Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New laser printer + scanner - and linux

HP have excellent linux support for the scanner element in their network
multifunctionals.

Does any other manufacturer these days have equally good support for network
scanning with SANE?

I'm looking to replace an HP C6180 inkjet+scanner that worked well, but the
ink is pricey and it's old and getting decrepid.

HP seen to be a little short of options in the 300-400 price range and the
500 quid ones are not getting good user reviews.

I'm pretty sure Canon will not have good linux support but I'm not up on
Dell, Samsung, lexmark etc.

I'll research this more, but some pointers to limit the options would be
handy

Cheers,

Tim

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
HP have excellent linux support for the scanner element in their network
multifunctionals.

Does any other manufacturer these days have equally good support for network
scanning with SANE?

I'm looking to replace an HP C6180 inkjet+scanner that worked well, but the
ink is pricey and it's old and getting decrepid.

HP seen to be a little short of options in the 300-400 price range and the
500 quid ones are not getting good user reviews.

I'm pretty sure Canon will not have good linux support but I'm not up on
Dell, Samsung, lexmark etc.

I'll research this more, but some pointers to limit the options would be
handy

Cheers,

Tim

I have found support for NEW HP scanners to be rather bad in Linux.

In fact Xsane is probably the weakest area of linux altogether.

check with the Xsane sites for drivers BEFORE buying the scanner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:
[...]

Interesting - and I thought HP was committed with HPLIP to supporting
everything...

check with the Xsane sites for drivers BEFORE buying the scanner.

As it's the scanner that's a "must work" and the printer needs to only be
judged on quality (as everything works with linux on the printing front)
working backworks would seem to be a good idea...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 11, 10:25*pm, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm pretty sure Canon will not have good linux support but I'm not up on
Dell, Samsung, lexmark etc.

I've got a Canon MP610 multifunctional printer/scanner and it has full
support in Linux through both Canon's own software and SANE. It's a
few years old now but I'd be surprised if such support wasn't
available for more recent models also.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mathew Newton wrote:

On Feb 11, 10:25 pm, Tim Watts wrote:

I'm pretty sure Canon will not have good linux support but I'm not up on
Dell, Samsung, lexmark etc.

I've got a Canon MP610 multifunctional printer/scanner and it has full
support in Linux through both Canon's own software and SANE. It's a
few years old now but I'd be surprised if such support wasn't
available for more recent models also.

Mathew

Hi Mathew,

Thanks - that is very interesting - Canon used to be fairly anti linux but
their printers are good.

I'll have a run down their models and see what they have

Cheers!

Tim
--
Tim Watts