Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cement rendering questions...

On Jan 29, 1:54*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
I need to render (with sand & cement) 30 square metres of exterior
blockwork.

I have done a little cement rendering in the past, but not much. Can anyone
advise the best mix of sand, cement, and possibly lime and/or plasticiser
that will give best workability?

1:1:6 (lime, cement, sand, by volume)

How much I will need, for 30 sq mtrs?

You can calculate the volume. Density is around 2.2.

NT

Many thanks,

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote in
:

1:1:6 (lime, cement, sand, by volume)

Thanks... Should it be sharp sand, or will any building sand do? (for
optimum stickability, while wet.)

How much I will need, for 30 sq mtrs?

You can calculate the volume. Density is around 2.2.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the density factor; can you clarify?

I calculate the volume to be 0.5 cubic mtrs.

Can anyone tell me the volume of a 25kg bag of damp sand?

Thanks..

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
NT wrote in
:

1:1:6 (lime, cement, sand, by volume)

Thanks... Should it be sharp sand, or will any building sand do? (for
optimum stickability, while wet.)

How much I will need, for 30 sq mtrs?

You can calculate the volume. Density is around 2.2.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the density factor; can you clarify?

I calculate the volume to be 0.5 cubic mtrs.

Can anyone tell me the volume of a 25kg bag of damp sand?

that about 3:1 so .08 cu meters

What yer man is saying is that half a cu. meter of goodies is gonna be
a shade over a ton = I'd buy a tonne and a half meself - of stuff.

Of which 1 tonne will be sand (I like sharp for render - nice rustic
feel) and the rest a mixture of cement and possibly lime.

if you go for a 3:1 mix which is quite 'strong' you need something like
1/4 tonne of cement - that's ten 25kg bags - and about 5 bags of
hydraulic lime, to give it a bit of plasticity.

That takes the total up to about 1.375 tonnes in all, which is probably
what half a cu meter weighs.

HOWEVER bear in mind that 'tonne bags' are often only about 875kg or
so..so you may find you need a bit more sand in the end.

get yourself a tonne bag of sand, and then buy the lime and cement as
needed. Unless you think you can render that much in a couple of days.

at this time of year use a frost additive as well.

This is where a trade account and delivery from a builders merchant is
worth considering.

Thanks..

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 30, 1:39*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
AL_n wrote:
NT wrote in
:

[...]

1 cc weighs around 2.2g. I wouldn't use 1:3, you want the render to
fail when something moves, not the bricks. 1:1:6 is nothing like 1:3.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/01/2012 14:22, NT wrote:
On Jan 30, 1:39 pm, The Natural
wrote:
AL_n wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

I notice some very large Readymix silos on a building site near here and
it says "lime mortar" on the outside. What's all that about? Can they be
bricklaying with it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 30, 2:35*pm, stuart noble wrote:
On 30/01/2012 14:22, NT wrote:

On Jan 30, 1:39 pm, The Natural
wrote:
AL_n wrote:
*wrote in
:

[...]

I've heard of mortars called lime than are cement based with some
added lime, and thus behave nothing like genuine lime mortar. I don't
know which the readymix one is, but given that bricklaying with real
lime mortar is so problematic, odds are its cement with lime.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:jg66jd$or4$1
@news.albasani.net:

[...]

Very helpful - thanks. I'm thinking of more like a 5:1 mix. Thanks for the
account suggestion; I do have an account at Jewsons, and I do remember them
saying they deliver. That'll save some aggro...

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
[...]

Well then get that tonne of sand and a few bags of whatever and some
winter mix, and play around with ratios till it feels right.

This is not an ideal time of year for rendering.

It can take a couple of days to set. Mild and damp is best. Subzero is
awful.

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote in news:jg6pjb$3tr$5
@news.albasani.net:

Well then get that tonne of sand and a few bags of whatever and some
winter mix, and play around with ratios till it feels right.

This is not an ideal time of year for rendering.

It can take a couple of days to set. Mild and damp is best. Subzero is
awful.

I'm planning well ahead. Wild horses wouldn't drag me out there at this
time of year. ;-)

Al

Rendering with sand cement DIYer[_2_] UK diy 24 November 15th 11 02:42 PM
Cement rendering advice ? Nick UK diy 2 May 6th 07 11:51 PM
Tiling straight onto sand and cement rendering Michael Chare UK diy 2 July 27th 06 01:11 PM
Cement Rendering - method ? Nick UK diy 4 May 3rd 06 11:31 PM
Cement mix for rendering external walls in winter.....? morgan UK diy 2 December 8th 03 10:49 PM