Junior Member

Default problem removing old basin waste

Having replaced all my other taps/wastes without a problem - I am stuck on the bathroom basin as have so far been unable to seperate the plug hole section from the under basin housing (It is the usual metal thread screw-in). Any suggestions as to how to loosen it would be appreciated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/04/2012 12:33, crates wrote:
Having replaced all my other taps/wastes without a problem - I am stuck
on the bathroom basin as have so far been unable to seperate the plug
hole section from the under basin housing (It is the usual metal thread
screw-in). Any suggestions as to how to loosen it would be appreciated.

More info needed, what are you actually trying to replace? The plug hole
bit, the connector from the overflow to the waste (if there is one), the
trap? Is it a plastic trap? How much are you trying to save, and why?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:33:07 PM UTC+1, crates wrote:
Having replaced all my other taps/wastes without a problem - I am stuck
on the bathroom basin as have so far been unable to seperate the plug
hole section from the under basin housing (It is the usual metal thread
screw-in). Any suggestions as to how to loosen it would be appreciated.

Be very very careful!

I was trying to do exactly this yesterday and ended up tearing the ceramic around the waste with the turning force I was putting on the nut. If you're determined to do this, I suggest you use two wrenches and apply an opposite force to the body of the waste to balance the force on the nut. This should reduce the stress you put on the ceramic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 24/04/2012 12:33, crates wrote:
Having replaced all my other taps/wastes without a problem - I am stuck
on the bathroom basin as have so far been unable to seperate the plug
hole section from the under basin housing (It is the usual metal thread
screw-in). Any suggestions as to how to loosen it would be appreciated.

Angle grinder.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo !

Gas axe.

And it would work as all you'd need to do is warm the compound that is
sealing it without melting the lot. :-p

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
crates

Angle grinder. (Provided you don't want to reuse it.)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 11:33:07 +0000, crates wrote:

Having replaced all my other taps/wastes without a problem - I am stuck
on the bathroom basin as have so far been unable to seperate the plug
hole section from the under basin housing (It is the usual metal thread
screw-in). Any suggestions as to how to loosen it would be appreciated.

If you mean the getting the basin waste itself (a sort of large hollow
nut & bolt affair) off the basin then if you can't unscrew the nut then
you can saw down the middle of the bolt part i.e. the threaded tube
protruding beneath the basin until you also saw the nut in half. The
halves of the nut can then easily be split apart off the bolt bit.

It can still be hard to remove the bolt and its flanged head from the
basin: if it's been set in with Plumber's Mait that can have set rock
hard ad be gluing the brass fitting to the porcelain. Repeated moderate
hammering on the below-basin end of the thread can break the adhesion and
eventually free it.

Or break the basin :-(

--
John Stumbles -- http://yaph.co.uk

No Rules OK
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crates View Post
Having replaced all my other taps/wastes without a problem - I am stuck on the bathroom basin as have so far been unable to seperate the plug hole section from the under basin housing (It is the usual metal thread screw-in). Any suggestions as to how to loosen it would be appreciated.
Apologies for lack of correct information. Should have made clear all old and new replacements are lever pop-up. So no central bolt. The basin plug hole section screws directly into the under-sink lever housing.

Have removed many before by holding plug hole section tightly in place and using wrench or large screwdriver in the aperture for the pop-up lever and applying counter-force to unscrew.

In this instance cannot start the seperation using full force.

crates
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can you grab it round the bottom using a stilson wrench? It mashes up the thread a bit but not enough to stop you getting the nut off.

That said, the angle grinder approach might be better.

Basin waste John UK diy 13 November 8th 10 06:16 PM
Connecting basin waste to WC waste avocado UK diy 3 June 13th 08 09:13 AM
Basin waste lever problem Mungo Henning UK diy 0 December 13th 06 08:39 PM
Adding a basin to a toilet with no route for basin waste pipe Richard Hamer UK diy 24 July 22nd 04 12:12 AM
Simple problem with basin waste (I hope) Robert Chafer UK diy 2 February 14th 04 05:34 AM