Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New wiki article (nearly) - Electronics repair

As discussed some time ago, this is the *start* of a new article:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...tronics_repair

This one would benefit from a group effort to flesh it out with some
practical examples and guidance.

There are plenty of general articles out there on electronics repair,
hence one that includes some real life diagnosis and repairs of flaky
kit would be in keeping with our DIY ethic.

So, dive in ;-)

Links to good youtube content would be particularly useful here...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm writes
As discussed some time ago, this is the *start* of a new article:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...tronics_repair

This one would benefit from a group effort to flesh it out with some
practical examples and guidance.

There are plenty of general articles out there on electronics repair,
hence one that includes some real life diagnosis and repairs of flaky
kit would be in keeping with our DIY ethic.

So, dive in ;-)

Links to good youtube content would be particularly useful here...

Nice job and good youtube finds, the re-balling guy looks as if he has
done one or two before ;-). It looks like hard work for the money
though.

The SM IC soldering vid was excellent too.

Nothing to add just yet.

The lack of thermal reliefs on power plane connection to smps caps has
always hacked me off, I don't believe it makes a significant difference
to the impedance of the connection to the lead.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:24:36 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

As discussed some time ago, this is the *start* of a new article:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...tronics_repair

This one would benefit from a group effort to flesh it out with some
practical examples and guidance.

There are plenty of general articles out there on electronics repair,
hence one that includes some real life diagnosis and repairs of flaky
kit would be in keeping with our DIY ethic.

So, dive in ;-)

Links to good youtube content would be particularly useful here...

Have a look at the CuriousInventor ones - particularly those on soldering:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CuriousInventor

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2012 22:52, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:24:36 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

As discussed some time ago, this is the *start* of a new article:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...tronics_repair

This one would benefit from a group effort to flesh it out with some
practical examples and guidance.

There are plenty of general articles out there on electronics repair,
hence one that includes some real life diagnosis and repairs of flaky
kit would be in keeping with our DIY ethic.

So, dive in ;-)

Links to good youtube content would be particularly useful here...

Have a look at the CuriousInventor ones - particularly those on soldering:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CuriousInventor

Ta, Added their drag solder technique link...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 23, 8:24*pm, John Rumm wrote:
As discussed some time ago, this is the *start* of a new article:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...tronics_repair

This one would benefit from a group effort to flesh it out with some
practical examples and guidance.

There are plenty of general articles out there on electronics repair,
hence one that includes some real life diagnosis and repairs of flaky
kit would be in keeping with our DIY ethic.

So, dive in ;-)

Links to good youtube content would be particularly useful here...

--
Cheers,

John.

| * * * * *Internode Ltd - *http://www.internode.co.uk* * * * * *|
| * * * *John Rumm - john(at)internode(dot)co(dot)uk * * * * * * *|

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 23, 8:24*pm, John Rumm wrote:
As discussed some time ago, this is the *start* of a new article:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...tronics_repair

This one would benefit from a group effort to flesh it out with some
practical examples and guidance.

There are plenty of general articles out there on electronics repair,
hence one that includes some real life diagnosis and repairs of flaky
kit would be in keeping with our DIY ethic.

So, dive in ;-)

Links to good youtube content would be particularly useful here...

Just one point, the biggest cause of failures by far is bad
connections. That subject alone could take up a whole article.

I also think its good to acknowledge that one single article on
repairs is inevitably going to be far short of covering the topic, no
matter how excellent the article, and can probably only usefully cover
things doable by people with very little electronic skill, which
probably covers 98% of diyers. Unless we're going to write an array of
electronic repair articles, people with skill on the topic will
already find far more advice elsewhere.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 23:06:01 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

On 23/04/2012 22:52, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 23 Apr 2012 20:24:36 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

As discussed some time ago, this is the *start* of a new article:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...tronics_repair

This one would benefit from a group effort to flesh it out with some
practical examples and guidance.

There are plenty of general articles out there on electronics repair,
hence one that includes some real life diagnosis and repairs of flaky
kit would be in keeping with our DIY ethic.

So, dive in ;-)

Links to good youtube content would be particularly useful here...

Have a look at the CuriousInventor ones - particularly those on
soldering:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CuriousInventor

Ta, Added their drag solder technique link...

That's a good one, but some of the other soldering ones I found
interesting...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote
John Rumm wrote

As discussed some time ago, this is the *start* of a new article:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...tronics_repair

This one would benefit from a group effort to flesh
it out with some practical examples and guidance.

There are plenty of general articles out there on electronics
repair, hence one that includes some real life diagnosis and
repairs of flaky kit would be in keeping with our DIY ethic.

So, dive in ;-)

Links to good youtube content would be particularly useful here...

Just one point, the biggest cause of failures by far is bad connections.

That's very arguable indeed with most modern electronic devices.

That subject alone could take up a whole article.

I also think its good to acknowledge that one single article on
repairs is inevitably going to be far short of covering the topic,
no matter how excellent the article, and can probably only
usefully cover things doable by people with very little electronic
skill, which probably covers 98% of diyers. Unless we're going
to write an array of electronic repair articles, people with skill
on the topic will already find far more advice elsewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-23, Bob Eager wrote:

Have a look at the CuriousInventor ones - particularly those on soldering:

http://www.youtube.com/user/CuriousInventor

I guess this is an opportunity for someone to cite toaster ovens as
another example of American fire hazards....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2012 23:28, NT wrote:
On Apr 23, 8:24 pm, John wrote:
As discussed some time ago, this is the *start* of a new article:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...tronics_repair

This one would benefit from a group effort to flesh it out with some
practical examples and guidance.

There are plenty of general articles out there on electronics repair,
hence one that includes some real life diagnosis and repairs of flaky
kit would be in keeping with our DIY ethic.

So, dive in ;-)

Links to good youtube content would be particularly useful here...

Just one point, the biggest cause of failures by far is bad
connections. That subject alone could take up a whole article.

Well if it turns out to be useful, no harm in splitting it into more as
the need develops.

I also think its good to acknowledge that one single article on
repairs is inevitably going to be far short of covering the topic, no
matter how excellent the article, and can probably only usefully cover
things doable by people with very little electronic skill, which
probably covers 98% of diyers. Unless we're going to write an array of

That's fair enough, but even at that level there is plenty of stuff that
can be repaired.

electronic repair articles, people with skill on the topic will
already find far more advice elsewhere.

Partly why I thought something with a more practical theme, with an
intro (partly done), and then walkthroughs for various repairs to give a
flavour of the approach and techniques.

(Just added one, for fixes to the PSUs on a couple of network switches)

--
Cheers,

John.