Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Victorian carpenter's message

I was doing some work on our (victorian) house at the weekend and I found this note scribbled on a piece of 1"x7" timber hidden behind some panelling.

It's just silly curiosity, but can anyone suggest what "PB" might be?

"If you have some PB on the go will you please rip some 3x3 for lintels do enough for 5 sets of bays Clare St and Abbye
P.S. i thought this 1x7 would do for something."

Robert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 14, 9:09*am, RobertL wrote:

It's just silly curiosity, but can anyone suggest what "PB" might be?

Lead?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 14, 2012 9:09:11 AM UTC+1, RobertL wrote:
I was doing some work on our (victorian) house at the weekend and I found this note scribbled on a piece of 1"x7" timber hidden behind some panelling.

It's just silly curiosity, but can anyone suggest what "PB" might be?

"If you have some PB on the go will you please rip some 3x3 for lintels do enough for 5 sets of bays Clare St and Abbye
P.S. i thought this 1x7 would do for something."

Robert

Phyllostachys Bambusoides (Japanese Timber Bamboo) ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 14, 2012 9:09:11 AM UTC+1, RobertL wrote:

It's just silly curiosity, but can anyone suggest what "PB" might be?

Robert

Plymouth Bretheren
pine boards
peanut butter
personal best
public borrowing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2012 09:09, RobertL wrote:
I was doing some work on our (victorian) house at the weekend and I found this note scribbled on a piece of 1"x7" timber hidden behind some panelling.

It's just silly curiosity, but can anyone suggest what "PB" might be?

"If you have some PB on the go will you please rip some 3x3 for lintels do enough for 5 sets of bays Clare St and Abbye
P.S. i thought this 1x7 would do for something."

Robert

Pb meaning plumbum aka lead perhaps ?

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2012 09:09, RobertL wrote:
I was doing some work on our (victorian) house at the weekend and I found this note scribbled on a piece of 1"x7" timber hidden behind some panelling.

It's just silly curiosity, but can anyone suggest what "PB" might be?

"If you have some PB on the go will you please rip some 3x3 for lintels do enough for 5 sets of bays Clare St and Abbye
P.S. i thought this 1x7 would do for something."

Plasterboard, of course...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2012 09:16:03 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

"If you have some PB on the go will you please rip some 3x3 for

lintels
do enough for 5 sets of bays Clare St and Abbye P.S. i thought

this 1x7
would do for something."

Pb meaning plumbum aka lead perhaps ?

3 x 3 Lead lintels for bays? They would sag under their own weight,
that's assuming people could actually lift a 3 x 3 lead lintel that
is long enough for a bay (window?).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, May 14, 2012 3:59:18 PM UTC+1, Onetap wrote:
On Monday, May 14, 2012 9:09:11 AM UTC+1, RobertL wrote:

It's just silly curiosity, but can anyone suggest what "PB" might be?

Robert

Plymouth Bretheren
pine boards
peanut butter
personal best
public borrowing

"Pine board" would fit nicely. thanks, I'll be able to sleep now :-)

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2012 10:19, RobertL wrote:
On Monday, May 14, 2012 3:59:18 PM UTC+1, Onetap wrote:
On Monday, May 14, 2012 9:09:11 AM UTC+1, RobertL wrote:

It's just silly curiosity, but can anyone suggest what "PB" might be?

Robert

Plymouth Bretheren
pine boards
peanut butter
personal best
public borrowing

"Pine board" would fit nicely. thanks, I'll be able to sleep now :-)

Although the context suggests it is more likely to refer to a quality of
timber; one suitable for making lintels from, which, presumably, needed
to be straight grained and knot free.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:19:47 AM UTC+1, RobertL wrote:

"Pine board" would fit nicely. thanks, I'll be able to sleep now :-)

PBS is planed both sides, so maybe 'planed both'; it sounds more plausible IMHO. We shall never care.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:09:54 PM UTC+1, Onetap wrote:
On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:19:47 AM UTC+1, RobertL wrote:

"Pine board" would fit nicely. thanks, I'll be able to sleep now :-)

PBS is planed both sides, so maybe 'planed both'; it sounds more plausible IMHO. We shall never care.

Including cryptic messages for future generations to find is a vital part of building / DIY work. Things like "Note to self: Need to sharpen the furtlewangler", or "W. Churchill was 'ere". Its also nice to hide a newspaper under the floorboards. The pages I found from the 1940s were quite interesting.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 May 2012 01:53:53 -0700, sm_jamieson wrote:

On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:09:54 PM UTC+1, Onetap wrote:
On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:19:47 AM UTC+1, RobertL wrote:

"Pine board" would fit nicely. thanks, I'll be able to sleep now :-)

PBS is planed both sides, so maybe 'planed both'; it sounds more
plausible IMHO. We shall never care.

Including cryptic messages for future generations to find is a vital
part of building / DIY work. Things like "Note to self: Need to sharpen
the furtlewangler", or "W. Churchill was 'ere". Its also nice to hide a
newspaper under the floorboards. The pages I found from the 1940s were
quite interesting.

Simon.

I found a message left circa 1969 "Roger wuz ere" or similar.

As it happens (despite two intervening occupiers) I actually know Roger!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2012 09:53, sm_jamieson wrote:
On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:09:54 PM UTC+1, Onetap wrote:
On Tuesday, May 15, 2012 10:19:47 AM UTC+1, RobertL wrote:

"Pine board" would fit nicely. thanks, I'll be able to sleep now :-)

PBS is planed both sides, so maybe 'planed both'; it sounds more plausible IMHO. We shall never care.

Including cryptic messages for future generations to find is a vital part of building / DIY work. Things like "Note to self: Need to sharpen the furtlewangler", or "W. Churchill was 'ere". Its also nice to hide a newspaper under the floorboards. The pages I found from the 1940s were quite interesting.

Unless it has been destroyed during a refit, my signature is hidden
inside part of the superstructure of the QE2.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 May 2012 01:53:53 -0700 (PDT), sm_jamieson
wrote:

Its also nice to hide a newspaper under the floorboards.
The pages I found from the 1940s were quite interesting.

In 1973, under the floor in my folk's house I found a local rag from
1935 in which was an ad for the very same street of new-build houses.
Around 450 pounds, iirc, for a detached two-bed bungalow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 May 2012 12:45:47 +0100, Nightjar
wrote:

Unless it has been destroyed during a refit, my signature is hidden
inside part of the superstructure of the QE2.

As were many shipwrights' turds.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
3 x 3 Lead lintels for bays? They would sag under their own weight,
that's assuming people could actually lift a 3 x 3 lead lintel

I finally cleared out the pile of lead piping from my cellar to
cash it in. I filled a box in the car, but could then bearly
get the box out in one go - tho' it got me 70 quid.

JGH