Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default transferring files

Windows XP

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories to
another HD, some directories come out with the same number of files and
some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same different
value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories to
another HD, some directories come out with the same number of files and
some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same different
value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

Have some folders got hidden or system files in them? turn on viewing
them under tools/options before selecting/copying

Is it an NTFS partition? If so do you have rights to all the
files/subfolders?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
geoff wrote:

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories to
another HD, some directories come out with the same number of files and
some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same different
value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

Have some folders got hidden or system files in them? turn on viewing
them under tools/options before selecting/copying

A collection of text, video, audio and pictures

"Show hidden folders and files" is selected

Is it an NTFS partition? If so do you have rights to all the
files/subfolders?

No reason not to have

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2012 23:32, geoff wrote:

A collection of text, video, audio and pictures

"Show hidden folders and files" is selected

Also make sure, "Hide Protected operating files...." is unticked. Ye
need to be sure everything in the source is selected prior to dragging
as a copy (oh, and not an accidental move - _that_ will confuse!)

Is it an NTFS partition? If so do you have rights to all the
files/subfolders?

It's not that. If permissions failed, the copy would be halted with
'Access Denied'

Shouldn't be any need for command line voodoo, except maybe BartC's DIR
differences method.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 10:39:17 +0000, Adrian C wrote:

On 17/03/2012 23:32, geoff wrote:

A collection of text, video, audio and pictures

"Show hidden folders and files" is selected

Also make sure, "Hide Protected operating files...." is unticked. Ye
need to be sure everything in the source is selected prior to dragging
as a copy (oh, and not an accidental move - _that_ will confuse!)

Is it an NTFS partition? If so do you have rights to all the
files/subfolders?

It's not that. If permissions failed, the copy would be halted with
'Access Denied'

Shouldn't be any need for command line voodoo, except maybe BartC's DIR
differences method.

All this seems terribly involved compared to just *one* simple XCOPY
command to do the entire directory tree...but then perhaps people aren't
up to using the command line these days.

xcopy source destination /e/h

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2012 11:33, Bob Eager wrote:

All this seems terribly involved compared to just *one* simple XCOPY
command to do the entire directory tree...

Maybe, but wouldn't say terribly complicated. What's the difference
between a checkbox and a switch?

but then perhaps people aren't
up to using the command line these days.

Nah, clicking a checkbox and dragging a mouse is quicker than typing CLI
voodoo anyday of the week.

Just need to know _how_ to drag and _where_ to click. Windows users are
used to it, had plenty of practice, and these explorer settings thingys
have persisted in the same over various versions of Windows back to
Windows 95. I don't think I've seen similar in other GUIs, IME they keep
moving things....

And in that case or if ye don't know or care where things are in GUI
land, then the CLI is undoubtedly quicker.

Or go for the ultimate CLI interface,

Google...

(ducks)

--
Adrian C]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote
Adrian C wrote
geoff wrote

A collection of text, video, audio and pictures

"Show hidden folders and files" is selected

Also make sure, "Hide Protected operating files...." is unticked. Ye
need to be sure everything in the source is selected prior to dragging
as a copy (oh, and not an accidental move - _that_ will confuse!)

Is it an NTFS partition? If so do you have rights to all the files/subfolders?

It's not that. If permissions failed, the copy would be halted with 'Access Denied'

Shouldn't be any need for command line voodoo, except maybe BartC's
DIR differences method.

All this seems terribly involved compared to just *one* simple XCOPY
command to do the entire directory tree...but then perhaps people
aren't up to using the command line these days.

xcopy source destination /e/h

You dont need to use the command line, explorer does it fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 23:13:04 +0000, geoff wrote:

Windows XP

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories to
another HD, some directories come out with the same number of files and
some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same different
value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

Probably hidden/system files. Easiest way (IMHO) is to use the XCOPY
command in acommand window. The /H option is useful. Type XCOPY /? to get
help.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 23:13:04 +0000, geoff wrote:

Windows XP

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories to
another HD, some directories come out with the same number of files and
some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same different
value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

Probably hidden/system files. Easiest way (IMHO) is to use the XCOPY
command in acommand window. The /H option is useful. Type XCOPY /? to get
help.

...now I KNOW why I moved to...Linux.
and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 00:40:57 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 23:13:04 +0000, geoff wrote:

Windows XP

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories
to another HD, some directories come out with the same number of files
and some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same
different value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

Probably hidden/system files. Easiest way (IMHO) is to use the XCOPY
command in acommand window. The /H option is useful. Type XCOPY /? to
get help.

..now I KNOW why I moved to...Linux.

cp is not much better.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Bob Eager
escribió:

cp is not much better.

cp -a is a little better.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

En el artÃ*culo , Bob Eager
escribió:

cp is not much better.

cp -a is a little better.

rsync -av --delete --dry-run

is a handy way of checking the result of a copy. Andfixing it by chopping
the --dry-run off.

The way I move large (100+GB) live filesystems between servers (eg upgrade)
is to start rsyncing the day before on the live source.

Then issue the downtime edict and a quick rsync cleans up few
changes/missing bits.
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 23:13:04 +0000, geoff wrote:

Windows XP

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories
to another HD, some directories come out with the same number of files
and some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same
different value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

Probably hidden/system files. Easiest way (IMHO) is to use the XCOPY
command in acommand window. The /H option is useful. Type XCOPY /? to
get help.

..now I KNOW why I moved to...Linux.

cp is not much better.

And rsync is much better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2012 23:26, Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 23:13:04 +0000, geoff wrote:

Windows XP

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories to
another HD, some directories come out with the same number of files and
some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same different
value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

Probably hidden/system files. Easiest way (IMHO) is to use the XCOPY
command in acommand window. The /H option is useful. Type XCOPY /? to get
help.

There is believe or not a better than that command, I discovered it by
accident. Its called Robocopy, short for Robust Copy. It is not a very
widely known command.

type Robocopy/? to get the help info

Its part of Windows 7 command prompt at least. I don't know about Win XP
or earlier though.

Robocopy even works with network storage drives that use the UNC format,
e.g. //Freenasred/PrimaryDrive instead of being forced to set up network
drive to logical drive letter mappings beforehand

Robocopy is so good that it if falls over part way trough, such as when
the network drive drops off the network etc. it can be restarted and it
will robustly check what has been copied and not been copied.It will
retry the files that did not copy over.

You also get a list of the files that did not copy over.

Its great for copying from network drive to another network drive. Disk
copy, Xcopy and copy will not do this.

Regards

Stephen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2012 09:17, Stephen H wrote:
[...]

P.S and Robocopy is FAST over a network.... Last time I used it I was
getting 250 megabits across the network from one NAS box to another NAS
box. This was on a 1 gigabit network though. This equates to about 30MB/s

Obviously it will be faster if the two hard drives are within the same
machine on SATA or firewire and probably USB2 interfaces....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen H wrote
Bob Eager wrote
[...]

His XP doesnt have it.

Robocopy even works with network storage drives that use the UNC
format, e.g. //Freenasred/PrimaryDrive instead of being forced to set
up network drive to logical drive letter mappings beforehand

Robocopy is so good that it if falls over part way trough, such as
when the network drive drops off the network etc. it can be restarted
and it will robustly check what has been copied and not been
copied.It will retry the files that did not copy over.

You also get a list of the files that did not copy over.

Its great for copying from network drive to another network drive.
Disk copy, Xcopy and copy will not do this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 17, 11:13*pm, geoff wrote:
Windows XP

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories to
another HD, some directories come out with the same number of files and
some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same different
value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

--
geoff

I think I've seen this, but can't remember what causes it. Have you
tried pressing F5 to refresh the Windows Explorer screen (if that's
what you're using)? I often have problems with directory listings on
networked drives, and this usually fixes it.

Alternatively, there may be problems with file protections (e.g.
hidden files). Can you find the missing files using windiff, or just
viewing both folders in parallel Expolrer displays? Then see what
happens if you try to copy the missing files manually.

You could also try doing the copy from an MSDOS prompt.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
writes
On Mar 17, 11:13*pm, geoff wrote:
Windows XP

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories to
another HD, some directories come out with the same number of files and
some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same different
value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

--
geoff

I think I've seen this, but can't remember what causes it. Have you
tried pressing F5 to refresh the Windows Explorer screen (if that's
what you're using)?

Seems OK

I often have problems with directory listings on
networked drives, and this usually fixes it.

Bog standard SATA drive plugged into the same machine

Alternatively, there may be problems with file protections (e.g.
hidden files). Can you find the missing files using windiff,

Trying a scan ATM - what a horrible program

or just
viewing both folders in parallel Expolrer displays?

This one has 17k files in 16 folders

Then see what
happens if you try to copy the missing files manually.

You could also try doing the copy from an MSDOS prompt.

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message
,
writes

or just
viewing both folders in parallel Expolrer displays?

This one has 17k files in 16 folders

Use a command prompt (but not at the root directory), get listings of both
directories into a file. Example:

DIR/B C:\path LIST1
DIR/B D:\path LIST2

(The names should be sorted; if not use DIR/O/B.) Then compare the two files
using:

FC LIST1 LIST2

which should highlight all the differences.

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Windows XP

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories to
another HD, some directories come out with the same number of files and
some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same different
value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

its the NTFS file syste

Never The ****ing Same.

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote
geoff wrote

Windows XP

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories
to another HD, some directories come out with the same number of
files and some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same different value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

its the NTFS file system

Nope, just migrated everything to a new build and it worked fine
and I always do compare the file and total size to check the copy.

I even did a checksum compare too since it was a new machine.

Never The ****ing Same.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote

Windows XP

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories
to another HD, some directories come out with the same number of
files and some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same different value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

Nope, I do that all the time and check using those numbers that its gone fine.

I just use Explorer.

And some of mine are at least that big too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 23:13:04 +0000, geoff wrote:

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same different
value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

Yes. Make sure teh properties on all directories aren't set to 'read
only'. You can reset properties on a complete tree.

This causes problems when copying files to CDs, etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/03/2012 23:13, geoff wrote:

Windows XP

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories to
another HD, some directories come out with the same number of files and
some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same different
value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

Probably a hidden or system file not being copied.

Have a go with:

http://www.dirsyncpro.org/

A much more informative way to copy and the recovery is a darn sight
better when there are problems on individual files.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
PAJ PAJ is offline

On Mar 18, 4:05*am, John Rumm wrote:
On 17/03/2012 23:13, geoff wrote:

Windows XP

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories to
another HD, some directories come out with the same number of files and
some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same different
value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

Probably a hidden or system file not being copied.

Have a go with:

http://www.dirsyncpro.org/

A much more informative way to copy and the recovery is a darn sight
better when there are problems on individual files.

--
Cheers,

John.

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

Another good free tool is teracopy, graphical interface and continues
when a copy error is encountered and lists all files copied or not
copied.

Peter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 03:37:53 -0700, PAJ wrote:

Another good free tool is teracopy, graphical interface and continues
when a copy error is encountered

/C on XCOPY

and lists all files copied or not
copied.

XCOPY does that by default but /Q suppresses it.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 03:37:53 -0700, PAJ wrote:

Another good free tool is teracopy, graphical interface and continues
when a copy error is encountered

/C on XCOPY

and lists all files copied or not
copied.

XCOPY does that by default but /Q suppresses it.

Any opinion on XXCOPY?

Very powerful, loads of options inc lots on reporting but that in turn
makes it more difficult to remember the switches.

eg. Geoff's command line would be:

XXCOPY /S /V /H /oNlogfilename source(*.*) dest

/S for include subdirectories
/V for verify copy by file size only
/H for include system and hidden files
/oN for log errors (only) to logfilename (very handy)

I think it's quite clever at buffering so copying runs pretty quickly.

http://www.xxcopy.com/
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote
Bob Eager wrote
PAJ wrote

Another good free tool is teracopy, graphical interface and continues when a copy error is encountered

/C on XCOPY

and lists all files copied or not copied.

XCOPY does that by default but /Q suppresses it.

Any opinion on XXCOPY?

Very decent, but its not that fast.

One big advantage with it is that you can let it churn away in the background
for as long as it takes, then do another to update what got changed while it was
churning away and the second one is very quick because it only does the changes.

Very powerful, loads of options inc lots on reporting but that in turn makes it more difficult to remember the
switches.

eg. Geoff's command line would be:

XXCOPY /S /V /H /oNlogfilename source(*.*) dest

/S for include subdirectories
/V for verify copy by file size only
/H for include system and hidden files
/oN for log errors (only) to logfilename (very handy)

I think it's quite clever at buffering so copying runs pretty quickly.

Much slower than say with explorer tho.

http://www.xxcopy.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 17, 11:13*pm, geoff wrote:
Windows XP

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories to
another HD, some directories come out with the same number of files and
some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same different
value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

Put a linux live disc in it, boot it up, it solves so many problems.
Live distros often take no notice of any file permissions, making
backup much easier.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes

Windows XP

I'm trying to free up some space on a hard drive. Moving directories to
another HD, some directories come out with the same number of files and
some don't (I'm talking about several thousand files/directory)

I tried transferring the same directory twice and get the same
different value on the destination drive.

Is this a quirk of windows?

Thanks to everyone who replied

It ended up being a group of corrupted files that refused to do anything

I had to use DOS del to get rid of them, they refused to go with the
normal delete command

--
geoff