Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_2_] Graham.[_2_] is offline

Default Chemical Smell From Oven

On Tue, 7 Feb 2012 10:28:48 -0800 (PST), harry
wrote:

On Feb 7, 6:03*pm, "Jo" wrote:
The oven is a Diplomat Select 920 and was here when we moved in two and a
half years ago. *so we have no idea how old this oven is.
Last year it started emitting a weird chemical smell which is worse at
times, yet not so bad at others. *It's quite disturbing as i feel it almost
smells 'toxic' and I don't want the food contaminated.

Any ideas, other than to pay a fortune to call out an engineer who will
probably tell us we need something replaced? *Apart from the bulb which has
gone and the awful smell the oven works fine.

If it is a fan oven, the motor that drives the fan may be on the way
out (ie overheating)

Or the transformer that powers the clock doing the same.
The OP doesn't say it only smells when the oven is running.

If it does smell when not in use, then turn it off at the mains to see
if it's electrical. While there is any doubt I recommend it is turned
off whilst unattended.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%