Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Interesting article about Iceland-UK power interconnect

on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-afoot-to-tap-
icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 5:58*am, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-afoot-to-tap-
icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

This Euroland supergrid looks an ideal target for terrorists.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote
Mike Tomlinson wrote
on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/04/plans-afoot-to-tap-icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

This Euroland supergrid looks an ideal target for terrorists.

Too hard to **** enough of it to matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-afoot-to-tap-
icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

Interesting that Iceland don't get ALL their own energy from geothermal
sources yet and yet they're hoping to export buckets of it.

Not saying that it's not there for the taking but it just seems odd that
they're not using 100% renewable power already.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote
Mike Tomlinson wrote

on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/04/plans-afoot-to-tap-icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

Interesting that Iceland don't get ALL their own energy from geothermal
sources yet and yet they're hoping to export buckets of it.

Not saying that it's not there for the taking but it just seems
odd that they're not using 100% renewable power already.

Its basically because there is other cheaper power, most obviously with
hydro.

Geothermal does have other advantages for them tho, most obviously
with heating their houses in winter etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-afoot-to-tap-
icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

Interesting that there are a lot of proposed solar concentrators down in the
Gulf oil states.
A sweetener to compensate for reduced oil revenue?

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Tim wrote
Mike Tomlinson wrote

on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/04/plans-afoot-to-tap-icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

Interesting that Iceland don't get ALL their own energy from geothermal
sources yet and yet they're hoping to export buckets of it.

Not saying that it's not there for the taking but it just seems
odd that they're not using 100% renewable power already.

Its basically because there is other cheaper power, most obviously with
hydro.

Geothermal does have other advantages for them tho, most obviously
with heating their houses in winter etc.

And it supplies a lot of their "normal" hot water needs.

In some places they don't even put it through a heat exchanger and it comes
directly out of the taps smelling of Sulphur - flipping terrible it is!

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rod Speed
wrote:
Tim wrote
Mike Tomlinson wrote

on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/04/plans-afoot-to-tap-icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a
while back.)

Interesting that Iceland don't get ALL their own energy from geothermal
sources yet and yet they're hoping to export buckets of it.

Not saying that it's not there for the taking but it just seems odd
that they're not using 100% renewable power already.

Its basically because there is other cheaper power, most obviously with
hydro.

Geothermal does have other advantages for them tho, most obviously with
heating their houses in winter etc.

you aren't suggesting hot water pipes from Iceland to here are you?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-afoot-to-tap-
icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

I don't understand why they aren't routing it via the Faeroes to link up
with what seems an obvious place for (yet more) offshore [1] wind farms, and
(once we have the technology cost effective) tidal and/or wave power.

Splitting it into two might also make it more robust, and extendable

Otherwise I think this is a damned good idea, but obviously I have no idea
of the cost effectiveness.

tim

[1] Yes, I know that members of this group think that this is dumb, but TPTB
don't

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote
wrote:
[...]

Nope, just commenting on why they don’t use just geothermal
and why, when hydro is cheaper, they don’t have more hydro.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 11:16*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
charles wrote

wrote:
[...]

and why, when hydro is cheaper, they don’t have more hydro.- Hide quoted text -

I think a massive new hydro scheme has recently been completed.
Now they have discovered they can't live on being banksters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1...dropower_Plant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , charles
escribió:

you aren't suggesting hot water pipes from Iceland to here are you?

Wouldn't surprise me. He really is that dim.

Rod Speed FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/883xp7v

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Interesting. They're certainly energetic buggers and even more interesting
that the much more spectacular financial implosion than anyone else has
seen this time around has had so little effect on stuff like that too.

Corse they have **** all, so I guess they have to keep going somehow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , charles
escribió:

you aren't suggesting hot water pipes from Iceland to here are you?

Wouldn't surprise me. He really is that dim.

Rod Speed FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/883xp7v

Dimmer than an old CFL?

And thanks for the Iceland link.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Corse they have **** all, so I guess they have to keep going somehow.- Hide quoted text -

They sell cod too. And aluminium.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote
Rod Speed wrote
harry wrote
Rod Speed wrote
charles wrote
wrote:
[...]

Peanuts basically. Their total exports of all kinds are only $5B, it’s a
tiny little place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

They left their failed banks go bust. Clearly it was the way to go.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 23, 8:48*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
harry wrote

Rod Speed wrote
harry wrote
Rod Speed wrote
charles wrote
wrote:
[...]

tiny little place.- Hide quoted text -

It was a tiny little RICH place.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote
Rod Speed wrote
harry wrote
Rod Speed wrote
charles wrote
[...]

For them, yep. Not viable for a country that has pretentions
for mattering in the world banking system tho.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Nope, it never was that. It was JUST another Ponzi scheme which was
always going to implode spectacularly just like ALL Ponzi schemes do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 7:20*am, Tim wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-afoot-to-tap-
icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

Interesting thatIcelanddon't get ALL their own energy from geothermal
sources yet and yet they're hoping to export buckets of it.

Not saying that it's not there for the taking but it just seems odd that
they're not using 100% renewable power already.

Tim

All the electricity and water (for heating) is renewable, the oil/
petrol for the fishing fleet and the cars is not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 10:16*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
charles wrote

wrote:
[...]

Iceland uses geothermal and hydro, it is just a little difficult to
use it in cars.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Icelanders have never lived on being banksters, it was just a few
people (who all live in the UK now, incidentally) that thought so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 23, 8:07*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
[...]

Iceland is, post crash, one of the richest countries in the world, per
capita.
Nothing Ponzi related at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So pay us the money your ****ing banks owe us, then.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2012 21:46, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el
roups.com, escribió:

Iceland is, post crash, one of the richest countries in the world, per
capita.

So pay us the money your ****ing banks owe us, then.

Why do you think Iceland "owned" any banks? Surely the shareholders did?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Difficult but not perhaps impossible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fireless_locomotive

Just fit a fecking big insulated tank to your steam car and Bob's your
father's brother. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 23, 8:46*pm, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo
roups.com, sigvaldi escribió:

Icelandis, post crash, one of the richest countries in the world, per
capita.

So pay us the money your ****ing banks owe us, then.

The banks (and they are not mine) are paying that back now as we write
this, most of the UK councils have gotten theirs already.
The rest was owed to the UK state, individuals had all been
compensated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote
Mike Tomlinson wrote
wrote

Iceland is, post crash, one of the richest countries in the world, per
capita.

Fantasy.

So pay us the money your ****ing banks owe us, then.

Why do you think Iceland "owned" any banks?

Maybe the tiny matter of who owned them.

Surely the shareholders did?

Not when they are govt banks.

And even if the icelandic shareholders did, given that he
claimed that they are one of the richest countrys in the
world, they should be able to pay what their banks owe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote
Mike Tomlinson wrote
sigvaldi wrote

Iceland is, post crash, one of the richest countries in the world, per
capita.

So pay us the money your ****ing banks owe us, then.

Actually I think they are.

Not even possible.

Our Kent County Councillor, at our annual parish mtg the other day, said
they and Canterbury City Council were expecting to get it all back.

That may be true for them, but it isnt even possible for all depositors.

The banks have been allowed to go bust.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 23, 10:19*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Tim Streater wrote

Mike Tomlinson wrote
sigvaldi wrote
Icelandis, post crash, one of the richest countries in the world, per
capita.
So pay us the money your ****ing banks owe us, then.

Actually I think they are.

Not even possible.

Actually they are.

Our Kent County Councillor, at our annual parish mtg the other day, said
they and Canterbury City Council were expecting to get it all back.

That may be true for them, but it isnt even possible for all depositors.

All depositors have been paid by the UK scheme and the former
Icelandic banks are paying them back.

The banks have been allowed to go bust.

Yes they have but they had a lot of assets that have been allowed to
mature before being sold off at a high price.
Ever heard of a chain of stores called Iceland?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 23, 9:59*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
Fredxx wrote

Mike Tomlinson wrote
wrote
Icelandis, post crash, one of the richest countries in the world, per
capita.

Fantasy.

So pay us the money your ****ing banks owe us, then.

Why do you thinkIceland"owned" any banks?

Maybe the tiny matter of who owned them.

Surely the shareholders did?

Not when they are govt banks.

The fallen banks were private property.

And even if theicelandicshareholders did, given that he
claimed that they are one of the richest countrys in the
world, they should be able to pay what their banks owe.

Yes, that is being done as we write.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/04/2012 22:59, Rod Speed wrote:
Fredxx wrote
Mike Tomlinson wrote
wrote

Iceland is, post crash, one of the richest countries in the world,
per capita.

Fantasy.

So pay us the money your ****ing banks owe us, then.

Why do you think Iceland "owned" any banks?

Maybe the tiny matter of who owned them.

Surely the shareholders did?

Not when they are govt banks.

Perhaps the creditors should take on the shareholders? Why should
anyone else be responsible?

And even if the icelandic shareholders did, given that he
claimed that they are one of the richest countrys in the
world, they should be able to pay what their banks owe.

Why? Why shouldn't you pay, or anyone else?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

sigvaldi wrote
[...]

That is a lie.
https://www.credit-suisse.com/news/d...h_databook.pdf
Table 2.1

Nothing Ponzi related at all.

Another lie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote
[...]

Its actually one of the lowest of the first world countrys
and HALF that of Australia and Switzerland for example.

Nothing Ponzi related at all.

Another lie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sigvaldi wrote
harry wrote
Rod Speed wrote
charles wrote
wrote:
[...]

Another lie. Lots of them did just that in the runnup to the 2008 crash.

it was just a few people (who all live in the UK now, incidentally) that
thought so.

Another lie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

sigvaldi wrote
Rod Speed wrote
charles wrote
wrote:
[...]

What I said.

it is just a little difficult to use it in cars.

No one said anything about cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 23, 11:18*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
sigvaldi wrote

Rod Speed wrote
charles wrote
wrote:
[...]

Ok, to make it clear, all electricity and water for heating is from
renewable sources.
What is not from renewable sources is oil and related products for the
cars, fishing fleet etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.credit-suisse.com/news/d...obal_wealth_da...
Table 2.1

Its actually one of the lowest of the first world countrys
and HALF that of Australia and Switzerland for example.

As one of the 20 highest out of over 200 countries in the report that
reinforces what I wrote.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 23, 11:17*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
sigvaldi wrote

Icelanders have never lived on being banksters,

Another lie. Lots of them did just that in the runnup to the 2008 crash.

No, it was just a small group of people who were able to take
advantage of the situation.
it was just a few people (who all live in the UK now, incidentally) that
thought so.

Another lie.

No, it is the sad truth.
How do you know so much about it, do you live in Iceland or have you
been there?