Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The next door neighbours hand brake has failed AGAIN

On 08/04/2012 14:17, hugh wrote:
In message , Pete
Shew writes
Pete Shew wrote:
harry wrote:
On Apr 6, 6:00 pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
It's a good job my van was parked there.

--
Adam

I always leave my car in gear as well as hand brake.

I don't have a choice. Its an auto :-)

I have an auto and a choice. I.e. it rolls downhill unless the
handbrake is applied.

Not if its in park

and it wont start if it aint

Pete

My automatic doesn't have a park. It does need to be in neutral to
start but that doesn't stop it rolling.

It's automatic in the sense that it has a 'go' pedal and a 'stop'
pedal and no clutch pedal and I don't need to waggle a lever in a
bucket of cogs and yes, it is powered by an internal combustion engine.

Pete

Ah you have a DAF or DAF transmission derivative such as a Honda

No, I have a Smart. Fly by wire. It has a real gearbox and clutch but
the computer and servos do all the stuff including interpreting the
accelerator pedal and applying the throttle setting. I drove a Mercedes
Sprint with the same system a few years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2012 14:47, Pete Shew wrote:

My automatic doesn't have a park. It does need to be in neutral to start
but that doesn't stop it rolling.

It's automatic in the sense that it has a 'go' pedal and a 'stop' pedal
and no clutch pedal and I don't need to waggle a lever in a bucket of
cogs and yes, it is powered by an internal combustion engine.

It's a forklift truck....

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Pete
Shew writes
Pete

Ah you have a DAF or DAF transmission derivative such as a Honda

No, I have a Smart. Fly by wire. It has a real gearbox and clutch but
the computer and servos do all the stuff including interpreting the
accelerator pedal and applying the throttle setting. I drove a Mercedes
Sprint with the same system a few years ago.

After an AA flat battery re-start, the engineer (or do we still call
them *patrol men*?) asked me to sit in the car and rev the engine to a
constant 2000 rpm.

I found this virtually impossible due to the fly by wire nature of the
accelerator. Ford Fiesta 1600 common rail diesel. I also discovered the
engine is a joint design by Peugeot!

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 14:00:27 +0100, Owain
wrote:

On Apr 9, 10:52 am, Adrian C wrote:
It's automatic in the sense that it has a 'go' pedal and a 'stop'

pedal
and no clutch pedal and I don't need to waggle a lever in a bucket of
cogs and yes, it is powered by an internal combustion engine.

It's a forklift truck....

You're just envious because you really want a forklift but had to have
a Mondeo instead...

Owain

not so different - shurely?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Pete
Shew writes
Pete
Ah you have a DAF or DAF transmission derivative such as a Honda

No, I have a Smart. Fly by wire. It has a real gearbox and clutch but
the computer and servos do all the stuff including interpreting the
accelerator pedal and applying the throttle setting. I drove a
Mercedes Sprint with the same system a few years ago.

After an AA flat battery re-start, the engineer (or do we still call
them *patrol men*?) asked me to sit in the car and rev the engine to a
constant 2000 rpm.

Do that in a DAf and you'll roar off down the road at 40 mph.
I found this virtually impossible due to the fly by wire nature of the
accelerator. Ford Fiesta 1600 common rail diesel. I also discovered the
engine is a joint design by Peugeot!

regards

--
hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

hugh wrote:

writes:

After an AA flat battery re-start, the engineer (or do we still call
them *patrol men*?) asked me to sit in the car and rev the engine to a
constant 2000 rpm.

Do that in a DAf and you'll roar off down the road at 40 mph.

Backwards?

http://youtu.be/S7ipFApsFec

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim
Streater writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , Pete
Shew writes
Pete
Ah you have a DAF or DAF transmission derivative such as a Honda

No, I have a Smart. Fly by wire. It has a real gearbox and clutch
but the computer and servos do all the stuff including interpreting
the accelerator pedal and applying the throttle setting. I drove a
Mercedes Sprint with the same system a few years ago.

After an AA flat battery re-start, the engineer (or do we still call
them *patrol men*?) asked me to sit in the car and rev the engine to a
constant 2000 rpm.
I found this virtually impossible due to the fly by wire nature of
the accelerator. Ford Fiesta 1600 common rail diesel. I also
discovered the engine is a joint design by Peugeot!

Errm, I think he meant *in neutral*. And don't say you haven't gor
neutral cos I have, even in this semi-auto clutchless C4.

But not in a DAF you haven't.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater writes:
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

The DAF 66 my mum had didn't have a neutral. There was a little gap
between forward and reverse, but the gear lever had nothing to keep
it there. That was one of the first things Volvo changed when they
took it over (as the Volvo 66) - they added a neutral, and the gear
had to be in neutral to start the car.

--
Andrew Gabriel