Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

Default Hammer-on picture hooks

I've seen these recently. A white plastic hook with three steel pins
protruding, which I assume are simply hammered into a solid wall. Are
they any good?

MM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MM" wrote in message
I've seen these recently. A white plastic hook with three steel pins
protruding, which I assume are simply hammered into a solid wall. Are
they any good?

In the right wall they are fine, they tend to bend in my walls, I have to
use rawlplugs and screws.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 17:22:51 -0000, MM wrote:

I've seen these recently. A white plastic hook with three steel pins
protruding, which I assume are simply hammered into a solid wall. Are
they any good?

MM

A bit bulky but the only way of hanging anything in my parents old
bungalow without using a hammer drill. Plaster was like hard concrete but
the small pins would penetrate even if I did have to hit them hard enough
to set off next door's burglar alarm.
Doubtless the quality of the pins varies but the ones I got were very good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 17:22:51 -0000, MM wrote:

I've seen these recently. A white plastic hook with three steel pins
protruding, which I assume are simply hammered into a solid wall. Are
they any good?

MM

A bit bulky but the only way of hanging anything in my parents old
bungalow without using a hammer drill.

sticks like ****?
car body filler?

Plaster was like hard concrete
but the small pins would penetrate even if I did have to hit them hard
enough to set off next door's burglar alarm.
Doubtless the quality of the pins varies but the ones I got were very good.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 18:02:02 -0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 17:22:51 -0000, MM wrote:

I've seen these recently. A white plastic hook with three steel pins
protruding, which I assume are simply hammered into a solid wall. Are
they any good?

MM

A bit bulky but the only way of hanging anything in my parents old
bungalow without using a hammer drill.

sticks like ****?
car body filler?

My comment was a bit of a generalisation. I was hanging pictures. Not in
areas I would want to use an adhesive that would cause substantial damage
if it needed to be removed. I do use both sticks like **** and what used
to be plastic padding type hard. Seem to recall amongst other things it
has been called chemical metal or similar.

Plaster was like hard concrete
but the small pins would penetrate even if I did have to hit them hard
enough to set off next door's burglar alarm.
Doubtless the quality of the pins varies but the ones I got were very
good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

I was hanging pictures. Not in areas I would want to use an adhesive
that would cause substantial damage if it needed to be removed.

3M Command adhesive hooks?
http://www.command.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 21:42:28 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:

I was hanging pictures. Not in areas I would want to use an adhesive
that would cause substantial damage if it needed to be removed.

3M Command adhesive hooks?
http://www.command.com

Skyhook?

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2012 17:56, Hugh - Was Invisible wrote:
On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 17:22:51 -0000, MM wrote:

I've seen these recently. A white plastic hook with three steel pins
protruding, which I assume are simply hammered into a solid wall. Are
they any good?

MM

A bit bulky but the only way of hanging anything in my parents old
bungalow without using a hammer drill. Plaster was like hard concrete

My place is similar, masonry nails bend if you try to hammer them in.

The hooks described above - didn't know they were called Toly hooks -
work a treat.

There are a number of house near here built by the navy 50+ years ago.
You can't hang a picture on a wall without using an SDS - hammer drill
has no effect at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/03/2012 17:22, MM wrote:
I've seen these recently. A white plastic hook with three steel pins
protruding, which I assume are simply hammered into a solid wall. Are
they any good?

MM

They work surprisingly well for reasonably light pictures on hard wall
surfaces, which is what they are designed for. Not much good on soft
plaster or plasterboard. The manufacturers say the picture should have
cord not the fine wire for hanging. If you’ve got lots to hand they are
cheaper in bulk from people like Lion.

Basically if you can get the long nails of normal hooks into the wall
they are preferable. If not then try the Toly hooks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 18:37:50 +0000, Norman Billingham
wrote:

On 09/03/2012 17:22, MM wrote:
I've seen these recently. A white plastic hook with three steel pins
protruding, which I assume are simply hammered into a solid wall. Are
they any good?

MM

They work surprisingly well for reasonably light pictures on hard wall
surfaces, which is what they are designed for. Not much good on soft
plaster or plasterboard. The manufacturers say the picture should have
cord not the fine wire for hanging. If you’ve got lots to hand they are
cheaper in bulk from people like Lion.

Basically if you can get the long nails of normal hooks into the wall
they are preferable. If not then try the Toly hooks.

I can now confirm, having bought several this morning, that they work
brilliantly. I'll buy some more on Monday.

MM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
MM MM is offline

wrote:

On 09/03/2012 17:22, MM wrote:
I've seen these recently. A white plastic hook with three steel pins
protruding, which I assume are simply hammered into a solid wall. Are
they any good?

MM

They work surprisingly well for reasonably light pictures on hard wall
surfaces, which is what they are designed for. Not much good on soft
plaster or plasterboard. The manufacturers say the picture should have
cord not the fine wire for hanging. If you’ve got lots to hand they are
cheaper in bulk from people like Lion.

Basically if you can get the long nails of normal hooks into the wall
they are preferable. If not then try the Toly hooks.

I can now confirm, having bought several this morning, that they work
brilliantly. I'll buy some more on Monday.

MM

W A R N I N G ! Use eye protection!

I had one of the pins snap off and shoot into my face. Could have been
blinded.

MM

Hammer Drill or Rotary Hammer for poured concrete wall RogerT Home Repair 19 November 6th 15 04:59 PM
Picture hanging hooks Richard UK diy 26 January 28th 08 11:16 PM
Best way to remove picture hooks from wall WM UK diy 8 January 22nd 06 11:53 AM
Best way to remove picture hooks from wall WM Woodworking 8 January 22nd 06 11:53 AM