Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default plasterboarding stud walls

Hi,

I was taught to support 12.5mm plasterboard at 60cm centres and 9.5mm
plasterboard at 40cm centres. Are these strict rules or just rules of
thumb?

I ask because I started to build a stud wall with studs every 60cm
only to find that I have a "spare" 10cm at the end. If I had realised
this at the beginning (and I realise I should have checked and double
checked before building), I would probably have put the studs at say,
61cm centres and I am sure the extra 1cm would not have made a
difference.

What I am now wondering is whether to put an extra stud at the end and
have two studs within 10cm or whether just to move the last stud so
that it is 70cm away from its neighbour. Would 70cm be too far? That's
70cm from centre to centre of the studs, which are 2 inches wide, if
that makes any difference.

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/02/2012 16:13, Fred wrote:
Hi,

I was taught to support 12.5mm plasterboard at 60cm centres and 9.5mm
plasterboard at 40cm centres. Are these strict rules or just rules of
thumb?

Just rules of thumb... in fact typically these days stud walls will be
erected on 400mm centres and use 12mm plasterboard.

I ask because I started to build a stud wall with studs every 60cm
only to find that I have a "spare" 10cm at the end. If I had realised
this at the beginning (and I realise I should have checked and double
checked before building), I would probably have put the studs at say,
61cm centres and I am sure the extra 1cm would not have made a
difference.

What I am now wondering is whether to put an extra stud at the end and
have two studs within 10cm or whether just to move the last stud so
that it is 70cm away from its neighbour. Would 70cm be too far? That's
70cm from centre to centre of the studs, which are 2 inches wide, if
that makes any difference.

Keep the studs at regulation spacings so that the plasterboard will
"fit" without needing and faffing about at the joins. Then add an extra
stud at whatever smaller spacing is required at the end.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 6, 4:13*pm, Fred wrote:
[...]

You dont want a sheet of PB ending over mid-air, joins need good
support.

Spacing is upto you. Its a good oportunity to use up some scrap wood
for noggings, it improves the plaster support and thus rigidity and
soundproofness of the wall.
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...oise_reduction

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 17:02:43 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Keep the studs at regulation spacings so that the plasterboard will
"fit" without needing and faffing about at the joins. Then add an extra
stud at whatever smaller spacing is required at the end.

You are quite right, I posted without thinking (again). If I had moved
the studs to say 62cm apart, I would have had a lot of plasterboard
offcuts! But since the wall is not an integer multiple of 120cm long,
I will have an offcut at the end, so I wasn't sure whether to have two
studs 10cm apart or just leave the last ones 70cm apart.

What is the logic for using 40cm centres with 12mm PB? I'm surprised
at that, I thought companies would try to save money by using fewer
studs at 60cm centres?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 6 Feb 2012 19:51:52 -0800 (PST), NT
wrote:

You dont want a sheet of PB ending over mid-air, joins need good
support.

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I always finish the
plasterboard over a stud. I was typing faster than I could think and
if I had moved the studs to say 62cm apart, I would have wasted a lot
of plasterboard by having to cut it to fit.

Is there a recommendation of where to screw the plasterboard? Should
that be every 40cm too?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You dont want a sheet of PB ending over mid-air, joins need good
support.

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I always finish the
plasterboard over a stud. I was typing faster than I could think and
if I had moved the studs to say 62cm apart, I would have wasted a lot
of plasterboard by having to cut it to fit.

Is there a recommendation of where to screw the plasterboard? Should
that be every 40cm too?

Every 6" is ok, but again practice varies.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Keep the studs at regulation spacings so that the plasterboard will
"fit" without needing and faffing about at the joins. Then add an extra
stud at whatever smaller spacing is required at the end.

You are quite right, I posted without thinking (again). If I had moved
the studs to say 62cm apart, I would have had a lot of plasterboard
offcuts! But since the wall is not an integer multiple of 120cm long,
I will have an offcut at the end, so I wasn't sure whether to have two
studs 10cm apart or just leave the last ones 70cm apart.

What is the logic for using 40cm centres with 12mm PB? I'm surprised
at that, I thought companies would try to save money by using fewer
studs at 60cm centres?

The wider the stud spacing, the less the total timber cost for given
wall stiffness (since 1 piece of thicker twice as stiff timber costs
less than 2 bits half as stiff), but the thicker the PB then needs to
be to maintain acceptable strength & sound transmission, thus the
higher the PB cost. Also larger thicker heavier pieces of PB take more
labour to fit. Naturally there is an optimum point where cost per
performance is minimised.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 10:50:20 +0000 Fred wrote :
Is there a recommendation of where to screw the plasterboard? Should
that be every 40cm too?

Australian practice is to dab the studs with adhesive every 300mm as
well as nailing. A pain if you later need to remove the pb

Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Keep the studs at regulation spacings so that the plasterboard will
"fit" without needing and faffing about at the joins. Then add an extra
stud at whatever smaller spacing is required at the end.

You are quite right, I posted without thinking (again). If I had moved
the studs to say 62cm apart, I would have had a lot of plasterboard
offcuts! But since the wall is not an integer multiple of 120cm long,
I will have an offcut at the end, so I wasn't sure whether to have two
studs 10cm apart or just leave the last ones 70cm apart.

What is the logic for using 40cm centres with 12mm PB? I'm surprised
at that, I thought companies would try to save money by using fewer
studs at 60cm centres?

Well if you are penny pinching, then indeed 60cm will be cheaper. If you
are doing a decent job, and don't want bouncy walls that allow every
fart to resonate though the house, then go for a more solid construction ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You dont want a sheet of PB ending over mid-air, joins need good
support.

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I always finish the
plasterboard over a stud. I was typing faster than I could think and
if I had moved the studs to say 62cm apart, I would have wasted a lot
of plasterboard by having to cut it to fit.

Is there a recommendation of where to screw the plasterboard? Should
that be every 40cm too?

I tend to do about every foot - so 4 screws across the width of a board.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You dont want a sheet of PB ending over mid-air, joins need good
support.

Sorry, I should have made it clear that I always finish the
plasterboard over a stud. I was typing faster than I could think and
if I had moved the studs to say 62cm apart, I would have wasted a lot
of plasterboard by having to cut it to fit.

Is there a recommendation of where to screw the plasterboard? Should
that be every 40cm too?

Every 6" is ok, but again practice varies.

NT

I tend to go for no skim, just filling the joints, anything over 6"
results in cracking. If you're skimming you can space it out a little
more.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 16:49:18 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

I tend to do about every foot - so 4 screws across the width of a board.

Sorry for the late replies. A few posts saying 30cm ish, so there
seems to be a consensus. Thanks.

Plasterboarding walls with higher ceilings GMM UK diy 19 September 28th 11 11:34 AM
stud walls Fred UK diy 19 August 8th 10 08:36 PM
Damp in Stud Walls [email protected] Home Repair 7 December 12th 06 02:47 PM
Plasterboarding Stud Wall [email protected] UK diy 15 June 5th 05 01:09 PM
Pipes in stud walls Zymurgy UK diy 8 August 4th 03 05:04 PM