Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sorting HSS Drills for ability?

Probably a daft question.

I've got boxes and tins of old/new/indeterminate HSS Drills - some are
good and some are knackered, I need to sort them out.

Is there a simple non-destructive test that I can do to assess which
ones I should bin? Can't be **** to sharpen them, replacements are cheap
enough in bulk.

These drills normally see action drilling softwood, plastic, aluminium
or mild steel, and the ones where there is rounding of outside the
'shoulders' are clearly first in my bin. What other useful attribute is
there to look for? Visually?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 27, 5:08*pm, Adrian C wrote:
Probably a daft question.

I've got boxes and tins of old/new/indeterminate HSS Drills - some are
good and some are knackered, I need to sort them out.

Is there a simple non-destructive test that I can do to assess which
ones I should bin? Can't be **** to sharpen them, replacements are cheap
enough in bulk.

These drills normally see action drilling softwood, plastic, aluminium
or mild steel, and the ones where there is rounding of outside the
'shoulders' are clearly first in my bin. What other useful attribute is
there to look for? Visually?

If you look _very_ close, you can usually see when the cutting edge is
knackered.

I dont know whether you'd consider posting me the knackered ones, I'd
be happy to refund postage on anything upto 20kg. I do a mass
resharpening every once in a while, and turn most of the dead bits
into high speed steep angled ones. If you like you can reach me on
nt@mailinator dot com, and we can swap real addies there.

NT

Sorting out drills Matty F UK diy 46 December 29th 10 11:02 PM
Sorting scissors Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 6 December 11th 09 09:14 PM
Sorting out wiring etc for new boiler Lobster UK diy 20 October 17th 09 09:00 PM
Sorting gravel from soil? N8N Home Repair 22 April 10th 07 11:50 AM
ANN: Decimal Equivalents, Drills, & Tap Drills For The Palm Carmine Castiglia Metalworking 0 January 13th 04 03:53 AM