Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Small air compressor query

I'm getting myself a small air grinder for wood piercing work. It
runs about 7 bar and 4cfm - what capacity of compressor do I need ?
Usage will be low and I can put it away from the working place so what
is recommended at a reasonable price. Other use will be doing the
occasional car or bike tyre.

Thanks
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2011 16:40, robgraham wrote:
I'm getting myself a small air grinder for wood piercing work. It
runs about 7 bar and 4cfm - what capacity of compressor do I need ?
Usage will be low and I can put it away from the working place so what
is recommended at a reasonable price. Other use will be doing the
occasional car or bike tyre.

Thanks
Rob

If you want to run it continuously, then 4 cubic feet per minute or more.

First one on this list?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/ra...7-13ECC50E3595

Worth checking eBay for new or secondhand

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rhyas-2-HP...item3f086a9aee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Newshound wrote:
On 19/12/2011 16:40, robgraham wrote:
I'm getting myself a small air grinder for wood piercing work. It
runs about 7 bar and 4cfm - what capacity of compressor do I need ?
Usage will be low and I can put it away from the working place so what
is recommended at a reasonable price. Other use will be doing the
occasional car or bike tyre.

Thanks
Rob

If you want to run it continuously, then 4 cubic feet per minute or more.

First one on this list?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/ra...7-13ECC50E3595

Worth checking eBay for new or secondhand

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rhyas-2-HP...item3f086a9aee

You need to be very careful indeed with compressor specs.
Often the air flow rate is not quoted at the maximum pressure.
If you are only using the tool for short periods, a lower capability but
high enough pressure compressor can be used with a larger tank - eg an
old gas cylinder provided you allow time for it to get up to pressure.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 19, 8:09*pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
Newshound wrote:
On 19/12/2011 16:40, robgraham wrote:
I'm getting myself a small air grinder for wood piercing work. It
runs about 7 bar and 4cfm - what capacity of compressor do I need ?
Usage will be low and I can put it away from the working place so what
is recommended at a reasonable price. Other use will be doing the
occasional car or bike tyre.

Thanks
Rob

If you want to run it continuously, then 4 cubic feet per minute or more.

First one on this list?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/ra...FB1-4227-B147-...

Worth checking eBay for new or secondhand

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rhyas-2-HP...-7-3cfm-115psi...

You need to be very careful indeed with compressor specs.
Often the air flow rate is not quoted at the maximum pressure.
If you are only using the tool for short periods, a lower capability but
high enough pressure compressor can be used with a larger tank - eg *an
old gas cylinder provided you allow time for it to get up to pressure.

Bob

Thanks both of you. Bob, it's probably worth asking this question on
UKWS now that I think of it; I've not done any piercing and don't know
how continuous the use is.

One of the purposes of the question was to find out opinions on the
cheap Clark compressors and the ilk.

Rob.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2011 20:52, robgraham wrote:
One of the purposes of the question was to find out opinions on the
cheap Clark compressors and the ilk.

It is a long time since I bought a compressor, but a reconditioned
Hydrovane used to be very good value for money. They are relatively
quiet and, even without an accumulator, give a smooth supply of air.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2011 22:20, Nightjar wrote:
On 19/12/2011 20:52, robgraham wrote:
One of the purposes of the question was to find out opinions on the
cheap Clark compressors and the ilk.

It is a long time since I bought a compressor, but a reconditioned
Hydrovane used to be very good value for money. They are relatively
quiet and, even without an accumulator, give a smooth supply of air.

Colin Bignell

Lovely kit, but they seem pricey for average domestic use now

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_fr...All-Categories