Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Remember in the 30s

Thinking of the guy buying a table saw...Carpenters use to come to work
carrying different hand saws. I remember my uncle snapping a line and
using a rip saw...back in the day...not alot of heavy guys on the job
site...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 23, 4:08 pm, (elliot) wrote:
Thinking of the guy buying a table saw...Carpenters use to come to work
carrying different hand saws. I remember my uncle snapping a line and
using a rip saw...back in the day...not alot of heavy guys on the job
site...

Yes, and they had at least 3 different hammers as well, and knew how
to use them!
Posted to rec.woodworking

ya and i remember whe i was a kid alot of those old carpenter's with
hand saws missing fingers. howd they do that?
ross

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ross..they also used hatchets..back then, .Who knows how many fingers
hatchets have separated from the owner..

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ross Hebeisen wrote:
ya and i remember whe i was a kid alot of those old carpenter's with
hand saws missing fingers. howd they do that?

Most of 'em probably lost their fingers from doing a bit of extra work
around harvest time on the farms. I suspect more people lost limbs to
bailers and binders than to hand saws or hammers, over any time window
when both were common activities.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Colin B. wrote:
Ross Hebeisen wrote:
ya and i remember whe i was a kid alot of those old carpenter's with
hand saws missing fingers. howd they do that?

Most of 'em probably lost their fingers from doing a bit of extra work
around harvest time on the farms. I suspect more people lost limbs to
bailers and binders than to hand saws or hammers, over any time window
when both were common activities.

My wife's grandfather was short a few digits due to getting to close to
the sows when the little piglets were freshly arrived. Yum, fingers -
the other white meat...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Winterburn" wrote in message
Colin B. wrote:
Ross Hebeisen wrote:
ya and i remember whe i was a kid alot of those old carpenter's with
hand saws missing fingers. howd they do that?

Most of 'em probably lost their fingers from doing a bit of extra work
around harvest time on the farms. I suspect more people lost limbs to
bailers and binders than to hand saws or hammers, over any time window
when both were common activities.

My wife's grandfather was short a few digits due to getting to close to
the sows when the little piglets were freshly arrived. Yum, fingers - the
other white meat...

"Baby - the other other white meat." --Fat *******

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Colin B." wrote:
Most of 'em probably lost their fingers from doing a bit of extra

work
around harvest time on the farms. I suspect more people lost limbs

bailers and binders than to hand saws or hammers, over any time

window
when both were common activities.

Don't forget corn pickers.

Matter of fact a farmer cut off his arm to save himself when it got
caught in a corn picker the other day, according to news reports.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 27, 12:03 am, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Matter of fact a farmer cut off his arm to save himself when it got
caught in a corn picker the other day, according to news reports.

Puts me in mind of the time I was at the local watering hole one night
chatting with a guy who delivered for a local feed mill in his spare
time who told me he'd knocked at a house he knew, expecting the wife
to answer because it was harvest time in the middle of the day, and
the farmer answered, in his bathrobe. Looked like he had a rash on his
arms. He said "I was clearing out the combine when the sleeve of my
union suit got caught and it started to pull me in. I managed to grab
a piece of stationary iron so I stayed put but I couldn't move, and it
slowly ripped my long underwear off my body through my pants and
shirt. Took longer than you'd expect, and it was kinda painful. After
it was done I drove the tractor into the yard and parked it. I'll get
back out there tomorrow but I decided to take the rest of the day off."
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Don't forget corn pickers.

Matter of fact a farmer cut off his arm to save himself when it got
caught in a corn picker the other day, according to news reports.

.... and cane cutters.

Met a one-handed Aussie cane cutter back in the sixties who'd reportedly
chopped his hand off at the wrist with a cane knife after being bitten by a
taipan.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/16/07

Remember Tom Quackenbush Woodworking 0 November 12th 06 12:09 AM
Remember Tom Quackenbush Home Repair 0 November 12th 06 12:09 AM
Anyone Remember This Drying Fad? George Woodturning 7 January 9th 06 12:39 PM
OT Please to Remember Seven November George Woodturning 0 November 8th 05 04:29 PM
Does anyone remember..... Jim Warman Woodworking 8 August 13th 04 10:06 AM