Posted to uk.d-i-y
NT[_2_] NT[_2_] is offline

Default Cement rendering questions...

On Jan 30, 1:39*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
AL_n wrote:
NT wrote in
:

1:1:6 (lime, cement, sand, by volume)

Thanks... Should it be sharp sand, or will any building sand do? (for
optimum stickability, while wet.)

How much I will need, for 30 sq mtrs?
You can calculate the volume. Density is around 2.2.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the density factor; can you clarify?

I calculate the volume to be 0.5 cubic mtrs.

Can anyone tell me the volume of a 25kg bag of damp sand?

that about 3:1 so .08 cu meters

What yer man is saying is that half a *cu. meter of goodies is gonna be
a shade over a ton = I'd buy a tonne and a half meself - of stuff.

Of which 1 tonne will be sand (I like sharp for render - nice rustic
feel) and the rest a mixture of cement and possibly lime.

if you go for a 3:1 mix which is quite 'strong' you need something like
1/4 tonne of cement - that's ten 25kg bags - and about 5 bags of
hydraulic lime, to give it a bit of plasticity.

That takes the total up to about 1.375 tonnes in all, which is probably
what half a cu meter weighs.

HOWEVER bear in mind that 'tonne bags' are often only about 875kg or
so..so you may find you need a bit more sand in the end.

get yourself a tonne bag of sand, and *then buy the lime and cement as
needed. Unless you think you can render that much in a couple of days.

at this time of year use a frost additive as well.

This is where a trade account and delivery from a builders merchant is
worth considering.

Thanks..

Al

1 cc weighs around 2.2g. I wouldn't use 1:3, you want the render to
fail when something moves, not the bricks. 1:1:6 is nothing like 1:3.

NT