Zymurgy

Default Pipes in stud walls

Hi, I'm back !

More plumbing queries.

I want to run 15mm pipes down through a stud wall i'm building.

Any gotchas I should be aware of, what is the preferred method of
fixing within, or are they to be left floating in loose holes bored in
the studs ?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Paul.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Zymurgy wrote:
More plumbing queries.

I want to run 15mm pipes down through a stud wall i'm building.

Any gotchas I should be aware of, what is the preferred method of
fixing within, or are they to be left floating in loose holes bored in
the studs ?

Any help appreciated.

For vertical, fit noggins somewhat thinner than the studding, and use pipe
clips to these.

For horizontal, notch the studs and reinforce, and perhaps run a steel
strap over the notch, and again use pipe clips. Loose pipes might well
hammer or bang.

--
*Don't use no double negatives *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
The Natural Philosopher

Dave Plowman wrote:

In article ,
Zymurgy wrote:

More plumbing queries.

I want to run 15mm pipes down through a stud wall i'm building.

Any gotchas I should be aware of, what is the preferred method of
fixing within, or are they to be left floating in loose holes bored in
the studs ?

Any help appreciated.

For vertical, fit noggins somewhat thinner than the studding, and use pipe
clips to these.

For horizontal, notch the studs and reinforce, and perhaps run a steel
strap over the notch, and again use pipe clips. Loose pipes might well
hammer or bang.

Never do them up tight tho - use that felt sleeving between them and teh
clamps - otherwise they will creak when warming up and expanding.

Zymurgy

The Natural Philosopher wrote
Dave Plowman wrote:
Zymurgy wrote:

More plumbing queries.
I want to run 15mm pipes down through a stud wall i'm building.

Any gotchas I should be aware of, what is the preferred method of
fixing within, or are they to be left floating in loose holes bored in
the studs ?

For vertical, fit noggins somewhat thinner than the studding, and use pipe
clips to these.

For horizontal, notch the studs and reinforce, and perhaps run a steel
strap over the notch, and again use pipe clips. Loose pipes might well
hammer or bang.

Never do them up tight tho - use that felt sleeving between them and teh
clamps - otherwise they will creak when warming up and expanding.

Great. I'm running horizontal parallel to studs, do I batten these and
secure with clips (are metal or plastic better)

Can I put a block between pipes with a pipe clip on each end clamping
them together resting on the ceiling where space is tight or is this a
botch ?

I've had to bend the pipes into a gentle curve to get them under the
floor. (It was only possible to get 2/3 floorboards up for access on
both sides of a wall.

This has left the pipes slightly bent under there. Is this normal, or
should I straighten them out as best as possible. Does it matter ?

Really sorry to be asking such numpty questions, but if I don't I'll
never learn to do it properly and the job will forever look bodged.

Thank in advance

Paul.
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Zymurgy wrote:
Great. I'm running horizontal parallel to studs, do I batten these and
secure with clips (are metal or plastic better)

Studs run vertically.

--
*I will always cherish the initial misconceptions I had about you

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Zymurgy

(Zymurgy) wrote
Dave Plowman wrote
Zymurgy wrote:
Great. I'm running horizontal parallel to studs, do I batten these and
secure with clips (are metal or plastic better)

Studs run vertically.

Eek. I've got studs on the brain.

is "Joists" any better ?

Any news chaps ? I've got dangling pipes over here.....

Advice appreciated

Thanks

Paul.
Zymurgy

(Zymurgy) wrote
(Zymurgy) wrote
Dave Plowman wrote
Zymurgy wrote:
Great. I'm running horizontal parallel to studs, do I batten these and
secure with clips (are metal or plastic better)

Studs run vertically.

Eek. I've got studs on the brain.

is "Joists" any better ?

Any news chaps ? I've got dangling pipes over here.....

Advice appreciated

B*llocks to it then, they can stay bent ;-)

I'm tired of waiting.

HTH

Paul.
Zymurgy

"Phil Addison" wrote
(Zymurgy) wrote:

Any news chaps ? I've got dangling pipes over here.....

Advice appreciated

B*llocks to it then, they can stay bent ;-)

They are out of sight presumably, in which case there is nothing wrong
with non-straight pipes. Indeed some plumbers even bend them through 90
degrees.

I would have used plastic pipe in that situation - it is so easy to
thead into difficult locations.

Ok, Thanks.

Sorry for getting impatient, The floorboards were up and I had
impending visitors !!

The pipes are only in just a gentle curve, but I was worried there
would be issues when the hot water pipe expanded. Would this tend to
straighten a gentle curve ?

Also what's the concensus on compression fittings on hot water pipe.
Are end feed or solder ring's any stronger/better/longer lasting than
compression ?

The pipes are out of sight anyway, but I didn't know what sort of out
of sight plumbing crimes were perpetrated by real plumbers !

Cheers & thanks again.

Paul.