Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Very small quantity of sand and cement needed

Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

If anyone else is doing any building work nearby, you could take a
bucket and a few cups of tea and some biscuits and ask for a shovelful.

It usually works for me...

especially if I haven't already piled heaps of abuse on them for parking
the van across my driveway so I can't get out!

dedics
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 15:09:49 +0100
dedics wrote:

If anyone else is doing any building work nearby, you could take a
bucket and a few cups of tea and some biscuits and ask for a
shovelful.

Time it right towards the end of the afternoon and you might even get
some ready mixed from the left overs.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

B&Q.

£3:48 for a 5 kilo ready mixed bag.

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/buildin...r-5Kg-11867932

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

B&Q.

£3:48 for a 5 kilo ready mixed bag.

http://www.diy.com/nav/build/buildin...r-5Kg-11867932

+1
See if you can find one where the packaging isn't split. Not easy with
the 25kg size

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 15:34:30 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

B&Q.

£3:48 for a 5 kilo ready mixed bag.

I need only about 1/2 kilo. About as much as a small bag of sugar.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

B&Q.

£3:48 for a 5 kilo ready mixed bag.

I need only about 1/2 kilo. About as much as a small bag of sugar.

MM

you have no idea really?

1/2 a kilo will make about a fistful of mortar - IOW enough to do bugger
all with- whatever's changed under your paving slab, one fistful of mortar
is going to make F all difference..

spend the 3.50 FFS

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM
B&Q.

£3:48 for a 5 kilo ready mixed bag.

I need only about 1/2 kilo. About as much as a small bag of sugar.

MM

you have no idea really?

1/2 a kilo will make about a fistful of mortar - IOW enough to do bugger
all with- whatever's changed under your paving slab, one fistful of mortar
is going to make F all difference..

spend the 3.50 FFS

Jim K

One fistful is all I need, seriously. The gap is only 5mm, if that. At
the moment I am stopping the slab wobbling when I tread on it with a
very small wooden wedge.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement,
just enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm
proud in one corner?

MM
B&Q.

£3:48 for a 5 kilo ready mixed bag.

I need only about 1/2 kilo. About as much as a small bag of sugar.

MM

you have no idea really?

1/2 a kilo will make about a fistful of mortar - IOW enough to do
bugger all with- whatever's changed under your paving slab, one
fistful of mortar is going to make F all difference..

spend the 3.50 FFS

Jim K

One fistful is all I need, seriously. The gap is only 5mm, if that.

I knew you would make good use of the KY jelly you found.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM
B&Q.

£3:48 for a 5 kilo ready mixed bag.

I need only about 1/2 kilo. About as much as a small bag of sugar.

MM

you have no idea really?

1/2 a kilo will make about a fistful of mortar - IOW enough to do bugger
all with- whatever's changed under your paving slab, one fistful of
mortar is going to make F all difference..

spend the 3.50 FFS

Jim K

I'm tempted to post him a handful....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway Handyman
writes

wrote:

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM
B&Q.

£3:48 for a 5 kilo ready mixed bag.

I need only about 1/2 kilo. About as much as a small bag of sugar.

MM

you have no idea really?

1/2 a kilo will make about a fistful of mortar - IOW enough to do bugger
all with- whatever's changed under your paving slab, one fistful of
mortar is going to make F all difference..

spend the 3.50 FFS

Jim K

I'm tempted to post him a handful....

Does MM subscribe to Fenland Freegle? There's someone, also in Spalding,
trying to give away 20 tons of sand at the moment - you could ask him
for a cupful. He says he's prepared to load it.
--
Nick (=----)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM
B&Q.

£3:48 for a 5 kilo ready mixed bag.

I need only about 1/2 kilo. About as much as a small bag of sugar.

MM

you have no idea really?

1/2 a kilo will make about a fistful of mortar - IOW enough to do bugger
all with- whatever's changed under your paving slab, one fistful of mortar
is going to make F all difference..

spend the 3.50 FFS

Jim K

Someone that tight must have Scottish blood, use some porridge from
the kitchen cupboard instead. Made with milk it sets fairly hard.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

Most of the sheds sell small bags of mortar mix - to which you just need
to add water.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 16:00:34 +0100, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

Most of the sheds sell small bags of mortar mix - to which you just need
to add water.

They appear to be around 25kg, which is about 24½kg more than I need.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

Most of the sheds sell small bags of mortar mix - to which you just need
to add water.

They appear to be around 25kg, which is about 24½kg more than I need.

MM

If you really don't want to throw much away, you can spend £2 more than the £3.48 5Kg bag on a 1.25Kg bag of pointing repair mix at B&Q.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement,
just enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm
proud in one corner?

MM

Most of the sheds sell small bags of mortar mix - to which you
just need to add water.

They appear to be around 25kg, which is about 24½kg more than I
need.

MM

If you really don't want to throw much away, you can spend £2 more
than the £3.48 5Kg bag on a 1.25Kg bag of pointing repair mix at B&Q.

Defribrillator needed ASAP.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

Most of the sheds sell small bags of mortar mix - to which you just need
to add water.

They appear to be around 25kg, which is about 24½kg more than I need.

MM

If you really don't want to throw much away, you can spend £2 more than the £3.48 5Kg bag on a 1.25Kg bag of pointing repair mix at B&Q.

John

I am NOT going to buy more than I need, then throw the rest away!

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

Most of the sheds sell small bags of mortar mix - to which you just need
to add water.

They appear to be around 25kg, which is about 24½kg more than I need.

MM

If you really don't want to throw much away, you can spend £2 more than the £3.48 5Kg bag on a 1.25Kg bag of pointing repair mix at B&Q.

John

I am NOT going to buy more than I need, then throw the rest away!

So _there_!

(fx) Stamps foot /fx :-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

Most of the sheds sell small bags of mortar mix - to which you just need
to add water.

They appear to be around 25kg, which is about 24½kg more than I need.

Try a smaller shop. I saw bags today of 5Kg and 10Kg. And you probably need
more than you think.

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 19:51:21 +0100, "BartC" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On 06/04/2012 14:53, MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

Most of the sheds sell small bags of mortar mix - to which you just need
to add water.

They appear to be around 25kg, which is about 24½kg more than I need.

Try a smaller shop. I saw bags today of 5Kg and 10Kg. And you probably need
more than you think.

I don't need more than I think. I've done this sort of thing several
times over the years. This time it's a slab I bought to raise the step
out of the back door a tad. The slab is 59cm x 29cm and is proud by
5mm in one corner that needs to be packed out with a VERY small amount
of sand/cement mix.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 19:51:21 +0100, "BartC" wrote:

Try a smaller shop. I saw bags today of 5Kg and 10Kg. And you probably
need
more than you think.

I don't need more than I think. I've done this sort of thing several
times over the years.

In that case, the 5Kg you'd bought several years back would have got good
use!

This time it's a slab I bought to raise the step
out of the back door a tad. The slab is 59cm x 29cm and is proud by
5mm in one corner that needs to be packed out with a VERY small amount
of sand/cement mix.

If it's 'proud', then shouldn't you be taking away material, not adding it?
In any case I would just have used a handful of earth, or sand if there's
any about.

--
Bartc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

Buy a bag at a garden centre.
Leave the rest round in a pile over a landmine
Watch neighbours cat become several astronauts!
Simples!

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

If you are thinking of laying a less than 5mm skin of sand and cement
mix over a laid floor it probably wont stick, different stuff is needed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2012 08:20, F Murtz wrote:
MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

If you are thinking of laying a less than 5mm skin of sand and cement
mix over a laid floor it probably wont stick, different stuff is needed.

I keep a 25kg bag of multi purpose in stock at all times. Indoors too.
Gets on SWMBO's nerves of course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in
one corner?

MM

If you are thinking of laying a less than 5mm skin of sand and
cement mix over a laid floor it probably wont stick, different
stuff is needed.

I keep a 25kg bag of multi purpose in stock at all times. Indoors too.
Gets on SWMBO's nerves of course.

The gf still complains about the cement mixer that I keep in the lounge when
it's not on loan.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 7 Apr 2012 08:51:31 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

The gf still complains about the cement mixer that I keep in the lounge

"Adam's invited us round for a mixer, darling."
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 17:20:39 +1000, F Murtz
wrote:

MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

If you are thinking of laying a less than 5mm skin of sand and cement
mix over a laid floor it probably wont stick, different stuff is needed.

No, the slab (59cm x 29cm) is resting on the actual concrete path
outside the back door and is simply there to raise the step slightly.
The slab rocks very slightly when I tread on it because there's a 5mm
gap in one corner. At present I have whacked a very small wooden wedge
under the corner and the slab is now perfectly firm. But the wedge
will dislodge over time, which is why I want a more permanent solution
with said sand/cement mix. About 1/2kg of it should suffice.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

If you are thinking of laying a less than 5mm skin of sand and cement
mix over a laid floor it probably wont stick, different stuff is needed.

No, the slab (59cm x 29cm) is resting on the actual concrete path
outside the back door and is simply there to raise the step slightly.
The slab rocks very slightly when I tread on it because there's a 5mm
gap in one corner. At present I have whacked a very small wooden wedge
under the corner and the slab is now perfectly firm. But the wedge
will dislodge over time, which is why I want a more permanent solution
with said sand/cement mix. About 1/2kg of it should suffice.

MM

Gripfill the bugger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

MM wrote:
Where can I obtain a very small quantity of sand and cement, just
enough to level a single patio slab, which is about 5mm proud in one
corner?

MM

If you are thinking of laying a less than 5mm skin of sand and cement
mix over a laid floor it probably wont stick, different stuff is needed.

No, the slab (59cm x 29cm) is resting on the actual concrete path
outside the back door and is simply there to raise the step slightly.
The slab rocks very slightly when I tread on it because there's a 5mm
gap in one corner. At present I have whacked a very small wooden wedge
under the corner and the slab is now perfectly firm. But the wedge
will dislodge over time, which is why I want a more permanent solution
with said sand/cement mix. About 1/2kg of it should suffice.

MM

But nobody sells 1/2 kg, so buy the 5kg size and keep the rest in the
dry somewhere for the next time you need 1/2 kg. It won't go bad
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Very small quantity of sand

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Very small quantity of sand

Pinch it from the beach.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Very small quantity of sand

Pinch it from the beach.

I was going to suggest the local kid's playground

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 January 2018 11:52:15 UTC, FMurtz wrote:
wrote:
Very small quantity of sand

Pinch it from the beach.

I thought that was legal

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2018 11:52, FMurtz wrote:
wrote:
Very small quantity of sand

Pinch it from the beach.

Not every country has more than 8 out of 10 people within 50km of a
beach If the OP's really in Ranchi it could be a long round trip.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Very small quantity of sand

Pinch it from the beach.

Not every country has more than 8 out of 10 people within 50km of a
beach If the OP's really in Ranchi it could be a long round trip.

Is there a problem with salt?

Ask the builders of Eilean Donan Castle.

(The answer's "yes", BTW. It was built using beach sand.)

Should have used Roman concrete.

https://www.nature.com/news/seawater...ncrete-1.22231

Can't think why it's not bagged and on sale in Wickes by now

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I don't recall seeing many bags of cement at the beach.
Can you not still get those little bags of ready missed from the sheds any
more?
Brian

--
----- -