Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jo Jo is offline

Default Chemical Smell From Oven

The oven is a Diplomat Select 920 and was here when we moved in two and a
half years ago. so we have no idea how old this oven is.
Last year it started emitting a weird chemical smell which is worse at
times, yet not so bad at others. It's quite disturbing as i feel it almost
smells 'toxic' and I don't want the food contaminated.

Any ideas, other than to pay a fortune to call out an engineer who will
probably tell us we need something replaced? Apart from the bulb which has
gone and the awful smell the oven works fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 6:03*pm, "Jo" wrote:
The oven is a Diplomat Select 920 and was here when we moved in two and a
half years ago. *so we have no idea how old this oven is.
Last year it started emitting a weird chemical smell which is worse at
times, yet not so bad at others. *It's quite disturbing as i feel it almost
smells 'toxic' and I don't want the food contaminated.

Any ideas, other than to pay a fortune to call out an engineer who will
probably tell us we need something replaced? *Apart from the bulb which has
gone and the awful smell the oven works fine.

If it is a fan oven, the motor that drives the fan may be on the way
out (ie overheating)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2012 18:03, Jo wrote:
The oven is a Diplomat Select 920 and was here when we moved in two and a
half years ago. so we have no idea how old this oven is.
Last year it started emitting a weird chemical smell which is worse at
times, yet not so bad at others. It's quite disturbing as i feel it almost
smells 'toxic' and I don't want the food contaminated.

Any ideas, other than to pay a fortune to call out an engineer who will
probably tell us we need something replaced? Apart from the bulb which has
gone and the awful smell the oven works fine.

Cookers certainly smell that way from new due to whatever they coat them
with to stop them rusting in storage. Gradually gets better, but takes a
lot longer than the makers imply.
The only thing I can think of that would cause a chemical smell after
that is burnt plastic, possibly some kind of container that has softened
and welded itself to the metal. Normal oven cleaners won't touch it but
the firms that come round and clean in situ use different chemicals
which, in theory should work. Not expensive judging by the leaflets I
get through the door.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 10:28:48 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Feb 7, 6:03*pm, "Jo" wrote:
The oven is a Diplomat Select 920 and was here when we moved in two and a
half years ago. *so we have no idea how old this oven is.
Last year it started emitting a weird chemical smell which is worse at
times, yet not so bad at others. *It's quite disturbing as i feel it almost
smells 'toxic' and I don't want the food contaminated.

Any ideas, other than to pay a fortune to call out an engineer who will
probably tell us we need something replaced? *Apart from the bulb which has
gone and the awful smell the oven works fine.

If it is a fan oven, the motor that drives the fan may be on the way
out (ie overheating)

Or the transformer that powers the clock doing the same.
The OP doesn't say it only smells when the oven is running.

If it does smell when not in use, then turn it off at the mains to see
if it's electrical. While there is any doubt I recommend it is turned
off whilst unattended.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jo wrote:
The oven is a Diplomat Select 920 and was here when we moved in two and a
half years ago. so we have no idea how old this oven is.
Last year it started emitting a weird chemical smell which is worse at
times, yet not so bad at others. It's quite disturbing as i feel it almost
smells 'toxic' and I don't want the food contaminated.

Any ideas, other than to pay a fortune to call out an engineer who will
probably tell us we need something replaced? Apart from the bulb which has
gone and the awful smell the oven works fine.

its either burning fat - which is pretty similar to tear gas in general
effects - or a burning insulation, in which case prepare for a bit of a
bang when it finally turns to conductive carbon...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/2012 18:03, Jo wrote:
The oven is a Diplomat Select 920 and was here when we moved in two and a
half years ago. so we have no idea how old this oven is.
Last year it started emitting a weird chemical smell which is worse at
times, yet not so bad at others. It's quite disturbing as i feel it almost
smells 'toxic' and I don't want the food contaminated.

Any ideas, other than to pay a fortune to call out an engineer who will
probably tell us we need something replaced? Apart from the bulb which has
gone and the awful smell the oven works fine.

I could be wrong but it implies a bad connection and subsequent heating
and burning of wire.

A visual inspection would be easily carried out if the oven is removed
from its housing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/02/12 18:40, stuart noble wrote:

Cookers certainly smell that way from new due to whatever they coat them
with to stop them rusting in storage. Gradually gets better, but takes a
lot longer than the makers imply.
The only thing I can think of that would cause a chemical smell after
that is burnt plastic, possibly some kind of container that has softened
and welded itself to the metal. Normal oven cleaners won't touch it but
the firms that come round and clean in situ use different chemicals
which, in theory should work. Not expensive judging by the leaflets I
get through the door.

Some grouchy old sod charged SWMBO £200 quid for cleaning 2 ovens. Took
3 hours and complained about the state of them (= Normal) all the while.

One as a brand new replacement on Ebay would have started at about £150.

Derek
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 7, 8:25 pm, Derek Geldard
wrote:
On 07/02/12 18:40, stuart noble wrote:

Cookers certainly smell that way from new due to whatever they coat them
with to stop them rusting in storage. Gradually gets better, but takes a
lot longer than the makers imply.
The only thing I can think of that would cause a chemical smell after
that is burnt plastic, possibly some kind of container that has softened
and welded itself to the metal. Normal oven cleaners won't touch it but
the firms that come round and clean in situ use different chemicals
which, in theory should work. Not expensive judging by the leaflets I
get through the door.

Some grouchy old sod charged SWMBO £200 quid for cleaning 2 ovens. Took
3 hours and complained about the state of them (= Normal) all the while..

£200 for 3 hours work FFS!!

psycho-murketing - shame the punter into having it done more often
(more £ and easier for him)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi Ive have this happening now, same oven and scenario moved into house 2 years ago and oven was here. Now has a chemical / toxic smell coming from inside when its switched on.
What happened with yours? Not sure if it is the element that needs replacing or the motor as mentioned below?
Thanks
Michelle
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 6 May 2020 12:51:37 UTC+1, wrote:
Hi Ive have this happening now, same oven and scenario moved into house 2 years ago and oven was here. Now has a chemical / toxic smell coming from inside when its switched on.
What happened with yours? Not sure if it is the element that needs replacing or the motor as mentioned below?
Thanks
Michelle

burnt food residue & burning insulation/plastic smell very different. Not sure I can really put them into words. The only way to find the problem is, if it's not burnt food, to open the oven & look, after disconnecting power.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
Is there some new usenet portal around. This is the second orphaned message
I've seen here today.
Brian

The thread is a mixture of old posts (2012), orphan responses,
and a couple new at the bottom.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/uk.d-i-y/Chemical$20Smell$20From$20Oven/uk.d-i-y/yV2ueFx__zU/SlpvLSZwPP8J

The poster "Michelle" is
necro-posting into the original thread, with the
new message.

If you're using your screen reader, it's going to be
very hard to follow the sequence of events.

It suggests some people still have the original thread
in their newsreader from 2012, and thus they're able to
reply using the original header MID values, whereas other
people, the depth of their header store is such, the
message is an orphan, and they're just not seeing the
same thread in a sense. There's still something about
the sequence that doesn't make sense. Like why we can't
see this posting. This should have showed up as a response.

http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=ms...idua l.net%3E

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote:

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
[...]

http://al.howardknight.net/?STYPE=ms...1%40mid.indivi
dual.net%3E

Paul

It showed up here.
--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/05/2020 23:52, Roger Hayter wrote:
Paul wrote:

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
[...]

What did the smell of you're dead wifes pussy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Im not sure if you resolved this issue but I have a gas stove and have the same issue. I even called my gas company as I rent and the stove is not mine. It started this weekend and I thought that maybe a tenant or landlord was spraying for bugs in another apartment, but no.m

The smell is very similar to the spray professionals use when spraying for insects like cockroaches. It smells in the kitchen and its not a gas leak as the gas company and foremen were over. Both declared the gas stove fine. The Energir inspector, from my gas company refused to take his mask off, when I suggested he stick his head in the oven and smell, as that is where the smell emanates from. He didnt want to remove his mask, even for a second, even though I told him Ive been isolating for months and am not and have not been sick

So last time I cleaned my oven was about a month ago, with hot water and suds so I didnt use anything chemical. Im baffled. Any ideas?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Dead mouse? Can give of a sweetish sickly smell.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls