Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The next door neighbours hand brake has failed AGAIN

It's a good job my van was parked there.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
It's a good job my van was parked there.

Video will be available later.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:
It's a good job my van was parked there.

Video will be available later.

--
Adam

I has to see it now!!!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
It's a good job my van was parked there.

Video will be available later.

--
Adam

I has to see it now!!!!!!

You will have to wait. The only thing that is slower than uploading to
YouTube is dennis.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 6, 6:00*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
It's a good job my van was parked there.

--
Adam

I always leave my car in gear as well as hand brake.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Apr 6, 6:00 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
It's a good job my van was parked there.

--
Adam

I always leave my car in gear as well as hand brake.

I don't have a choice. Its an auto :-)

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 6, 6:41*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
harry wrote:
On Apr 6, 6:00 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
It's a good job my van was parked there.

--
Adam

I always leave my car in gear as well as hand brake.

I don't have a choice. Its an auto :-)

Still has a park postion that locks the transmission.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Apr 6, 6:41 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
harry wrote:
On Apr 6, 6:00 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
It's a good job my van was parked there.
--
Adam
I always leave my car in gear as well as hand brake.

I don't have a choice. Its an auto :-)

Still has a park postion that locks the transmission.

That's what I said. harry.

I think you should go back to bed and try again tomorrow.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:
On Apr 6, 6:00 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
It's a good job my van was parked there.

--
Adam

I always leave my car in gear as well as hand brake.

I don't have a choice. Its an auto :-)

I have an auto and a choice. I.e. it rolls downhill unless the handbrake
is applied.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Shew wrote:
harry wrote:
On Apr 6, 6:00 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
It's a good job my van was parked there.

--
Adam

I always leave my car in gear as well as hand brake.

I don't have a choice. Its an auto :-)

I have an auto and a choice. I.e. it rolls downhill unless the handbrake
is applied.

Not if its in park

and it wont start if it aint

Pete

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

On Apr 6, 6:00 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
It's a good job my van was parked there.

--
Adam

I always leave my car in gear as well as hand brake.

Brake, gear and curbed. Top that for paranoid -and no, I don't live in
SanFran!

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do humans have to have handbrakes fitted now then?

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
It's a good job my van was parked there.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Do humans have to have handbrakes fitted now then?

Have done for a long time now. Thats what the lead things
that people used to attach to their kids in the past are for.

It's a good job my van was parked there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
It's a good job my van was parked there.

Video will be available later.

--
Adam

I has to see it now!!!!!!

You will have to wait. The only thing that is slower than uploading to
YouTube is dennis.

--
Adam

Where's this ****ing video??!!!!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mr Pounder wrote:

Where's this ****ing video??!!!!!!!

If you're so desperate, I suggest you stay at home all weekend
refreshing this page waiting for it ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/adamko2020/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:

Where's this ****ing video??!!!!!!!

If you're so desperate, I suggest you stay at home all weekend
refreshing this page waiting for it ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/adamko2020/

I am trying upload it. But computer no 2 says no.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:

Where's this ****ing video??!!!!!!!

If you're so desperate, I suggest you stay at home all weekend
refreshing this page waiting for it ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/adamko2020/

I am trying upload it. But computer no 2 says no.

--
Adam

More bloody repeats!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Mr Pounder wrote:

Where's this ****ing video??!!!!!!!

If you're so desperate, I suggest you stay at home all weekend
refreshing this page waiting for it ...

http://www.youtube.com/user/adamko2020/

I am trying upload it. But computer no 2 says no.

--
Adam

More bloody repeats!

YouTube says 5 minutes to upload the contents. Thats 4 more minutes than I
give:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygXP-...ature=youtu.be

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygXP-...ature=youtu.be

Have you ever considered parking your van uphill from the neighbours?

I hate parking on hills. I bumped into my tenant's car this
afternoon trying to reverse uphill - up a hill where I needed
to use both pedels together to avoid rolling downhill.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
Owain wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygXP-...ature=youtu.be

Have you ever considered parking your van uphill from the neighbours?

I hate parking on hills. I bumped into my tenant's car this
afternoon trying to reverse uphill - up a hill where I needed
to use both pedels together to avoid rolling downhill.

Thats why using the handbrake in that situation works much better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
I hate parking on hills. I bumped into my tenant's car this
afternoon trying to reverse uphill - up a hill where I needed
to use both pedels together to avoid rolling downhill.

Thats why using the handbrake in that situation works much better.

When setting off? I'll try that next time. I learned and passed in
a manual, I can do up and down hill starts so much easier in a
manual. It's hard to bite the clutch in an automatic.

Plus in this case the front wheels were on a sticking-out kerb,
so I was trying to avoid running downhill (forwards) under the
car's weight, and also prevent the car suddenly leaping uphill
(backwards) as it dropped off the kerb. That's the bit I didn't
quite manage.

You see the hill in Adam's videos? That, but steeper. I live
in Sheffield. Adam lives somewhere flat.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I hate parking on hills. I bumped into my tenant's car this
afternoon trying to reverse uphill - up a hill where I needed
to use both pedels together to avoid rolling downhill.

Thats why using the handbrake in that situation works much better.

When setting off?

Yep.

I'll try that next time.

Best to try it on a decent slope with nothing to run into intil you get the hang of it.

I learned and passed in a manual,

Me too, and I still have a manual even now.

I can do up and down hill starts so much easier in a
manual. It's hard to bite the clutch in an automatic.

Its actually easier to use the handbrake in an automatic, essentially
because the accelerator and brake are done with different extremitys.

Plus in this case the front wheels were on a sticking-out kerb,
so I was trying to avoid running downhill (forwards) under the
car's weight, and also prevent the car suddenly leaping uphill
(backwards) as it dropped off the kerb. That's the bit I didn't
quite manage.

Yeah, it can take a bit of coordination.

You see the hill in Adam's videos?

Yep.

That, but steeper.

Yeah, I wouldnt do anything special on Adam's hill.

I live in Sheffield. Adam lives somewhere flat.

I do now, but havent always done. And even here,
some places where I need to park are much steeper
than Adam's hill and I usually do need to park with lots
of others around, with the garage/yard sales particularly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 8, 12:26*am, jgharston wrote:
Owain wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygXP-...ature=youtu.be

Have you ever considered parking your van uphill from the neighbours?

I hate parking on hills. I bumped into my tenant's car this
afternoon trying to reverse uphill - up a hill where I needed
to use both pedels together to avoid rolling downhill.

JGH

You need to learn to heel and toe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel-and-toe
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Apr 7, 7:48 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygXP-...ature=youtu.be

Have you ever considered parking your van uphill from the neighbours?

Are you suggesting I buy the house above them?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote
jgharston wrote
Owain wrote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygXP-...ature=youtu.be
Have you ever considered parking your van uphill from the neighbours?

I hate parking on hills. I bumped into my tenant's car this
afternoon trying to reverse uphill - up a hill where I needed
to use both pedels together to avoid rolling downhill.

You need to learn to heel and toe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel-and-toe

Using the handbrake works a lot better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:

Owain wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygXP-...ature=youtu.be

Have you ever considered parking your van uphill from the neighbours?

I hate parking on hills. I bumped into my tenant's car this
afternoon trying to reverse uphill - up a hill where I needed
to use both pedels together to avoid rolling downhill.

JGH

Try curbing the car when parking?

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
Try curbing the car when parking?

Parking's not the problem. It's setting off and the fraction
of a second when my right foot is on neither brake or
accelerator when trying to reverse within the parking space
to get enough leeway to drive out of it. Hence using my
left foot on the brake while gently bringing on the
accelleration to hold the vehicle once I remove my foot from
the brake, but also being ready to immediately reverse the
action (brake on, gas off) when the car frees itself from
the kerb and is on the point of shooting up the hill into
the car behind me.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Apr 7, 7:48 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygXP-...ature=youtu.be

Have you ever considered parking your van uphill from the neighbours?

To be fair to Paul, when he moved in next door I asked him if he could park
his car close to the van so that anyone breaking in to the van could not
open the back doors of the van:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 01:20:27 -0700, jgharston wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
Try curbing the car when parking?

Parking's not the problem. It's setting off and the fraction of a second
when my right foot is on neither brake or accelerator when trying to
reverse within the parking space to get enough leeway to drive out of
it. Hence using my left foot on the brake while gently bringing on the
accelleration to hold the vehicle once I remove my foot from the brake,
but also being ready to immediately reverse the action (brake on, gas
off) when the car frees itself from the kerb and is on the point of
shooting up the hill into the car behind me.

That's what the handbrake is for!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
jgharston writes
Rod Speed wrote:
I hate parking on hills. I bumped into my tenant's car this
afternoon trying to reverse uphill - up a hill where I needed
to use both pedels together to avoid rolling downhill.

Thats why using the handbrake in that situation works much better.

When setting off? I'll try that next time. I learned and passed in
a manual, I can do up and down hill starts so much easier in a
manual. It's hard to bite the clutch in an automatic.

But its' much easier to do hill starts.
Snip.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Pete
Shew writes
Pete Shew wrote:
harry wrote:
On Apr 6, 6:00 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
It's a good job my van was parked there.

--
Adam

I always leave my car in gear as well as hand brake.

I don't have a choice. Its an auto :-)

I have an auto and a choice. I.e. it rolls downhill unless the
handbrake is applied.

Not if its in park

and it wont start if it aint

Pete

My automatic doesn't have a park. It does need to be in neutral to
start but that doesn't stop it rolling.

It's automatic in the sense that it has a 'go' pedal and a 'stop' pedal
and no clutch pedal and I don't need to waggle a lever in a bucket of
cogs and yes, it is powered by an internal combustion engine.

Pete

Ah you have a DAF or DAF transmission derivative such as a Honda
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Apr 8, 9:44 am, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
Have you ever considered parking your van uphill from the
neighbours?

To be fair to Paul, when he moved in next door I asked him if he
could park his car close to the van so that anyone breaking in to
the van could not open the back doors of the van:-)

yes, but it would be fun to see what happens when your van isn't
acting as a safety barrier :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnpKt...8&feature=plcp

Wait for the 3 minute mark to hear it smash through the wall

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 8, 8:45*am, "Rod Speed" wrote:
harry wrote

jgharston wrote
Owain wrote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygXP-...ature=youtu.be
Have you ever considered parking your van uphill from the neighbours?
I hate parking on hills. I bumped into my tenant's car this
afternoon trying to reverse uphill - up a hill where I needed
to use both pedels together to avoid rolling downhill.

You need to learn to heel and toe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel-and-toe

Using the handbrake works a lot better.

I have had a few vehicals with poor handbrakes. Mostly with rear disk
only brakes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/04/2012 15:31, ARWadsworth wrote:
Owain wrote:
On Apr 8, 9:44 am, "ARWadsworth" wrote:
Have you ever considered parking your van uphill from the
neighbours?
To be fair to Paul, when he moved in next door I asked him if he
could park his car close to the van so that anyone breaking in to
the van could not open the back doors of the van:-)

yes, but it would be fun to see what happens when your van isn't
acting as a safety barrier :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnpKt...8&feature=plcp

Wait for the 3 minute mark to hear it smash through the wall

They seem to have a lot of trouble with handbrakes in your road, The
mini one was funny, just missed the bus

TGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote
Rod Speed wrote
harry wrote
jgharston wrote
Owain wrote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygXP-...ature=youtu.be

Have you ever considered parking your van uphill from the neighbours?

I hate parking on hills. I bumped into my tenant's car this
afternoon trying to reverse uphill - up a hill where I needed
to use both pedels together to avoid rolling downhill.

You need to learn to heel and toe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel-and-toe

Using the handbrake works a lot better.

I have had a few vehicals with poor handbrakes. Mostly with rear disk only brakes.

Sure, but it isnt that common with modern cars.

My current one sort of squats if you try to drive off with the handbrake on.

And it usually isnt that hard to fix a poor handbrake with all but the dinosaurs/wrecks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
My current one sort of squats if you try to drive off with the handbrake on.

A couple of times I've set off down the hill with the handbrake on
only thinking "hmmm, car's a bit sluggish". That's how steep the
hill is. (1997 Rover 618)

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote
Rod Speed wrote

My current one sort of squats if you try to drive off with the handbrake on.

A couple of times I've set off down the hill with the handbrake on
only thinking "hmmm, car's a bit sluggish". That's how steep the
hill is. (1997 Rover 618)

Yeah, on further thought, one of the turk kids I set the internet up for
showed up at my place in a panic to get me to have a look at the car
he had borrowed, because it smelt like it was about to catch fire.

Turned out that he had been driving around with the handbrake on
and the back wheels were absolutely stinking hot, which was where
the stench was coming from.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 8, 9:31*pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:
harry wrote

Rod Speed wrote
harry wrote
jgharston wrote
Owain wrote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygXP-...ature=youtu.be
Have you ever considered parking your van uphill from the neighbours?
I hate parking on hills. I bumped into my tenant's car this
afternoon trying to reverse uphill - up a hill where I needed
to use both pedels together to avoid rolling downhill.
You need to learn to heel and toe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel-and-toe
Using the handbrake works a lot better.

I have had a few vehicals with poor handbrakes. Mostly with rear disk only brakes.

Sure, but it isnt that common with modern cars.

You are a thick bugger aren't you? Does itrun inthe family?