Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can Anyone Remember Name ?

When I first started sparking, back in 1973, the chap whom I was working for
used to crosscut floorbaords using a ratchet type circular saw blade.

Can anyone remeber these.....?

Can anyone remember wthe name of them......?

Can anyone remember who made them.....?

Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that the_constructor formulated :
When I first started sparking, back in 1973, the chap whom I was working for
used to crosscut floorbaords using a ratchet type circular saw blade.

Can anyone remeber these.....?

Yes.

Can anyone remember wthe name of them......?

No, sorry.

Can anyone remember who made them.....?

Spear and Jackson, but not certain

Never used one, but as I remember...

They came out in the mid 1960's. You knelt on it and cranked an handle
to saw the board beneath the blade.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
o.uk...
When I first started sparking, back in 1973, the chap whom I was working
for used to crosscut floorbaords using a ratchet type circular saw blade.

Can anyone remeber these.....?

Yes.

Can anyone remember wthe name of them......?

Bloody Hard Work.

Can anyone remember who made them.....?

Nope.

Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 12, 1:21*pm, "the_constructor"
wrote:
When I first started sparking, back in 1973, the chap whom I was working for
used to crosscut floorbaords using a ratchet type circular saw blade.

Can't answer your questions but is this the gadget?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Fl...-/251055435144
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
When I first started sparking, back in 1973, the chap whom I was working for
used to crosscut floorbaords using a ratchet type circular saw blade.

Can't answer your questions but is this the gadget?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Fl...-/251055435144

Or this?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLADES-DEL...-/400296491530

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.wikipatents.com/GB-Patent...utting-devices

Is an electrician's skate just for removing the tongue of a board?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/05/2012 13:21, the_constructor wrote:
When I first started sparking, back in 1973, the chap whom I was working for
used to crosscut floorbaords using a ratchet type circular saw blade.

Can anyone remeber these.....?

Never used one but remember them

Can anyone remember the name of them......?

Ratchet flooring saw

Can anyone remember who made them.....?

Based on the electricians' ratchet brace for drilling through joists in
confined spaces, so I'd guess Stanley

You can still get something of the sort in the US for cutting laminate:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2MOzKjm2uA

Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:

When I first started sparking, back in 1973, the chap whom I was working
for used to crosscut floorbaords using a ratchet type circular saw blade.

Can anyone remeber these.....?

Can anyone remember wthe name of them......?

Can anyone remember who made them.....?

Jim G

I still have my one
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1525/12512.jpg
but no makers name, a very useful tool 50 years ago,
very few tradesmen or DIYers had much in the way of power tools
for cutting floorboards.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 May 2012 23:17:14 +0100, Mark wrote:

the_constructor wrote:

When I first started sparking, back in 1973, the chap whom I was working
for used to crosscut floorbaords using a ratchet type circular saw blade.

Can anyone remeber these.....?

Can anyone remember wthe name of them......?

Can anyone remember who made them.....?

Jim G

I still have my one
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1525/12512.jpg
but no makers name, a very useful tool 50 years ago,
very few tradesmen or DIYers had much in the way of power tools
for cutting floorboards.

I had one of those many years ago, supplied by the GPO as, ISTR, a
"Saws Floorboard". I loaned it to someone (together with a few
"Chisels Wood", who shortly after, emigrated to South Africa, and I've
never seen them (or Bob White!) since :-(
The green bit had a hollowed face, into which you were supposed to
kneel to put pressure on the blade. There was some sort of depth stop
adjustment, not easily seen in the pic.
As you say, there were few alternatives apart from that sort of saw
like a tenon saw with a convex cutting face, or mutilating the boards
with a chisel.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:

[...]

I have one of those tenon saws!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 May 2012 00:10:31 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

I had one of those many years ago, supplied by the GPO as, ISTR, a "Saws
Floorboard". I loaned it to someone (together with a few "Chisels Wood",
who shortly after, emigrated to South Africa, and I've never seen them
(or Bob White!) since :-( The green bit had a hollowed face, into which
you were supposed to kneel to put pressure on the blade. There was some
sort of depth stop adjustment, not easily seen in the pic. As you say,
there were few alternatives apart from that sort of saw like a tenon saw
with a convex cutting face, or mutilating the boards with a chisel.

I have one of those tenon saws!

I have watched someone cut through floor boards using a plain tenon saw.
He made it look really simple.
he started on one side and then swopped sides to finish it.
No notch in the boards either side.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 May, 15:14, mike wrote:
http://www.wikipatents.com/GB-Patent...s-in-or-relati...

Is an electrician's skate just for removing the tongue of a board?

I think it is the same thing, called a Delway floorboard cutter. Looks
a bit different from the GPO Saws Floorboard that I once tried
(unsuccessfully) to use but similar idea. Don't seem to be made now.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
o.uk...
When I first started sparking, back in 1973, the chap whom I was working
for used to crosscut floorbaords using a ratchet type circular saw blade.

Can anyone remeber these.....?

Can anyone remember wthe name of them......?

Can anyone remember who made them.....?

Jim G

After a few times of watching him do this, I was given the job from then on.

I progressed from that to using a rawlplug tool with a lump hammer. Boy my
thumbs were bloody a few times and the number of times I slipped with the
hammer and took the skin of the back of my hands.

Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message ...
the_constructor wrote:

When I first started sparking, back in 1973, the chap whom I was working
for used to crosscut floorbaords using a ratchet type circular saw blade.

Can anyone remeber these.....?

Can anyone remember wthe name of them......?

Can anyone remember who made them.....?

Jim G

I still have my one
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1525/12512.jpg
but no makers name, a very useful tool 50 years ago,
very few tradesmen or DIYers had much in the way of power tools
for cutting floorboards.

Mark, if you ever wish to sell that item, please inbox me
Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
the_constructor wrote:

When I first started sparking, back in 1973, the chap whom I was working
for used to crosscut floorbaords using a ratchet type circular saw
blade.

Can anyone remeber these.....?

Can anyone remember wthe name of them......?

Can anyone remember who made them.....?

Jim G

I still have my one
http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/1525/12512.jpg
but no makers name, a very useful tool 50 years ago,
very few tradesmen or DIYers had much in the way of power tools
for cutting floorboards.

Mark, if you ever wish to sell that item, please inbox me
Jim G

well i actually have the set, the rotary saw and the tenon floorboard saw,
and even some new spare blades for the rotary saw.
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1971/151205.jpg
but im not very good at parting with things ;(
One day it will all have to go, will keep you in mind.

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 May 2012 13:41:28 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

When I first started sparking, back in 1973, the chap whom I was
working for used to crosscut floorbaords using a ratchet type

circular
saw blade.

Can anyone remeber these.....?

At 52 I'm obviously too young to remember them but a great looking
and useful tool. Thanks for the post, when the **** hits the fan and
we have to revert to hand tools ideas like that could be very useful.

Can anyone remember who made them.....?

Spear and Jackson, but not certain

The one imaged looks like a "chinese import" of that period, my
father/grandfather had (I probably have now...) similar cheap looking
and colour schemed tools. Pretty sure S&J or Stanley would have their
brand on them and Stanley have used yellow/orange as their corporate
colour for donkeys years.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mike wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Fl...-/251055435144

Item ended - methinks the_constructor is now cursing ggroups for being
out of touch for a few days ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 May 2012 08:55:40 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

Pretty sure S&J or Stanley would have their
brand on them and Stanley have used yellow/orange as their corporate
colour for donkeys years.

Before that, Stanley had Hammerite finish on a few things.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14 May, 23:24, Andy Burns wrote:
mike wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Fl...-/251055435144

Item ended - methinks the_constructor is now cursing ggroups for being
out of touch for a few days ...

Another one here on eBay
http://preview.tinyurl.com/bubsgsq

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
mike wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Fl...-/251055435144

Item ended - methinks the_constructor is now cursing ggroups for being out
of touch for a few days ...

Me has been in hospital for the last couple of days for an Angiogram.
All is well. Arteries and heart of a youngster. I am 60
Jim G.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 May 2012 21:22:56 +0100, "the_constructor"
wrote:

Me has been in hospital for the last couple of days for an Angiogram.
All is well. Arteries and heart of a youngster. I am 60

You old basrarr.
I'm a mere 58.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Me has been in hospital for the last couple of days for an Angiogram.
All is well. Arteries and heart of a youngster. I am 60

You old basrarr.
I'm a mere 58.

2 days after the 60th birthday I gets a letter asking me to take part in
bowel cancer screen. You have this joy to look forward to
Jim G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 May 2012 11:02:24 +0100, "the_constructor"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Me has been in hospital for the last couple of days for an Angiogram.
All is well. Arteries and heart of a youngster. I am 60

You old basrarr.
I'm a mere 58.

2 days after the 60th birthday I gets a letter asking me to take part in
bowel cancer screen. You have this joy to look forward to

Since this is a D-i-Y group, perhaps we should all share our different
erme techniques for obtaining the samples.

I'll kick off

Bucket, Tesco carrier bag, local newspaper.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
the_constructor scribeth thus

wrote:

Me has been in hospital for the last couple of days for an Angiogram.
All is well. Arteries and heart of a youngster. I am 60

You old basrarr.
I'm a mere 58.

2 days after the 60th birthday I gets a letter asking me to take part in
bowel cancer screen. You have this joy to look forward to
Jim G

Go for it. I had a bit of blood on the poo and that turned out to be a
large pre cancerous polyp some 22 mm in diameter. Found on the sliver
snake up the botty exam, polyp snipped out and another case of bowel
cancer prevented ..

"Just like that" as Tommy Cooper would have muttered;!..

This site is very good on that subject well worth a read if your over 55
odd;!. Some interesting vids on there...

http://www.gihealth.com/
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 May 2012 11:48:49 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

In article ,
the_constructor scribeth thus

. ..
wrote:

Me has been in hospital for the last couple of days for an Angiogram.
All is well. Arteries and heart of a youngster. I am 60

You old basrarr.
I'm a mere 58.

2 days after the 60th birthday I gets a letter asking me to take part in
bowel cancer screen. You have this joy to look forward to Jim G

Go for it. I had a bit of blood on the poo and that turned out to be a
large pre cancerous polyp some 22 mm in diameter. Found on the sliver
snake up the botty exam, polyp snipped out and another case of bowel
cancer prevented ..

Indeed. I was happy to take part, as a good friend of mine died of bowel
cancer.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Me has been in hospital for the last couple of days for an
Angiogram. All is well. Arteries and heart of a youngster. I am 60

You old basrarr.
I'm a mere 58.

2 days after the 60th birthday I gets a letter asking me to take part
in bowel cancer screen. You have this joy to look forward to

In Scotland the screening starts at 50.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Me has been in hospital for the last couple of days for an
Angiogram. All is well. Arteries and heart of a youngster. I am 60

You old basrarr.
I'm a mere 58.

2 days after the 60th birthday I gets a letter asking me to take
part in bowel cancer screen. You have this joy to look forward to

Since this is a D-i-Y group, perhaps we should all share our different
erme techniques for obtaining the samples.

I'll kick off

Bucket, Tesco carrier bag, local newspaper.

Way too complicated. Several folded sheets of loo paper held in hand
beneath bum. Perform, catch, job(bie) done.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Me has been in hospital for the last couple of days for an Angiogram.
All is well. Arteries and heart of a youngster. I am 60

You old basrarr.
I'm a mere 58.

2 days after the 60th birthday I gets a letter asking me to take part in
bowel cancer screen. You have this joy to look forward to

Since this is a D-i-Y group, perhaps we should all share our different
erme techniques for obtaining the samples.

Angle grinder.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 17 May 2012 11:29:45 +0100, Nick Odell
wrote:

of faecal sampling

Bucket, Tesco carrier bag, local newspaper.

In order, or all at once?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Me has been in hospital for the last couple of days for an Angiogram.
All is well. Arteries and heart of a youngster. I am 60

You old basrarr.
I'm a mere 58.

2 days after the 60th birthday I gets a letter asking me to take part in
bowel cancer screen. You have this joy to look forward to

Since this is a D-i-Y group, perhaps we should all share our different
erme techniques for obtaining the samples.

I'll kick off

Bucket, Tesco carrier bag, local newspaper.

That could be a game for the cube AFTER the simplify

I remember Gary[_11_] UK diy 81 May 18th 12 05:54 PM
O/T: We Shall Remember Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 9 December 8th 09 05:55 AM
remember it savy Woodturning 0 October 25th 09 03:32 PM
Remember in the 30s elliot Woodworking 9 November 27th 07 10:53 PM
Remember Tom Quackenbush Home Repair 0 November 12th 06 12:09 AM