Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Black & Decker workmates

Hi all,

I'm replacing my no-name workbench as it's collapsed under the weight
of the last job (under the weight of my leg trying to hold it still
really). The Black and Decker workmates seem the natural choice but
there's several models (http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/powertools/
productoverview/hierarchy/2259/) and I'm wondering if anyone can
explain how they differ in practice.

The WM301 is out because I want something a bit sturdier but I'm not
sure how the WM536, WM550, WM626 or WM825 compare with each other.
The 825 obviously has the most features (3 vice positions, one handed
operation) but how important are they? I read somewhere (can't find it
now) that the 825 is much heavier than the others. Are the extra
features worth this extra weight? Is the weight maybe even a good
thing?

Opinions please

Thanks.

Alex
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have an old heavy steel one. Its now in several different colours having
used it to hold stuff to paint when I could see!

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"alamaison" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-04-08, alamaison wrote:

The WM301 is out because I want something a bit sturdier

That's good then. Parents-in-law wanted to buy me a
nice present when wife and I moved into a new house,
and there was work to be done, so I said a work-mate,
and they bought me a 301. While it's been useful, it's
not been as useful as a 'real' one.

but I'm not
sure how the WM536, WM550, WM626 or WM825 compare with each other.
The 825 obviously has the most features (3 vice positions, one handed
operation) but how important are they? I read somewhere (can't find it
now) that the 825 is much heavier than the others. Are the extra
features worth this extra weight? Is the weight maybe even a good
thing?

When I worked for a guy had one, many, many years ago,
it was closest in appearance to the 825, and while
heavy, once the clips were released it could be set up
one-handed - which was useful on occasion.

If I were buying one now, it'd either be the 825 or...
no, it would be the 825, the others look too flimsy.
According to Google, you can pick one up for 62 quid
ex-delivery, absolute bargain for how useful they are.

Justin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"alamaison" wrote in message
Hi all,

I'm replacing my no-name workbench as it's collapsed under the weight
of the last job (under the weight of my leg trying to hold it still
really). The Black and Decker workmates seem the natural choice but
there's several models (http://www.blackanddecker.co.uk/powertools/
productoverview/hierarchy/2259/) and I'm wondering if anyone can
explain how they differ in practice.

The WM301 is out because I want something a bit sturdier but I'm not
sure how the WM536, WM550, WM626 or WM825 compare with each other.
The 825 obviously has the most features (3 vice positions, one handed
operation) but how important are they? I read somewhere (can't find it
now) that the 825 is much heavier than the others. Are the extra
features worth this extra weight? Is the weight maybe even a good
thing?

Not sure of the number of mine but it is a mid range 5something.
Now on my second one, after first got generally battered by constant use.
What I have found is that the top/jaws (made of some kind of wood composite)
on both have warped in time so if there is a top of the range with real wood
then this might be better.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
David WE Roberts wrote:
What I have found is that the top/jaws (made of some kind of wood
composite) on both have warped in time so if there is a top of the
range with real wood then this might be better.

My ancient mostly cast aluminium one has plywood jaws. Which are still
fine despite it having been left outside for lengthy periods.

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

My ancient mostly cast aluminium one has plywood jaws.

Mine too, but the jaws are well past their best. Does anyone know if the
modern equivalents can be fitted to such an early frame? I supose the
alternative would be to make new ones from scratch, which actually probably
wouldn't be all that tricky.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 8 Apr 2012 11:24:13 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Not sure of the number of mine but it is a mid range 5something.

Reading this thread got me having at look at mine and it's a WM525
Type 5 apparently. It looks like the one at the back he

http://www.ktproductions.co.uk/woodw...k/DSC_0078.JPG

I used to really look after it (nip it inside if it started raining)
but it ended up getting left outside under a cover (which fell to bits
over time) and so now it's look a bit scruffy. ;-(

I've kept it lubed up and running though and still works perfectly,
unlike a much newer copy I picked up on Freecycle (so that one stays
outside now). ;-)

The WM525 isn't what you would call light and once planted seems to
sit there pretty well.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 17:41:16 -0700 (PDT), alamaison
wrote:

[...]

I've still got my WM700, which is now about 25 years old. Two leg
springs have broken, but apart from that it seems as sturdy as when
new. I still use it frequently. Probably wouldn't pass elfnsafety
today what with all the sharp edges. I slit open a new pair of jeans
on one of the corners recently when I walked past it when it was
folded up resting against the wall. A few millimetres closer and it
would have been my leg ripped open and me down at the A&E.

Wonderful tool, though.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

wrote:

[...]

I would certainly go for a sturdier model.
I have an old one about 35 years old and still going strong, its been
misused over the years but still perfectly useable. By comparison I also
have my F-I-Laws workbench looks like the cheapo 301 and although handy
as it is lighter in weight it is certainly not of the same quality or
accuracy of my old one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alamaison :
[...]

If you want something *sturdy* try to find a second-hand B&D Workmate
Professional 2000. Mine's been going for probably 25 years and seems
indestructible.

e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220993199689

(that example seems to be missing the third (loose) bench part)

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

[...]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolfcraft-...-/190661822894

looks like a bargain for anyone living near Stockton on Tees.

--
Sam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 9 Apr 2012 16:36:49 +0100, Sam Plusnet wrote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wolfcraft-...-/190661822894

"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer
available."

Appears eBay have broken their website again as if I enter the number
in the search box I get the item (pity it ended at 1700, I was still
working then...).

looks like a bargain for anyone living near Stockton on Tees.

Not a million miles away... hence looking.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the advice. One (hopefully sturdy) WM825 on it's way.

Alex