Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default u-channel wanted -- small quantity

I want ptototype quantities of a 1" x 1/2" x 1/8" hot rolled u-
channel. One piece of any length is enough but I'm willing to meet a
$50 minimum. The two local places I emailed (New York City) aren't
getting back to me. I either want reasonable shipping costs (about
$10), or to pick it up myself and for them to cut it, or I want place
for me to lay it down and make two cuts with a hack saw (a parking lot
or sidewalk where I could get away with it is fine).

I haven't had much luck finding reasonable prices on the internet.
Either the shipping cost is over $100 or it's about $10 but the stock
is overpriced. Any suggestions?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:47:58 -0800 (PST), Barry
wrote:

I want ptototype quantities of a 1" x 1/2" x 1/8" hot rolled u-
channel. One piece of any length is enough but I'm willing to meet a
$50 minimum. The two local places I emailed (New York City) aren't
getting back to me. I either want reasonable shipping costs (about
$10), or to pick it up myself and for them to cut it, or I want place
for me to lay it down and make two cuts with a hack saw (a parking lot
or sidewalk where I could get away with it is fine).

I haven't had much luck finding reasonable prices on the internet.
Either the shipping cost is over $100 or it's about $10 but the stock
is overpriced. Any suggestions?

McMaster-Carr 7779T12 $19.34

Low Carbon Steel U-Channel 1/8" Thick, 1" Base Width X 1/2" Leg L, 6'
Length

Order it today, you'll have it tomorrow. Shipping will probably be
around $15.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Barry" wrote in message
I want ptototype quantities of a 1" x 1/2" x 1/8" hot rolled u-
channel. One piece of any length is enough but I'm willing to meet a
$50 minimum. The two local places I emailed (New York City) aren't
getting back to me. I either want reasonable shipping costs (about
$10), or to pick it up myself and for them to cut it, or I want place
for me to lay it down and make two cuts with a hack saw (a parking lot
or sidewalk where I could get away with it is fine).

I haven't had much luck finding reasonable prices on the internet.
Either the shipping cost is over $100 or it's about $10 but the stock
is overpriced. Any suggestions?

McMaster has surprised me many times in the last year in that manner. For
small pieces they really are cheaper then the local metal benders many
times.

I also check Ebay, Speedy Metals, Discount Steel, and Metals to Go when I
price on-line. Ebay is the hardest to search, but quite often I have found
a small drop for a project for less than the cost of flat rate box shipping.
Also, a lot of the metal e-tailers on Ebay will work with you. Metals to Go
will discount blems pretty substantially sometimes, but you have to be able
to use what they have when you go for that pricing, and you have to exchange
emails or call them for that.

I buy my blanks for mold making precut to length from an ebay reseller for
less than I could buy uncut 20' bar stock pieces locally even including
shipping. I picked up a drop recently locally because I "needed it now" and
the price was only a little higher than my pieces from my ebay-reseller, but
the shop owner went out of his way to make sure I knew the price was ONLY
because it was a drop. I told him if he could sell to me for that price
every day he would get my routine business but he didn't seem interested. I
still had to cut it myself to keep the price reasonable. LOL.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 11, 3:57*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:

McMaster-Carr *7779T12 *$19.34

They ask for your credit card number before they (presumably) tell you
the shipping costs. Also, they have one employee and a D- rating from
the BBB.

http://www.la.bbb.org/business-revie...gs-CA-13080220

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 1/11/2012 4:27 PM, Barry wrote:
On Jan 11, 3:57 pm, Ned wrote:

McMaster-Carr 7779T12 $19.34

They ask for your credit card number before they (presumably) tell you
the shipping costs. Also, they have one employee and a D- rating from
the BBB.

http://www.la.bbb.org/business-revie...gs-CA-13080220

We use them all the time and never have a problem.. And if you look,
they have a D rating there because they had 3 complaints in 3 years, And
they don't have BBB accreditation.. For a nationwide or maybe worldwide
company, I think that's pretty good.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 13:27:48 -0800 (PST), Barry
wrote:

On Jan 11, 3:57*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:

McMaster-Carr *7779T12 *$19.34

They ask for your credit card number before they (presumably) tell you
the shipping costs. Also, they have one employee and a D- rating from
the BBB.

http://www.la.bbb.org/business-revie...gs-CA-13080220

They don't tell you the shipping charges until after your order ships,
but the charges are always reasonable. A small package from the NJ
warehouse to ME is around $6. For stuff like your channel that ships
in a long tube the charge is typically higher, presumably to cover the
cost of the packaging. If you call the order in they may be able to
estimate shipping. I'm as cheap as the next guy, but have never had a
complaint with ship charges.

Take the BBB rating with a grain of salt. Nobody does what McMaster
does better, and they must have thousands of employees.

I spent almost $7000 with McMaster last year.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 11, 3:47*pm, Barry wrote:

I haven't had much luck finding reasonable prices on the internet.
Either the shipping cost is over $100 or it's about $10 but the stock
is overpriced. Any suggestions?

Have you tried Fazzio's? They are in New Jersey. Maybe not close
enough to pick up orders as a regular thing.

Dan

http://www.josephfazzioinc.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Barry" wrote in message
On Jan 11, 3:57 pm, Ned Simmons wrote:

McMaster-Carr 7779T12 $19.34

They ask for your credit card number before they (presumably) tell you
the shipping costs. Also, they have one employee and a D- rating from
the BBB.

http://www.la.bbb.org/business-revie...gs-CA-13080220

Yeah, but the LA BBB gives LA Computer Center an A- with tons of unsatisfied
consumer complaints and atleast one criminal fraud complaint filed with the
local city attorney. They had an F until they joined the BBB. LOL. I used
their F rating to emphasize my complaint. LOL.

I have been in business for 18 years with one complaint from a customer who
had a past due bill and didn't want to pay me for service on an out of
warranty (8 years out of warranty) system I didn't install to begin with.
Its listed as satisfied, but I get a B because I am not a BBB member.

The BBB rating is in my opinion a joke. If you look at the actual
complaints, number of complaints, and the time a company has been in
business you may get some better idea of how good a company is, but the BBB
should collectively "in my opinion" (preceeding phrase inserted for legal
reasons) be prosecuted for fraud and intimidation for the way they run their
rating system.

I too actively dislike having to hand over payment information without a
total, but I've had pretty good service and fair shipping charges from
McMaster. Even so the biggest thing for me isn't distrust of shipping and
handling abuse (since its never happened from them). It's the extra time to
do the book keeping after I "discover" what the shipping charges are. When
I buy something online I am usually sitting at my desk where I can just
enter the total charge in my accounting program at the same time and be done
with it.

Anyway. McMaster is ok, and they follow through. Just my opinion.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Barry" wrote in message
[...]

Exactly. The BBB ratings are no longer worth anything after ABC among others
exposed them as nothing more than shakedown thugs.

McMaster is a great company from a customer's perspective (I have heard it
is not so great to be an employee). It is too ridiculous for words that it
should get a D- for 3 complaints in 3 years (out of how many thousands or
even millions of transactions?) That rating alone I think is enough to show
the culpability of the BBB.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I want ptototype quantities of a 1" x 1/2" x 1/8" hot rolled u-
channel. One piece of any length is enough but I'm willing to meet a
$50 minimum. The two local places I emailed (New York City) aren't
getting back to me. I either want reasonable shipping costs (about
$10), or to pick it up myself and for them to cut it, or I want place
for me to lay it down and make two cuts with a hack saw (a parking lot
or sidewalk where I could get away with it is fine).

I haven't had much luck finding reasonable prices on the internet.
Either the shipping cost is over $100 or it's about $10 but the stock
is overpriced. Any suggestions?

Is your size set in stone? Dunno if it's HRS, but either Lowes or
Home Depot carries Unistrut in the short profile. http://goo.gl/O3upF
http://goo.gl/WOaiO , wow, same price! Superstrut.

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Jan 11, 3:57*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:

McMaster-Carr *7779T12 *$19.34

They ask for your credit card number before they (presumably) tell you
the shipping costs. Also, they have one employee and a D- rating from
the BBB.

http://www.la.bbb.org/business-revie...gs-CA-13080220

Three complaints overall with a, what, 1,000+ per day shipping volume?
Hmm... g

Didn't the BBB reach a zero relevance level about two decades ago?

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 11, 11:01*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
Is your size set in stone?

Maybe I'd try 3/4" instead of 1". Otherwise, yes.

Dunno if it's HRS, but either Lowes or
Home Depot carries Unistrut in the short profile.http://goo.gl/O3upFhttp://goo.gl/WOaiO, wow, same price! *Superstrut.

14 guage is slightly more than half the thickness of 1/8" and I don't
want the slots. I already checked Home Depot and Lowes. My only hope
is a special order at Lowes. I'll check their special order catalog
the next time I'm there.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jan 11, 4:24*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
...Discount Steel...

They'll work, as long as I don't order a 20 foot piece, which is like
$700 for shipping for some reason. But I could get 3, 3 foot pieces
for $32.01 plus $9.98 shipping. I still have to look at the others and
I may check out a local place in person.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"anorton" wrote in message
m...
snip--
Exactly. The BBB ratings are no longer worth anything after ABC among
others exposed them as nothing more than shakedown thugs.

That certainly parallels my opinion after getting stiffed (over $1,000 from
an ebay transaction) by a guy (operating as a business) in Florida. He was
a member of the BBB, who determined he had done nothing wrong in
misrepresenting a damaged piece of art glass. I see the BBB as nothing
more than a protection racket. Not a subscribing member? Likely a poor
rating. It's called extortion.

If anything, I now look upon ANY business that is affiliated with the BBB as
suspect. I don't like them, and I'd like everyone to know it.

McMaster is a great company from a customer's perspective (I have heard it
is not so great to be an employee). It is too ridiculous for words that it
should get a D- for 3 complaints in 3 years (out of how many thousands or
even millions of transactions?) That rating alone I think is enough to
show the culpability of the BBB.

I've had limited interaction with McM Carr---but the few times I've bought
from them, they have fulfilled their obligations in a timely fashion, no
errors in shipping, and shipping charges, if anything, lower than expected.
I give them a high rating.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
Is your size set in stone?

Maybe I'd try 3/4" instead of 1". Otherwise, yes.

Dunno if it's HRS, but either Lowes or
Home Depot carries Unistrut in the short profile.http://goo.gl/O3upFhttp://goo.gl/WOaiO, wow, same price! *Superstrut.

14 guage is slightly more than half the thickness of 1/8" and I don't
want the slots.

I could have sworn that was 10 or 12ga. It seems pretty beefy,
probably because of the profiles. I used a piece for tiedowns in the
bed of my truck. But, if you can't use it, you can't use it.

I already checked Home Depot and Lowes. My only hope
is a special order at Lowes. I'll check their special order catalog
the next time I'm there.

McMaster has carbon steel 1 x 1/2 x 6' channel which could go UPS.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#carbon-stee...annels/=fruaff
I just put in a suggestion for them to show shipping price (or
estimate) prior to ordering, too. I hope everyone here follows suit
on that.

--
We are always the same age inside.
-- Gertrude Stein

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 1/11/2012 10:43 PM, Barry wrote:
On Jan 11, 4:24 pm, "Bob La wrote:
...Discount Steel...

They'll work, as long as I don't order a 20 foot piece, which is like
$700 for shipping for some reason....

Like it's sending a truck just for your piece, like...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--I'd suspect the BBB first; it's been announced that anyone who
pays their outrageous fees gets the best ratings. I used to belong but I've
dropped out since this scandal broke. McMaster-Carr is reputable; I've done
business with 'em forever.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

steamer wrote:

--I'd suspect the BBB first; it's been announced that anyone who
pays their outrageous fees gets the best ratings. I used to belong but I've
dropped out since this scandal broke. McMaster-Carr is reputable; I've done
business with 'em forever.

I got a letter from them, about 30 years ago when I did industrial
electronics repair & installs. The State of Ohio sold them the names of
all current business licensees. First, they complained that they
couldn't find a phone number for the business, then tried to pressure me
with, "If you don't join, we can't say anything good about your
business." I called them and told them that they were con men and to
get lost. Then I told them that only my customers got my phone number,
and all new business was by referrals.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I decided to try two local places because I also need sheet metal and
I didn't like mail order prices for cut sheets or for shipping of full
sheets. I wish there was a place that rolled up sheet metal 22 gauge
and lighter for an extra handling charge of about $5.00 so it could
fit in a UPS shippable box of about 2-1/2' x 4'. I've rolled it by
hand so I know it's possible. Just tie a wire around it and provide a
warning about cutting the wire.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
Barry wrote:

On Jan 11, 3:57*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:

McMaster-Carr *7779T12 *$19.34

They ask for your credit card number before they (presumably) tell you
the shipping costs. Also, they have one employee and a D- rating from
the BBB.

http://www.la.bbb.org/business-revie...acturer/Master
-Carr-Supply-Company-in-Santa-Fe-Springs-CA-13080220

Huh? We all use McMaster, and have nothing but praise. So I looked at
the rating webpage. The key part is "not BBB accredited". In other
words, McMaster isn't paying.

Joe Gwinn

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:50:47 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,
Barry wrote:

On Jan 11, 3:57*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:

McMaster-Carr *7779T12 *$19.34

They ask for your credit card number before they (presumably) tell you
the shipping costs. Also, they have one employee and a D- rating from
the BBB.

http://www.la.bbb.org/business-revie...acturer/Master
-Carr-Supply-Company-in-Santa-Fe-Springs-CA-13080220

Huh? We all use McMaster, and have nothing but praise. So I looked at
the rating webpage. The key part is "not BBB accredited". In other
words, McMaster isn't paying.

Joe Gwinn

That's one way to control prices...

--