Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default SloMo toilet seat

I have a toilet seat that, when new, would go down slowly from upright.
It doesn't do that now, a few years later.

The hinges are housed in cylinders mounted horizontally. No doubt the
rods going into the cylinders have some device on them which run perhaps
in a substance that impedes their turning.

Is there any way I can repair them, now that they don't work?

Or must I buy a new seat every few years?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well you can buy new seats of that design at Costco for about £22
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My daughter has these in her house.
We stayed there for 2 weeks and ever since I have come home I have been
having problems forgetting and letting our normal seats bang down, (after
use!)

"Murmansk" wrote in message
Well you can buy new seats of that design at Costco for about £22

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stewart wrote:
Murmansk wrote

Well you can buy new seats of that design at Costco for about £22

My daughter has these in her house.

We stayed there for 2 weeks and ever since I have come home I have been having problems forgetting and letting our
normal seats bang down, (after use!)

Thats just the Alzheimers, nothing to worry about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:19:37 +0000, Hugh Newbury wrote:

I have a toilet seat that, when new, would go down slowly from upright.
It doesn't do that now, a few years later.

I can't think why one would want a loo seat that you can't get down
quickly.

Attack of Montasumas Revenge and mad dash for loo only to have to
wait 10 seconds for the perishing seat to close, 10s is a *LONG* time
when you are about to **** out of your arse.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:19:37 +0000, Hugh Newbury wrote:

I have a toilet seat that, when new, would go down slowly from upright.
It doesn't do that now, a few years later.

I can't think why one would want a loo seat that you can't get down
quickly.

Attack of Montasumas Revenge and mad dash for loo only to have to
wait 10 seconds for the perishing seat to close, 10s is a *LONG* time
when you are about to **** out of your arse.

In situations like that, a seat is a luxury, not an essential. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:19:37 +0000, Hugh Newbury wrote:

I have a toilet seat that, when new, would go down slowly from upright.
It doesn't do that now, a few years later.

I can't think why one would want a loo seat that you can't get down
quickly.

Attack of Montasumas Revenge and mad dash for loo only to have to
wait 10 seconds for the perishing seat to close, 10s is a *LONG* time
when you are about to **** out of your arse.

--
Cheers
Dave.

The ones I've got, you can push down manually pretty much as fast as you
like. They just don't fall if you let 'em go ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/03/2012 02:17, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:19:37 +0000, Hugh Newbury wrote:

I have a toilet seat that, when new, would go down slowly from upright.
It doesn't do that now, a few years later.

I can't think why one would want a loo seat that you can't get down
quickly.

Attack of Montasumas Revenge and mad dash for loo only to have to
wait 10 seconds for the perishing seat to close, 10s is a *LONG* time
when you are about to **** out of your arse.

The ones I've got, you can push down manually pretty much as fast as you
like. They just don't fall if you let 'em go ...

They'd have to be able to pushed down quickly - forget the exploding
arse problem, can you imagine the grief you'd get from half of the
household if they needed to wait everytime they wanted a ****? :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 03:12:27 +0000, Clive George wrote:

The ones I've got, you can push down manually pretty much as fast

as
you like. They just don't fall if you let 'em go ...

The ones I've played with in shops didn't seem to want to close
particularly quickly when shoved.

They'd have to be able to pushed down quickly - forget the exploding
arse problem, can you imagine the grief you'd get from half of the
household if they needed to wait everytime they wanted a ****? :-)

Don't you get that anyway if you leave the seat up (as it should be).

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 16, 8:33*am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 03:12:27 +0000, Clive George wrote:
The ones I've got, you can push down manually pretty much as fast

as
you like. They just don't fall if you let 'em go ...

The ones I've played with in shops didn't seem to want to close
particularly quickly when shoved.

They'd have to be able to pushed down quickly - forget the exploding
arse problem, can you imagine the grief you'd get from half of the
household if they needed to wait everytime they wanted a ****? :-)

Don't you get that anyway if you leave the seat up (as it should be).

--
Cheers
Dave.

I know you're just begging to be asked by why do you think the seat
should be left up ?

Paul Mc Cann

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 22:02:55 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:19:37 +0000, Hugh Newbury wrote:

I have a toilet seat that, when new, would go down slowly from upright.
It doesn't do that now, a few years later.

I can't think why one would want a loo seat that you can't get down
quickly.

Keep the seat and lid down and then you'd have to just open the lid.

Attack of Montasumas Revenge and mad dash for loo only to have to
wait 10 seconds for the perishing seat to close, 10s is a *LONG* time
when you are about to **** out of your arse.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk,
"Dave Liquorice" writes:
On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:19:37 +0000, Hugh Newbury wrote:

I have a toilet seat that, when new, would go down slowly from upright.
It doesn't do that now, a few years later.

I can't think why one would want a loo seat that you can't get down
quickly.

Seats that slam down are an occasional cause of injury to young boys
who are just starting to use the toilet.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" writes:

I can't think why one would want a loo seat that you can't get down
quickly.

Seats that slam down are an occasional cause of injury to young boys
who are just starting to use the toilet.

I hope it's better now :-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:45:11 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Seats that slam down are an occasional cause of injury to young boys
who are just starting to use the toilet.

I bet that only happens once. B-)

You do come across the occasional seat that won't stay up because
it's been fitted incorrectly or is a replacement seat and doesn't
match the pan/cistern.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice :
You do come across the occasional seat that won't stay up because
it's been fitted incorrectly or is a replacement seat and doesn't
match the pan/cistern.

Installed by a feminist plumber, probably.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:45:11 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Seats that slam down are an occasional cause of injury to young boys
who are just starting to use the toilet.

I bet that only happens once. B-)

You do come across the occasional seat that won't stay up because
it's been fitted incorrectly or is a replacement seat and doesn't
match the pan/cistern.

But usually because it's had a hideous fluffy cover fitted. ;-)

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

There are two main ways this sort of mechanism works I'd imagine. first, the
viscous paddle that moves slowly due to the oil, and the other is the geared
fan approach which to whirl around a device like a paddle steamer wheel
geared from the main shaft.
A few years back I recall a web site that had toilets around the world on
it, and some of the most fascinating seemed to be in Japan.
Can't recall the address now.
Brian

Email:

"Hugh Newbury" wrote in message
I have a toilet seat that, when new, would go down slowly from upright. It
doesn't do that now, a few years later.

The hinges are housed in cylinders mounted horizontally. No doubt the rods
going into the cylinders have some device on them which run perhaps in a
substance that impedes their turning.

Is there any way I can repair them, now that they don't work?

Or must I buy a new seat every few years?

Hugh

--

Hugh Newbury

www.evershot-weather.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff :
There are two main ways this sort of mechanism works I'd imagine. first, the
viscous paddle that moves slowly due to the oil, and the other is the geared
fan approach which to whirl around a device like a paddle steamer wheel
geared from the main shaft.

I'm not sure I want a vicious paddle anywhere near my arse.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message
Brian Gaff :
There are two main ways this sort of mechanism works I'd imagine. first,
the
viscous paddle that moves slowly due to the oil, and the other is the
geared
fan approach which to whirl around a device like a paddle steamer wheel
geared from the main shaft.

I'm not sure I want a vicious paddle anywhere near my arse.

--

don't rush to judgement

could depend on who who is holding the paddle

and what else is in the repetoire

Regards