Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Eco Queen.

Got a call from a regular customer on my way home last night, washing
machine pouring water all over the floor.

Diverted to go & have a look, since they are a good customer.

Lovely couple, but the lady is an extreme eco warrior.

Old washing machine apparently leaked badly, so they bought a brand new
one - which did the same.

Pulled it out & checked the trap (this sort
http://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-ma...rap-40mm/18640)

Absolutely full of limescale, so bad I had to break it out with a
screwdriver blade. Never seen anything so bad.

Waste pipe ran behind a cupboard so I couldn't get to it & the clips
holding the vertical pipe had come adrift, causing it to run uphill. I
could see into the waste & that was half full of scale as well.

Half a bottle of One Shot later I got it all cleared & re fixed everything.

It turns out she 'makes' her own 'save the planet' washing powder -
borax, soda & soap or something. Entirely natural & eco friendly
apparently - none of those 'nasty' chemicals.

Obviously the cause of the scale blockage.

So, being eco friendly caused her to scrap the old washing machine
unnecessarily, buy a new machine & add half a litre of sulphuric acid to
the eco system.

They don't really think things through do they?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

ROFL

Bet you didn't go round on your bike either!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pulled it out & checked the trap (this sorthttp://www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-trap-40mm/18640)

Absolutely full of limescale, so bad I had to break it out with a
screwdriver blade. Never seen anything so bad.

Waste pipe ran behind a cupboard so I couldn't get to it & the clips
holding the vertical pipe had come adrift, causing it to run uphill. *I
could see into the waste & that was half full of scale as well.

Half a bottle of One Shot later I got it all cleared & re fixed everything.

It turns out she 'makes' her own 'save the planet' washing powder -
borax, soda & soap or something. Entirely natural & eco friendly
apparently - none of those 'nasty' chemicals.

Obviously the cause of the scale blockage.

So, being eco friendly caused her to scrap the old washing machine
unnecessarily, buy a new machine & add half a litre of sulphuric acid to
the eco system.

They don't really think things through do they?

No. But I dont see how those would cause excess scaling.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Exactly my thought too. Her "eco" home made washing powder probably
cleans nothing unless you do a boil wash - that would do it. Eco what?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Which is why I run all the hot water systems here below 60C. It helps
prevent scale deposition from the hard water, as the local Calcium
Sulphate hardness has a solubility peak at about 65C. It seems to keep
the shower head clear of scale, so I assume the rest of the system is
the same.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:

Which is why I run all the hot water systems here below 60C. It helps
prevent scale deposition from the hard water, as the local Calcium
Sulphate hardness has a solubility peak at about 65C. It seems to keep
the shower head clear of scale, so I assume the rest of the system is
the same.

Which is a very interesting thing to say.

Since I fitted a decent "temporary" HW heater that has power regulation and
upper temperature control, I find 45C is perfectly adequate for a hot tap.
Even 40-42C is just about OK to fill a bath (with hot alone) and makes the
hot tap comfortable for hand and disk washing.

I'll bear this in mind when I fit the thermal store which will have a 3 port
blending valve (store will run *much* hotter).
--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 17 Feb,
Tim Watts wrote:

Since I fitted a decent "temporary" HW heater that has power regulation and
upper temperature control, I find 45C is perfectly adequate for a hot tap.

Just right for legionella

Even 40-42C is just about OK to fill a bath (with hot alone) and makes the
hot tap comfortable for hand and disk washing.

Hope it hasn't a shower attached.

I'll bear this in mind when I fit the thermal store which will have a 3
port blending valve (store will run *much* hotter).

Put the mixing valve near the point of use, and be prepared to disinfect any
pipe where warm water sits (above 20C and below 50C) regularly.

Grease solidifies below 60deg, so 60deg is about minimum for a kitchen sink.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2012 22:19, Tim Watts wrote:

Even 40-42C is just about OK to fill a bath (with hot alone) and makes the
hot tap comfortable for hand and disk washing.

Usefully if washing your floppy in the sink ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
John Williamson wrote:

Which is why I run all the hot water systems here below 60C. It helps
prevent scale deposition from the hard water, as the local Calcium
Sulphate hardness has a solubility peak at about 65C. It seems to
keep the shower head clear of scale, so I assume the rest of the
system is the same.

Which is a very interesting thing to say.

Since I fitted a decent "temporary" HW heater that has power
regulation and upper temperature control, I find 45C is perfectly
adequate for a hot tap. Even 40-42C is just about OK to fill a bath
(with hot alone) and makes the hot tap comfortable for hand and disk
washing.

I'll bear this in mind when I fit the thermal store which will have a
3 port blending valve (store will run *much* hotter).

I have known stores (well the heat bank version) to run at 60C, The plate
heat exchangers are very efficient. The larger the plate the more heat
extracted and efficiency rises meaning lower store temps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article
,
wrote:
[...]

Many have the DHW temp on combis on max. It is best to set it around
50-52C. Less scaling in the combi's plate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2012 18:51, NT wrote:
On Feb 17, 6:01 pm, The Medway
wrote:
[...]

Washing powders have 'builders' which keep the limescale down to a
minimum. Home made stuff doesn't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Not flowing away quickly enough appears to be the problem
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

[...]

Sure this is due to her eco washing, and not to a previous non-eco washer?

I spent a really unpleasant few minutes breaking washing powder sludge out
of the U trap in an outside drain at a previous house.
And this was certainly not an eco household.
Although some of the food remanants inside the cupboards were definitely
green.

All as nothing compared to the defrosted chest freezer with abot 6 inches of
water in the bottom full of dead fermenting snails.
Mmmm.....

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2012 22:42, David WE Roberts wrote:

[...]

Pretty much. Her husband lived in the house for 6 years before she
moved in 8 years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Pretty much. Her husband lived in the house for 6 years before she
moved in 8 years ago.

He dropped a bollock then didn't he? That kind of witch will just be
after his house. These man women who have crazy ideas about global
warming and cellphone masts are all as crafty as a cartload of monkeys
when it comes to ripping blokes off. They are usually feminists as well
so so think it's quite fair to steal everything from a bloke.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 09:54:19 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Pretty much. Her husband lived in the house for 6 years before she
moved in 8 years ago.

He dropped a bollock then didn't he? That kind of witch will just be
after his house. These man women who have crazy ideas about global
warming and cellphone masts are all as crafty as a cartload of monkeys
when it comes to ripping blokes off. They are usually feminists as well
so so think it's quite fair to steal everything from a bloke.

Why don't you let your prejudices show, Bill?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think that often these blockages occur because people do not understand
how their plumbing works.

I'm not totally sure why you need a trap in a washing machine waste pipe
anyway, mine does not have one.

Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 18, 8:24*am, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
[...]

Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

The purpose of traps is to keep smelly, possibly explosive and
poisonous sewer gas out of the building.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewer_gas
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
I think that often these blockages occur because people do not understand
how their plumbing works.

That's how the doctor explained it to me.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I think that often these blockages occur because people do not understand
how their plumbing works.

I'm not totally sure why you need a trap in a washing machine waste pipe
anyway, mine does not have one.

You almost certainly have a trap.
You may not have a standpipe.
Without a trap you would get smells from the foul sewer as its been illegal
to connect to the rain water drain for years in most places.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
b.com...

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I think that often these blockages occur because people do not understand
how their plumbing works.

I'm not totally sure why you need a trap in a washing machine waste pipe
anyway, mine does not have one.

You almost certainly have a trap.
You may not have a standpipe.
Without a trap you would get smells from the foul sewer as its been
illegal to connect to the rain water drain for years in most places.

It may have been illegal to build new houses with such a waste, but there
are millions of house built before the ban with discharge into an (outside)
open drain.

My sister lives in such a house and it's (at most) 50 years old

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I think that often these blockages occur because people do not
understand how their plumbing works.

I'm not totally sure why you need a trap in a washing machine waste pipe
anyway, mine does not have one.

You almost certainly have a trap.
You may not have a standpipe.
Without a trap you would get smells from the foul sewer as its been
illegal to connect to the rain water drain for years in most places.

It may have been illegal to build new houses with such a waste, but there
are millions of house built before the ban with discharge into an
(outside) open drain.

Mine does, it goes into the sewer system.
Its quite common in the midlands.
The house is 31 years old.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

You should mention that it will bugger up her washing machine too.
The electric heater and pump if nothing else.
If she was a true eco-warrior she would wash by hand anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry wrote:

You should mention that it will bugger up her washing machine too.
The electric heater and pump if nothing else.
If she was a true eco-warrior she would wash by hand anyway.

Except that would use far more water and energy.
--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 00:34:34 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

You should mention that it will bugger up her washing machine too.
The electric heater and pump if nothing else.
If she was a true eco-warrior she would wash by hand anyway.

If she was a true eco-warrior she would wash clothes infrequently,
wear only colours that can be washed together to save separate washes.
She would also not iron or tumble dry.

Didn't people used to be stitched into their clothes in the olden
days?

"They used to sew their children in during the autumn. They had a
sewing-in day. They sewed them into their clothes and left them there
till spring. They were sewn in for warmth. They thought they would die
of cold otherwise. With only enough freedom left to answer the calls
of nature, the sewn-up children soon smelt very distinctive:
http://www.aohg.org.uk/twww/health4.html

There are more references for #sewn into winter underwear#
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

with outside toilets the order of the day, there was good reason to sew
people in....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2012 14:24 mogga wrote:

If she was a true eco-warrior she would wash clothes infrequently,
wear only colours that can be washed together to save separate washes.
She would also not iron or tumble dry.

Sounds like we've got one in the local pub then...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 18:13:57 +0000, F news@nowhere wrote:

On 18/02/2012 14:24 mogga wrote:

If she was a true eco-warrior she would wash clothes infrequently,
wear only colours that can be washed together to save separate washes.
She would also not iron or tumble dry.

Sounds like we've got one in the local pub then...

Tramps are very eco friendly. Their carbon footprint is very low. Most
of their furniture gets recycled regularly.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:

It turns out she 'makes' her own 'save the planet' washing powder -
borax, soda & soap or something. Entirely natural & eco friendly
apparently - none of those 'nasty' chemicals.

Did you point out to her that what she is using - borax, soda, etc - are
also nasty chemicals?

NO! Those are NICE chemicals.

Like all those organic enzyme washing powders that give you cancer, instead.

queen nithyananthan arunachalam Metalworking 0 September 17th 10 08:18 AM
O.T Message from The Queen diggerop Woodworking 55 November 19th 09 04:36 AM
OT? Queen City mm Home Repair 0 March 13th 07 02:22 AM
Queen Bed j Woodworking 2 October 18th 06 12:37 AM
My Queen Needs a New Throne RWS Home Repair 23 January 14th 06 02:36 PM