Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.sci.weather,uk.d-i-y

Default The next grey waste thread.

A number of informed but preparatioanlly challenged boffin types
inuk.sci.wether are worrying themselves sick over their petunias.

One would have thought by now the ones most likely to be affected
would be the ones most likely to have done something about it.

Such is not the human condition in these septic aisles:

On Mar 17, 6:14*pm, Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Mar 17, 5:35*pm, "Dartmoor Will" wrote:
"Adam Lea" wrote in message

On 17/03/12 09:59, Dartmoor Will wrote:
"Dave Cornwell" wrote in message

After this unsettled interlude it will be interesting to see what the
new High Pressure will bring. Will it be a sunny one for most or take
on the guise of many of last years systems and bring cloud and grey
skies to many. I suspect where it settles and the wind direction will
be the key to most peoples' fortunes again.

Unsure about the cloud Dave, but you guys in the SE could end up seeing
no more rain for at least two weeks as yet another massive block
develops near the UK.

I have been pondering whether it would be worthwhile to dig up my back
lawn and replace with an allotment as I like the idea of being able to
grow my own food. However, I am wondering now whether it would be feasible
as an allotment would require far more watering than the lawn (I don't
bother watering the lawn, I leave it to its own devices) and it is
unlikely I would be able to store enough rainfall to get me through
prolonged dry spells such as this. What do you think?

Some useful rain here today from a gardening point of view but probably
won't do much to top up the reservoirs.

Go for it Adam. You really cannot beat the taste of your own veg.
Watering needn't be a big issue. Dig in plenty of organic matter first and
get the soil in good condition. Use a watering can, never a hose, and only
water when the plant really needs it. Collect and save rainwater in butts,
it is better for the plants, but don't worry about using tap water. Some
veg. require water more than others. beans and peas don't need as much as
people think but potatoes do as do other root crops to prevent splitting. In
my opinion lawns are nice features but can be boring if the whole or most of
the garden is just laid to lawn.

The lunar pattern causing these blocking spells can't go on much
longer can it?
An el nino phase only lasts 2 years at the most.

But just in case, there are plenty of simple work arounds to get your
grey water into a pond and onto your spuds/premeditated agrarian tri-
weekly indulgence/masochism feu, aka lawn.