Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Interesting article about Iceland-UK power interconnect

on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-afoot-to-tap-
icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 5:58*am, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-afoot-to-tap-
icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

This Euroland supergrid looks an ideal target for terrorists.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote
Mike Tomlinson wrote
on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/04/plans-afoot-to-tap-icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

This Euroland supergrid looks an ideal target for terrorists.

Too hard to **** enough of it to matter.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-afoot-to-tap-
icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

Interesting that Iceland don't get ALL their own energy from geothermal
sources yet and yet they're hoping to export buckets of it.

Not saying that it's not there for the taking but it just seems odd that
they're not using 100% renewable power already.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote
Mike Tomlinson wrote

on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/04/plans-afoot-to-tap-icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

Interesting that Iceland don't get ALL their own energy from geothermal
sources yet and yet they're hoping to export buckets of it.

Not saying that it's not there for the taking but it just seems
odd that they're not using 100% renewable power already.

Its basically because there is other cheaper power, most obviously with
hydro.

Geothermal does have other advantages for them tho, most obviously
with heating their houses in winter etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Tim wrote
Mike Tomlinson wrote

on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/04/plans-afoot-to-tap-icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

Interesting that Iceland don't get ALL their own energy from geothermal
sources yet and yet they're hoping to export buckets of it.

Not saying that it's not there for the taking but it just seems
odd that they're not using 100% renewable power already.

Its basically because there is other cheaper power, most obviously with
hydro.

Geothermal does have other advantages for them tho, most obviously
with heating their houses in winter etc.

And it supplies a lot of their "normal" hot water needs.

In some places they don't even put it through a heat exchanger and it comes
directly out of the taps smelling of Sulphur - flipping terrible it is!

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Rod Speed
wrote:
Tim wrote
Mike Tomlinson wrote

on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2012/04/plans-afoot-to-tap-icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a
while back.)

Interesting that Iceland don't get ALL their own energy from geothermal
sources yet and yet they're hoping to export buckets of it.

Not saying that it's not there for the taking but it just seems odd
that they're not using 100% renewable power already.

Its basically because there is other cheaper power, most obviously with
hydro.

Geothermal does have other advantages for them tho, most obviously with
heating their houses in winter etc.

you aren't suggesting hot water pipes from Iceland to here are you?

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote
wrote:
[...]

Nope, just commenting on why they don’t use just geothermal
and why, when hydro is cheaper, they don’t have more hydro.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 11:16*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
charles wrote

wrote:
[...]

and why, when hydro is cheaper, they don’t have more hydro.- Hide quoted text -

I think a massive new hydro scheme has recently been completed.
Now they have discovered they can't live on being banksters.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%A1...dropower_Plant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 10:16*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
charles wrote

wrote:
[...]

Iceland uses geothermal and hydro, it is just a little difficult to
use it in cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , charles
escribió:

you aren't suggesting hot water pipes from Iceland to here are you?

Wouldn't surprise me. He really is that dim.

Rod Speed FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/883xp7v

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , charles
escribió:

you aren't suggesting hot water pipes from Iceland to here are you?

Wouldn't surprise me. He really is that dim.

Rod Speed FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/883xp7v

Dimmer than an old CFL?

And thanks for the Iceland link.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 7:20*am, Tim wrote:
Mike Tomlinson wrote:
on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-afoot-to-tap-
icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

Interesting thatIcelanddon't get ALL their own energy from geothermal
sources yet and yet they're hoping to export buckets of it.

Not saying that it's not there for the taking but it just seems odd that
they're not using 100% renewable power already.

Tim

All the electricity and water (for heating) is renewable, the oil/
petrol for the fishing fleet and the cars is not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-afoot-to-tap-
icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

Interesting that there are a lot of proposed solar concentrators down in the
Gulf oil states.
A sweetener to compensate for reduced oil revenue?

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message

on Ars Technica:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-afoot-to-tap-
icelands-geothermal-energy-with-745-mile-cable.ars

http://tinyurl.com/7s84abm

(this is related to an article in the Grauniad that I linked to a while
back.)

I don't understand why they aren't routing it via the Faeroes to link up
with what seems an obvious place for (yet more) offshore [1] wind farms, and
(once we have the technology cost effective) tidal and/or wave power.

Splitting it into two might also make it more robust, and extendable

Otherwise I think this is a damned good idea, but obviously I have no idea
of the cost effectiveness.

tim

[1] Yes, I know that members of this group think that this is dumb, but TPTB
don't