digital scales Or: The YADRO-files part 3 Nick Müller Metalworking 0 October 10th 05 09:02 PM