Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Air brush compressor query

I have some work which will require air brush painting.

I've been given a 'stated-as-good' airbrush gun and require to get the
compressor. I don't really have any current use for a full sized
compressor and would rather not be faced with the storage for that.
But having said that there is the occasional for bike, car and
wheelbarrow tyres to be dealt with - the sort of things that the
rather nasty 12V car compressor does for us currently.

I've found a dual piston air brush compressor driven by a 1/4hp 240v
motor with a 3.5l tank. No use for air tools, proper spray painting,
etc., but it will be easy to store and transport. How would that get
on for blowing up the occasional tyre ?

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 03:53:42 -0800 (PST), robgraham
wrote:

I've found a dual piston air brush compressor driven by a 1/4hp 240v
motor with a 3.5l tank. No use for air tools, proper spray painting,
etc., but it will be easy to store and transport. How would that get
on for blowing up the occasional tyre ?

Should be OK but slow - except that as the stored volume is low if you
have a totally flat tubeless tyre it may not have enough puff to push
the tyre to the rim so will just leak air instead of blowing the tyre
up.

You can make a nice air brush compressor from an old freezer or fridge
compressor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Peter Parry
writes
wrote:

I've found a dual piston air brush compressor driven by a 1/4hp 240v
motor with a 3.5l tank. No use for air tools, proper spray painting,
etc., but it will be easy to store and transport. How would that get
on for blowing up the occasional tyre ?

Should be OK but slow - except that as the stored volume is low if you
have a totally flat tubeless tyre it may not have enough puff to push
the tyre to the rim so will just leak air instead of blowing the tyre
up.

Put a strap tie round the outside of the tread.

You can make a nice air brush compressor from an old freezer or fridge
compressor.

Oil?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 20:35:56 +0000, Tim Lamb
wrote:

In message , Peter Parry
writes

You can make a nice air brush compressor from an old freezer or fridge
compressor.

Oil?

Not a problem in the ones I've made. A short vertical tube on the
output collects most and a small in line oil remover takes out the
rest.

You also get the advantage that it makes a good vacuum pump as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/03/2012 11:53, robgraham wrote:
I have some work which will require air brush painting.

I've been given a 'stated-as-good' airbrush gun and require to get the
compressor. I don't really have any current use for a full sized
compressor and would rather not be faced with the storage for that.
But having said that there is the occasional for bike, car and
wheelbarrow tyres to be dealt with - the sort of things that the
rather nasty 12V car compressor does for us currently.

I've found a dual piston air brush compressor driven by a 1/4hp 240v
motor with a 3.5l tank. No use for air tools, proper spray painting,
etc., but it will be easy to store and transport. How would that get
on for blowing up the occasional tyre ?

Rob

Slowly, or not at all - depending on what pressure it can generate.

Having said that, these little plug-in 12v jobbies can blow up a car
tyre eventually - but you're often in danger of exceeding their 10
minute maximum continuous run time.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 05 Mar 2012 13:05:18 +0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Having said that, these little plug-in 12v jobbies can blow up a car
tyre eventually - but you're often in danger of exceeding their 10
minute maximum continuous run time.

Can vouch for that killed an Airman doing a rather soft Landrover
tyre. Though TBH it may have still mangled the metal flap valve at
the top of the cylinder anyway. Now have a somewhat chunkier and fan
cooled 12v tyre compressor...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 5, 1:20 pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

snip

Now have a somewhat chunkier and fan
cooled 12v tyre compressor...

you got a link for that please?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 06:05:53 -0800 (PST), Jim K wrote:

Now have a somewhat chunkier and fan cooled 12v tyre

compressor...

you got a link for that please?

http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilde...ViewProduct&pr
oductid=6960

Sealey MAC2300 12V Heavy-Duty Compressor other places on the net have
it for between £55 and £65 delivered.

--
Cheers
Dave.