Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Home Voltage regulation

Someone has asked for an opinion from me about having a "VPhase" unit
fitted.

I've only had time for a very quick internet search, and have read some
of the info on the manufacturer's site.

The unit (shown in a video on the site that appears to show something
with a toroidal transformer or choke linked to what may be a bunch of
electronics under a cover. This reduces selected circuits in the house
to 220volts, the argument being that EU equipment is designed to run all
over Europe at their standard 220 rather than our 240 to 245 volts.

It seems to me that the unit is unlikely to recover its cost before it
fails in some way (eg it has a contactor inside that bypasses it when
the house draws too much current). It says it works by "Thermal"
control. It costs approx £300 plus installation.

He does run some equipment that relies on synchronous motors for
accurate speed control. The site doesn't mention frequency at all as far
as I can see. His kettle will take longer to boil, I assume.

Any views?
--
Bill