Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Picture hanging hooks

At the insistence of SWMBO I'm trying to hang various pictures around
the house.

Problem: the house is built from a type of white brick which is very
hard and shatters given half a chance.

Hardened picture hanging pins (black shank with brass head) bend as if
made of toffee.

I presume that these: http://tinyurl.com/ywx855 hardwall picture hooks
- described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be used.

I do not have dado rails and they would not suit the house.

Suggestions as to how to hang the pictures eagerly sought.

TIA

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2008 15:00, Richard wrote:

Hardened picture hanging pins (black shank with brass head) bend as if
made of toffee.

Suggestions as to how to hang the pictures eagerly sought.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=230215706650
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Jan, 15:00, Richard wrote:
At the insistence of SWMBO I'm trying to hang various pictures around
the house.

Problem: *the house is built from a type of white brick which is very
hard and shatters given half a chance.

Hardened picture hanging pins (black shank with brass head) bend as if
made of toffee.

I presume that these: *http://tinyurl.com/ywx855*hardwall picture hooks
- described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be used.

I do not have dado rails and they would not suit the house.

Suggestions as to how to hang the pictures eagerly sought.

TIA

Richard

If they're not appreciably heavy you can get self adhesive hooks. For
aesthetics you'd probably want to hang the pictures so they are hidden
though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:
At the insistence of SWMBO I'm trying to hang various pictures around
the house.

Problem: the house is built from a type of white brick which is very
hard and shatters given half a chance.

Hardened picture hanging pins (black shank with brass head) bend as if
made of toffee.

I presume that these: http://tinyurl.com/ywx855 hardwall picture
hooks - described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be
used.

Quite the reverse - they are designed for very hard walls. I think the B&Q
site means 'not suitable forplasterboard walls' or 'not suitable for plaster
skimmed walls' - in the latter case the pins might be too short to reach
solid brick.

My house in cement rendered and OBO masonry nails bend! Those picture hooks
are what we use.

Suggestions as to how to hang the pictures eagerly sought.

SDS drill, wall plugs & screws, or for very light pictures No More Nails.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lino expert wrote:
On 27 Jan, 15:00, Richard wrote:
At the insistence of SWMBO I'm trying to hang various pictures around
the house.

Problem: the house is built from a type of white brick which is very
hard and shatters given half a chance.

Hardened picture hanging pins (black shank with brass head) bend as if
made of toffee.

I presume that these: http://tinyurl.com/ywx855 hardwall picture hooks
- described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be used.

Ideal for brick I would have thought. Nice because you hit all 4 pins at
once with your (sledge?) hammer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Jan, 15:21, Lino expert wrote:
On 27 Jan, 15:00, Richard wrote:

At the insistence of SWMBO I'm trying to hang various pictures around
the house.

Problem: *the house is built from a type of white brick which is very
hard and shatters given half a chance.

Hardened picture hanging pins (black shank with brass head) bend as if
made of toffee.

I presume that these: *http://tinyurl.com/ywx855*hardwall picture hooks
- described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be used.

I do not have dado rails and they would not suit the house.

Suggestions as to how to hang the pictures eagerly sought.

TIA

Richard

If they're not appreciably heavy you can get self adhesive hooks. For
aesthetics you'd probably want to hang the pictures so they are hidden
though.- Hide quoted text -

I'll try a link to see if it works, if not, they're on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Command-Pict...1447944&sr=1-1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
At the insistence of SWMBO I'm trying to hang various pictures around the
house.

Problem: the house is built from a type of white brick which is very hard
and shatters given half a chance.

Hardened picture hanging pins (black shank with brass head) bend as if
made of toffee.

I presume that these: http://tinyurl.com/ywx855 hardwall picture hooks -
described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be used.

I do not have dado rails and they would not suit the house.

Suggestions as to how to hang the pictures eagerly sought.

TIA

Richard

3M have a new range of adhesive hooks etc, that are also removable, think
B&Q do them

HTH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote:

"Richard" wrote in message
At the insistence of SWMBO I'm trying to hang various pictures around
the house.

Problem: the house is built from a type of white brick which is very
hard and shatters given half a chance.

Hardened picture hanging pins (black shank with brass head) bend as if
made of toffee.

I presume that these: http://tinyurl.com/ywx855 hardwall picture
hooks - described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be used.

I do not have dado rails and they would not suit the house.

Suggestions as to how to hang the pictures eagerly sought.

TIA

Richard

3M have a new range of adhesive hooks etc, that are also removable,
think B&Q do them

HTH

Thanks Tim and Lino Expert - I've glanced from afar at those things.
I've always assumed that they promised to just about everything bar turn
lead into gold, if you see what I mean. I'll try some.

And thanks Dave, I'll also try the multi pin thingies.

Cheers

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 15:00:10 +0000, Richard wrote:

At the insistence of SWMBO I'm trying to hang various pictures around
the house.

Problem: the house is built from a type of white brick which is very
hard and shatters given half a chance.

Hardened picture hanging pins (black shank with brass head) bend as if
made of toffee.

I presume that these: http://tinyurl.com/ywx855 hardwall picture hooks
- described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be used.

I do not have dado rails and they would not suit the house.

Suggestions as to how to hang the pictures eagerly sought.

Hang them from a picture rail.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote:

Problem: the house is built from a type of white brick which is very
hard and shatters given half a chance.

I presume that these: http://tinyurl.com/ywx855 hardwall picture hooks
- described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be used.

I use those on ('50s hard) plaster all the time and find them very good.
You can also remove them with little damage just with a few gentle taps
on the side with a small hammer.

The quick answer is invest in a bag of them and try. (Screwfix do a
couple of different sizes)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 15:00:10 +0000, Richard wrote:

At the insistence of SWMBO I'm trying to hang various pictures around
the house.

Problem: the house is built from a type of white brick which is very
hard and shatters given half a chance.

Hardened picture hanging pins (black shank with brass head) bend as if
made of toffee.

I presume that these: http://tinyurl.com/ywx855 hardwall picture hooks
- described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be used.

I do not have dado rails and they would not suit the house.

Suggestions as to how to hang the pictures eagerly sought.

Hang them from a picture rail.

Please see (my) line second from bottom. I assumed that as no one had
corrected me that this was the posh ;-) term for a picture rail. Sorry
and all that, but the style of the house won't take them and I have to
hang the blasted pictures in most rooms and all of the corridors :-(

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Richard
writes
I do not have dado rails and they would not suit the house.

Suggestions as to how to hang the pictures eagerly sought.

Hang them from a picture rail.

Please see (my) line second from bottom. I assumed that as no one had
corrected me that this was the posh ;-) term for a picture rail. Sorry
and all that, but the style of the house won't take them and I have to
hang the blasted pictures in most rooms and all of the corridors :-(

A dado rail is traditionally around 3ft from the floor and would be a
strange place to hang pictures from unless for small children.

--
Si
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
At the insistence of SWMBO I'm trying to hang various pictures around
the house.

Problem: the house is built from a type of white brick which is very
hard and shatters given half a chance.

Hardened picture hanging pins (black shank with brass head) bend as if
made of toffee.

I presume that these: http://tinyurl.com/ywx855 hardwall picture hooks
- described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be used.

I do not have dado rails and they would not suit the house.

Suggestions as to how to hang the pictures eagerly sought.

TIA

Richard

You can buy tiny wall plugs and masonary bit you know. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Si $3o&m wrote:

A dado rail is traditionally around 3ft from the floor and would be a
strange place to hang pictures from unless for small children.

But an excellent place to hang small children.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Richard
writes
I do not have dado rails and they would not suit the house.

Suggestions as to how to hang the pictures eagerly sought.

Hang them from a picture rail.

Please see (my) line second from bottom. I assumed that as no one had
corrected me that this was the posh ;-) term for a picture rail. Sorry
and all that, but the style of the house won't take them and I have to
hang the blasted pictures in most rooms and all of the corridors :-(

A dado rail is traditionally around 3ft from the floor and would be a
strange place to hang pictures from unless for small children.

Yes, they're to protect the walls from being damaged by upright chair backs.

Mary

--
Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
At the insistence of SWMBO I'm trying to hang various pictures around the
house.

Problem: the house is built from a type of white brick which is very hard
and shatters given half a chance.

Hardened picture hanging pins (black shank with brass head) bend as if
made of toffee.

I presume that these: http://tinyurl.com/ywx855 hardwall picture hooks -
described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be used.

I do not have dado rails and they would not suit the house.

Suggestions as to how to hang the pictures eagerly sought.

TIA

Richard

Make mirror plates.

We inherited a lot of very heavy oil paintings and Spouse made plates to
hold them. They can be painted over (or papered if that's still used) and
won't show.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
I presume that these:
http://tinyurl.com/ywx855 hardwall picture hooks
- described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be used.

They work on our very hard concrete walls.
--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , $3o&m
says...
A dado rail is traditionally around 3ft from the floor and would be a
strange place to hang pictures from unless for small children.

Originally intended to protect plaster walls from chair-backs.
--
Skipweasel.
Never knowingly understood.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mary Fisher
writes
"Si" $3o&m wrote in message
In message , Richard
writes
I do not have dado rails and they would not suit the house.

Suggestions as to how to hang the pictures eagerly sought.

Hang them from a picture rail.

Please see (my) line second from bottom. I assumed that as no one had
corrected me that this was the posh ;-) term for a picture rail. Sorry
and all that, but the style of the house won't take them and I have to
hang the blasted pictures in most rooms and all of the corridors :-(

A dado rail is traditionally around 3ft from the floor and would be a
strange place to hang pictures from unless for small children.

Yes, they're to protect the walls from being damaged by upright chair backs.

They were originally to hide the unsightly damage done to walls by
rising damp.

--
Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Skipweasel wrote:
In article ,
says...
I presume that these:
http://tinyurl.com/ywx855 hardwall picture hooks
- described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be used.

They work on our very hard concrete walls.

So would they work on my plaster-on-white-brick walls.

_Global apology for dado/picture rail faux pas_

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

Ask SWMBO.

Mary

I did: "I don't care as long as you hang them were I want them"

So I went and fixed the dead alternator on the RR in the dark.

What's your solution Mary?

Richard ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27 Jan, 23:12, Richard wrote:
Mary Fisher wrote:

Ask SWMBO.

Mary

I did: "I don't care as long as you hang them were I want them"

So I went and fixed the dead alternator on the RR in the dark.

Perhaps a liberal application of No-More-Nails on the back of the
pictures?

Mark you, SWMBO may not appreciate being taught that accurate and
complete specifications are useful - "Oh - you wanted to be able to
take them down as well, did you? You didn't *say* that."

Sid

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Richard" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

Ask SWMBO.

Mary

I did: "I don't care as long as you hang them were I want them"

So I went and fixed the dead alternator on the RR in the dark.

What's your solution Mary?

Richard ;-)

You should have married me.

Mary

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.uk...
Richard wrote:
At the insistence of SWMBO I'm trying to hang various pictures around
the house.

Problem: the house is built from a type of white brick which is very
hard and shatters given half a chance.

Hardened picture hanging pins (black shank with brass head) bend as if
made of toffee.

I presume that these: http://tinyurl.com/ywx855 hardwall picture
hooks - described as not suitable for plastered walls - cannot be
used.

Quite the reverse - they are designed for very hard walls. I think the
B&Q site means 'not suitable forplasterboard walls' or 'not suitable for
plaster skimmed walls' - in the latter case the pins might be too short to
reach solid brick.

My house in cement rendered and OBO masonry nails bend! Those picture
hooks are what we use.

Seconded.

In our old 1930s flat the walls were made of bricks "that seemed to have a
core made out of coal" or some similar fiendishly hard material.

We could just about get an OBO masonry nail in if we were lucky, but those
plastic hooks with the 3 or 4 sharp pins were VERY successful. We still use
them in our modern house, including on plasterboard in a few cases - for
very light pictures only.

Regarding the 3M self adhesive hooks - think I'd avoid those if you want
your pictures to stay up for a long time. I used some of their self adhesive
"3M Control" hooks in the conservatory a few years ago to put up some
Christmas lights - tacky eh? Anyway they stuck like s**t to the UPVC window
frames, but this year when I went to refit the lights to the hooks they just
fell off - the adhesive had packed up. Maybe the combination of wildly
varying temperatures and the slight dampness/condensation, but I wouldn't
use them again.

Regards,
Simon.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mary Fisher wrote:

I did: "I don't care as long as you hang them were I want them"

So I went and fixed the dead alternator on the RR in the dark.

What's your solution Mary?

Richard ;-)

You should have married me.

Mary

If only! So many opportunities pass us by

Richard :-)