Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sorting out drills

I've been having trouble finding drills of the right size among the
hundreds of metric and imperial drills spread around four boxes of
drills. People keep putting the metric drills into the imperial boxes
and vice versa.
The metric drills will fit into the holes in the imperial boxes.
The sizes on the drills become unreadable once someone has let the
drill slip in the chuck. It takes quite a while to measure imperial
drills with a vernier, e.g. 19/64ths is not easy to read on an
imperial vernier, and decimal places are difficult for me to convert
to 64ths etc.

So I have made a gauge to instantly show the drill size.
I have put yellow paint on all the metric drills.
I have made a drill stand for the metric drills. People keep telling
me that I can buy a drillbit stand, but I have never seen one that
accommodates up to three drills for each size.

http://i51.tinypic.com/34nflkw.jpg

I spent hours doing this! And made a mistake. As you can see we have a
few sizes missing, so I can't drill holes for them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Dec 26, 7:37*am, Matty F wrote:
[...]

I bought an electronic vernier from Tschibo about two years ago. You
can get a very similar model elsewhere. It was only around a tenner,
as I recall. I use it for measuring drills, screws, bolts, small pipes
etc. Very handy. Aldi or Lidl had one not so long ago, so the special
offers will no doubt come round again.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MM brought next idea :
Very handy. Aldi or Lidl had one not so long ago, so the special
offers will no doubt come round again.

About £8 or £9, very well made, an absolute bargain.

The do mm and inches, but it will be decimal inches - hence needing to
be then converted to a fractional drill size for imperial.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2010 07:37, Matty F wrote:
[...]

I only wish I was as well organised!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2010 10:22, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
MM brought next idea :
Very handy. Aldi or Lidl had one not so long ago, so the special
offers will no doubt come round again.

About £8 or £9, very well made, an absolute bargain.

The do mm and inches, but it will be decimal inches - hence needing to
be then converted to a fractional drill size for imperial.

True - but it doesn't take long (in Excel, for instance) to knock up a
quick look-up table [1] with each x/64 size converted to decimal inches.
You can them quickly do a match when you measure the drill.

[1] I have a feeling that my electronic vernier caliper (which I bought
when Maplin had them on offer a couple of years ago) may already have a
table printed on the back - but I can't be arsed to go out to the garage
to check!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Roger Mills wrote:
True - but it doesn't take long (in Excel, for instance) to knock up a
quick look-up table [1] with each x/64 size converted to decimal inches.
You can them quickly do a match when you measure the drill.

You'll find such tables quite easily with a search. Gives all the sizes
and equivalents.

--
*Heart attacks... God's revenge for eating his animal friends

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Dec 26, 10:22*am, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
MM brought next idea :

Very handy. Aldi or Lidl had one not so long ago, so the special
offers will no doubt come round again.

About £8 or £9, very well made, an absolute bargain.

The do mm and inches, but it will be decimal inches - hence needing to
be then converted to a fractional drill size for imperial.

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

I haven't used imperial for anything since 1969 when I left for
Germany. I am strictly a metric person now.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 27, 1:57 am, Chris Wilson wrote:
Matty F wrote in news:bc0688b1-79d7-466b-8da6-
:

I've been having trouble finding drills of the right size among the
hundreds of metric and imperial drills spread around four boxes of
drills. People keep putting the metric drills into the imperial boxes
and vice versa.

What's wrong with "Well it looks about right" and if if the hole turns out
to small just using a bigger hammer?

The main problem is when tapping holes. I need to use the correct
drill size. If it's too big the thread is weak, and if too small the
tap might break in the work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 26, 11:03 pm, MM wrote:
On Dec 26, 7:37 am, Matty F wrote:

[...]

Yes I have an electronic vernier. It takes a while to switch it on,
zero it, measure the drill and convert using a table. It takes two
seconds using my gauge, and not much longer using an ordinary vernier
with 64ths and metric. When I'm sorting out many misfiled drills, time
is important.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote in
:

On Dec 27, 1:57 am, Chris Wilson wrote:
Matty F wrote in
:

I've been having trouble finding drills of the right size among the
hundreds of metric and imperial drills spread around four boxes of
drills. People keep putting the metric drills into the imperial
boxes and vice versa.

What's wrong with "Well it looks about right" and if if the hole
turns out to small just using a bigger hammer?

The main problem is when tapping holes. I need to use the correct
drill size. If it's too big the thread is weak, and if too small the
tap might break in the work.

Mate, I was taking the Michael ... Merry Chrimbo

--

All the best,

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F expressed precisely :
Yes I have an electronic vernier. It takes a while to switch it on,
zero it, measure the drill and convert using a table.

You only need do that once, for a batch of drills.

It takes two
seconds using my gauge, and not much longer using an ordinary vernier
with 64ths and metric. When I'm sorting out many misfiled drills, time
is important.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Yes I have an electronic vernier. It takes a while to switch it on,
zero it, measure the drill and convert using a table.

You only need do that once, for a batch of drills.

Matty's point is that he's got a shed-load[1] of people using the things
and never putting them back in the right place so a super quick method
of sorting is worth doing.

[1] Literally ;-)

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Dec 2010 04:16:04 -0800 (PST), MM
wrote:

I haven't used imperial for anything since 1969 when I left for
Germany. I am strictly a metric person now.

Shame on you :-)

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 26, 7:37*am, Matty F wrote:
[...]

I like the drill block idea, but would sugget one very useful
modification. That is to include the imperial drills into the mix,
marking them in mm on one side and inches the other. That way not only
have you got all of one set for any application, but a full range of
fractional sizes with them too, it can be useful.

Can we use that pic on wiki? Drill storage/sorting is one of those
little topics that cant really be ignored.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 26, 1:36*pm, Matty F wrote:
On Dec 27, 1:57 am, Chris Wilson wrote:

Matty F wrote in news:bc0688b1-79d7-466b-8da6-
:

I've been having trouble finding drills of the right size among the
hundreds of metric and imperial drills spread around four boxes of
drills. People keep putting the metric drills into the imperial boxes
and vice versa.

What's wrong with "Well it looks about right" and if if the hole turns out
to small just using a bigger hammer?

The main problem is when tapping holes. I need to use the correct
drill size. If it's too big the thread is weak, and if too small the
tap might break in the work.

Have you considered using the resistor colour code on the drills? Put
it a bit further down than where the chuck will scrape it off. It'd
eliminate time measuring them.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 26, 3:08*pm, Scott M wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Yes I have an electronic vernier. It takes a while to switch it on,
zero it, measure the drill and convert using a table.

I hate things that do that. Maybe get a new one, trying before buying.
You only need a basic 0.1mm resolution to size bits, = 1/254 inch,
that sort of resolution can be had cheaply.

Conversion and tables are eliminated if all bits go in the same block
marked in (tenths of) millimetres.

Modify the resistor colour code so you just use 3 rings with the 3rd
being tenths of mm, and you can forget about 95% of those measurings
too.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

You could try what I used to do and code the shanks, just above the
flutes using the edge of a grindstone. Single indent implying imperial
followed by indents telling you what the drill size is. e.g.
19/64ths. indent to tell you it is an imperial drill, gap, followed by
another to indicate the one from 19 followed by another 9. Make up your
own way of coding and the drill sorting becomes simple. Imagine a drill
as follows

Pick up drill with cutting tip in your left hand and find the index mark
that defines it as Imperial. I'm using the letter I to do ascii art here.

I I IIIIIIIII Imperial mark (make it a deep one if you want)
followed a a single one, followed by 9 marks making it 19. Rotate the
drill to read the next part of the code.

IIIIII IIII 6 followed by 4 giving the 64ths.

You wont scrub this with a loose chuck.

Obviously, metric drills will be much easier to mark up this way.

HTH

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I haven't used imperial for anything since 1969 when I left for
Germany. I am strictly a metric person now.

Shame on you :-)

Yes I agree, but I'll bet he talks in that non SI of centimetres.
They annoy me on TV. I was introduced to mm in 1978 and have always
thought that way ever since.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 27, 4:56 am, Tabby wrote:
On Dec 26, 7:37 am, Matty F wrote:

http://i51.tinypic.com/34nflkw.jpg

I spent hours doing this! And made a mistake. As you can see we have a
few sizes missing, so I can't drill holes for them.

I like the drill block idea, but would sugget one very useful
modification. That is to include the imperial drills into the mix,
marking them in mm on one side and inches the other. That way not only
have you got all of one set for any application, but a full range of
fractional sizes with them too, it can be useful.

Can we use that pic on wiki? Drill storage/sorting is one of those
little topics that cant really be ignored.

Maybe you could wait until I have made the imperial block, which will
be separate from the metric block.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 27, 5:25 am, Dave wrote:
[...]

I considered puting different colours on the drills, but decided to
just mark the metric ones so people know which drill block to put a
drill into. Since I used the actual drill to drill each hole, the
drills won't go into the wrong hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 27, 4:08 am, Scott M wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Yes I have an electronic vernier. It takes a while to switch it on,
zero it, measure the drill and convert using a table.

You only need do that once, for a batch of drills.

Matty's point is that he's got a shed-load[1] of people using the things
and never putting them back in the right place so a super quick method
of sorting is worth doing.

[1] Literally ;-)

Two shed-loads and four drill presses!
Next I'll be sorting out the drills from half inch to about two inch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Dec 26, 9:26*pm, Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,

*MM wrote:
On Dec 26, 10:22*am, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
MM brought next idea :

Very handy. Aldi or Lidl had one not so long ago, so the special
offers will no doubt come round again.

About £8 or £9, very well made, an absolute bargain.

The do mm and inches, but it will be decimal inches - hence needing to
be then converted to a fractional drill size for imperial.

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

I haven't used imperial for anything since 1969 when I left for
Germany. I am strictly a metric person now.

So how would you address someone called Miles?

The name Miles has got nothing to do with measurement.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2010 1:16 a.m., MM wrote:

I haven't used imperial for anything since 1969 when I left for
Germany. I am strictly a metric person now.

MM

^

Millimetric, in fact.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2010 10:26 a.m., Tim Streater wrote:

So how would you address someone called Miles?

You call him Gib (Miles is my first name).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, MM
writes

*MM wrote:
On Dec 26, 10:22*am, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
MM brought next idea :

Very handy. Aldi or Lidl had one not so long ago, so the special
offers will no doubt come round again.

About £8 or £9, very well made, an absolute bargain.

The do mm and inches, but it will be decimal inches - hence needing to
be then converted to a fractional drill size for imperial.

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

I haven't used imperial for anything since 1969 when I left for
Germany. I am strictly a metric person now.

So how would you address someone called Miles?

The name Miles has got nothing to do with measurement.

What about the Zoll?

Would you like to remind us how many mm that is ?

25.4, isn't it ?

and what about power output of a car engine, people tend to use Ps
(Pferdestärke) rather than the metric wattage, don't they

etc ...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 12:54:22 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message
, MM
writes

*MM wrote:
On Dec 26, 10:22*am, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
MM brought next idea :

Very handy. Aldi or Lidl had one not so long ago, so the special
offers will no doubt come round again.

About £8 or £9, very well made, an absolute bargain.

The do mm and inches, but it will be decimal inches - hence needing to
be then converted to a fractional drill size for imperial.

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

I haven't used imperial for anything since 1969 when I left for
Germany. I am strictly a metric person now.

So how would you address someone called Miles?

The name Miles has got nothing to do with measurement.

What about the Zoll?

The name Miles has got nothing to do with that, either.

Would you like to remind us how many mm that is ?

No.

25.4, isn't it ?

No idea.

and what about power output of a car engine, people tend to use Ps
(Pferdestärke) rather than the metric wattage, don't they

Horses are more metric than imperial, given that they must have been
brought here by the Romans.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , MM
writes

*MM wrote:
On Dec 26, 10:22*am, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
MM brought next idea :

Very handy. Aldi or Lidl had one not so long ago, so the special
offers will no doubt come round again.

About £8 or £9, very well made, an absolute bargain.

The do mm and inches, but it will be decimal inches - hence needing to
be then converted to a fractional drill size for imperial.

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

I haven't used imperial for anything since 1969 when I left for
Germany. I am strictly a metric person now.

So how would you address someone called Miles?

The name Miles has got nothing to do with measurement.

What about the Zoll?

The name Miles has got nothing to do with that, either.

Would you like to remind us how many mm that is ?

No.

25.4, isn't it ?

No idea.

No you don't do you

and what about power output of a car engine, people tend to use Ps
(Pferdestärke) rather than the metric wattage, don't they

Horses are more metric than imperial, given that they must have been
brought here by the Romans.

The metric unit is (k)W

If its Roman, it has to be imperial doesn't it (or did that go over your
head too?)

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Terry Casey writes
In article ,
says...

That's OK for imperial to metric, but you haven't given the metric to
imperial sizes.

Dave

Well, I had assumed that someone working in a metric environment would
use a metric
vernier - but here goes:

mm drill
1.00 1.0mm
1.50 1.5mm
2.00 2.0mm
2.50 2.5mm
3.50 3.0mm

Asymptotic are they ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Skipweasel
writes
In article , says...
If its Roman, it has to be imperial doesn't it (or did that go over your
head too?)

Rome wasn't always an empire.

Don't spoil a good punchline

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:29:42 -0000, Skipweasel wrote:

In article , says...
If its Roman, it has to be imperial doesn't it (or did that go over your
head too?)

Rome wasn't always an empire.

It was when they brought the horses over. Or maybe geoff thinks the
chariots were self-driven in some way.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 16:16:15 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , MM
writes

*MM wrote:
On Dec 26, 10:22*am, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
MM brought next idea :

[...]

That's roughly 100% correct.

and what about power output of a car engine, people tend to use Ps
(Pferdestärke) rather than the metric wattage, don't they

Horses are more metric than imperial, given that they must have been
brought here by the Romans.

The metric unit is (k)W

Is it really? I did not know that. Thanks for telling me!

If its Roman, it has to be imperial doesn't it (or did that go over your
head too?)

No idea.

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 28, 9:50 pm, MM wrote:

But you have to admit that for all everyday calculations in medicine,
industry, the arts and elsewhere the metric system now holds sway
across Europe, even in Britain.

I, too, was blinkered until I went to live and work in Germany. Then I
discovered the metric system and the crass idiocy of our imperial
system of measurement hit me like a train. 3 and five sixty-fourths! I
mean, really! Ludicrously archaic, not to say primitive.

In my hobby restoring old machinery, I have to use whatever system is
used on that machinery. Since it's mostly around 100 years old, it's
usually Whitworth. Sometimes it's more modern and it's Unified or
metric, or BA. So we have to have a supply of bolts and nuts for all
sizes and lengths of BSW, BSF, UNC, UNF and metric and BA, from very
small up to one and a quarter inch diameter.
And also a supply of taps and dies for many of those, and probably
three of each for tapping blind holes.
Then there are plain steel bolts, plated bolts, stainless and brass
bolts and nuts.
And Coach bolts and all the other kinds of bolt head.
And some poor sod (me) ends up sorting them all out!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Tue, 28 Dec 2010 01:10:52 -0800 (PST), Matty F
wrote:

On Dec 28, 9:50 pm, MM wrote:

[...]

In your specific application there is no choice but to use imperial,
just as if I restored a classic, pre-war British car I'd be digging
out my set of Whitworth spanners. In fact, as a former motor fitter
(apprenticeship completed 1968), it was a long while until I
encountered a metric bolt or nut. I think it was on a 1960s Ford
Taunus that we towed off the M20.

MM

Sorting scissors Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 6 December 11th 09 09:14 PM
Sorting out wiring etc for new boiler Lobster UK diy 20 October 17th 09 09:00 PM
Sorting dip in garage roof andy UK diy 0 October 5th 06 01:55 PM
Sorting & storage of Capacitors west Electronics 0 July 28th 05 04:22 PM
ANN: Decimal Equivalents, Drills, & Tap Drills For The Palm Carmine Castiglia Metalworking 0 January 13th 04 03:53 AM