Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Re-celling battery drill ?

Is it time to call it a day on the old Bosch 9.6V drill and replace it
with the Li-Ion one from Lidls this Thursday, or is it worth going
down path of putting new cells in ? (4/5 sub-C)

The drill has done well - must be at least 12 years so it doesn't owe
me much.

Has anyone any experience of doing this with the cells on Ebay from
HK? And yes I know, they are much cheaper than anyone else's but it
could be that someone has had a good experience with them!

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
Is it time to call it a day on the old Bosch 9.6V drill and replace it
with the Li-Ion one from Lidls this Thursday, or is it worth going
down path of putting new cells in ? (4/5 sub-C)

The drill has done well - must be at least 12 years so it doesn't owe
me much.

Has anyone any experience of doing this with the cells on Ebay from
HK? And yes I know, they are much cheaper than anyone else's but it
could be that someone has had a good experience with them!

Rob

Can you not get new ones from Bosch? B&D were very good at directing me to
their spares people when I needed some for a B&D screwdriver. Worked like
new with the new cells!

Paul DS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Paul D Smith" writes:

"robgraham" wrote in message
Is it time to call it a day on the old Bosch 9.6V drill and replace it
with the Li-Ion one from Lidls this Thursday, or is it worth going
down path of putting new cells in ? (4/5 sub-C)

The drill has done well - must be at least 12 years so it doesn't owe
me much.

Has anyone any experience of doing this with the cells on Ebay from
HK? And yes I know, they are much cheaper than anyone else's but it
could be that someone has had a good experience with them!

Rob

Can you not get new ones from Bosch? B&D were very good at directing me to
their spares people when I needed some for a B&D screwdriver. Worked like
new with the new cells!

I've recelled a B&D screwdriver twice (I think).
I was using it on Saturday to help a tradesman repair next door's fence.
He commented on how good it was. It's nearly 25 years old - don't make
the like they used to.

If it's worth recelling, then you might as well get good quality ones.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
robgraham wrote:
Has anyone any experience of doing this with the cells on Ebay from
HK? And yes I know, they are much cheaper than anyone else's but it
could be that someone has had a good experience with them!

Total and utter rubbish. They aren't the capacity claimed and even more to
the point can't deliver any current. But to be fair, they don't even
suggest they can be used in power tools.

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 23, 5:57*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *robgraham wrote:

Has anyone any experience of doing this with the cells on Ebay from
HK? *And yes I know, they are much cheaper than anyone else's but it
could be that someone has had a good experience with them!

Total and utter rubbish. They aren't the capacity claimed and even more to
the point can't deliver any current. But to be fair, they don't even
suggest they can be used in power tools.

--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Thanks Dave - good point about the current delivery. I'll think
again !
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
robgraham wrote:
Total and utter rubbish. They aren't the capacity claimed and even
more to the point can't deliver any current. But to be fair, they
don't even suggest they can be used in power tools.

Thanks Dave - good point about the current delivery. I'll think
again !

I've just looked again after some months and they do appear to say they
are designed for power tools - so may be better than the ones I tried.
They're a different colour. ;-)

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sub C cells are commonly used in the model car racing circles, so can deffo
produce plenty of current,

That is of course assuming you get some decent branded ones, that are the
real things and the cheap crappy cells with photoshopped labels,

I've just looked again after some months and they do appear to say they
are designed for power tools - so may be better than the ones I tried.
They're a different colour. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 23, 11:31*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *robgraham wrote:

Total and utter rubbish. They aren't the capacity claimed and even
more to the point can't deliver any current. But to be fair, they
don't even suggest they can be used in power tools.

Thanks Dave - good point about the current delivery. I'll think
again !

I've just looked again after some months and they do appear to say they
are designed for power tools - so may be better than the ones I tried.
They're a different colour. ;-)

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

"say" !!!!

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Gazz wrote:
Sub C cells are commonly used in the model car racing circles, so can
deffo produce plenty of current,

That is of course assuming you get some decent branded ones, that are
the real things and the cheap crappy cells with photoshopped labels,

Indeed. Snag is they can cost far more than a complete new drill. I've
seen decent quality tagged ones at over 10 quid each. So even with the
likes of Makita, a new battery can be cheaper.

--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
Is it time to call it a day on the old Bosch 9.6V drill and replace it
with the Li-Ion one from Lidls this Thursday, or is it worth going
down path of putting new cells in ? (4/5 sub-C)

The drill has done well - must be at least 12 years so it doesn't owe
me much.

Has anyone any experience of doing this with the cells on Ebay from
HK? And yes I know, they are much cheaper than anyone else's but it
could be that someone has had a good experience with them!

Rob

Don't bother. Honestly.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
robgraham wrote:
Is it time to call it a day on the old Bosch 9.6V drill and replace it
with the Li-Ion one from Lidls this Thursday, or is it worth going
down path of putting new cells in ? (4/5 sub-C)

The drill has done well - must be at least 12 years so it doesn't owe
me much.

Has anyone any experience of doing this with the cells on Ebay from
HK? And yes I know, they are much cheaper than anyone else's but it
could be that someone has had a good experience with them!

Rob

Don't bother. Honestly.

Probably the most cost effective option is to buy any new battery of the
same voltage from a known maker and transfer the cells to the old case. If
you like searching for special offers.

--
*Don't squat with your spurs on *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
robgraham wrote:
Is it time to call it a day on the old Bosch 9.6V drill and replace it
with the Li-Ion one from Lidls this Thursday, or is it worth going
down path of putting new cells in ? (4/5 sub-C)

The drill has done well - must be at least 12 years so it doesn't owe
me much.

Has anyone any experience of doing this with the cells on Ebay from
HK? And yes I know, they are much cheaper than anyone else's but it
could be that someone has had a good experience with them!

Rob

Don't bother. Honestly.

The cost of decent cells will generally exceed the cost of a new drill
or pack.

Do NOT replace nickel cells with lithium. it is potentially dangerous as
the charging conditions and cell voltages are so completely different
it cannot be done without considerable expertise.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
robgraham wrote:
Is it time to call it a day on the old Bosch 9.6V drill and replace it
with the Li-Ion one from Lidls this Thursday, or is it worth going
down path of putting new cells in ? (4/5 sub-C)

The drill has done well - must be at least 12 years so it doesn't owe
me much.

Has anyone any experience of doing this with the cells on Ebay from
HK? And yes I know, they are much cheaper than anyone else's but it
could be that someone has had a good experience with them!

Rob

Don't bother. Honestly.

Correct. Not on a 12 year old drill.

I was offered a little used cased DeWalt drill with two lith batteries. It
was from the USA and had no charger. I have some Ryobi ONE+ power tools -
the batteries fit all the ONE+ tools and all of these can be bought without
a battery. The cost of a 240v DeWalt charger is £60. A new bateryless bare
18v Ryobi drill/driver is £60, so not worth buying a DeWalt charger for a
drill which may have duff batteries or may not even work. I may as well buy
a new Riyobi drill and use my existing batteries. For £20 more Ryobi make
an auto gearbox drill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I was offered a little used cased DeWalt drill with two lith batteries. It
was from the USA and had no charger. I have some Ryobi ONE+ power tools -
the batteries fit all the ONE+ tools and all of these can be bought
without a battery. The cost of a 240v DeWalt charger is £60. A new
bateryless bare 18v Ryobi drill/driver is £60, so not worth buying a
DeWalt charger for a drill which may have duff batteries or may not even
work. I may as well buy a new Riyobi drill and use my existing batteries.
For £20 more Ryobi make an auto gearbox drill.

I could check/charge those batteries, using the charger i have for my RC
planes batteries,
it'll charge just about any battery type, nickel cadmium, NiMH, LI-ion,
LI-poly, LI-Fe, lead acid etc,

can do a cycle test to get the capacity data and so on,

but would not be the kind of charger to have in a workshop enviroment, for a
start before it will let you charge any battery you must let it test it,
after selecting the right connector and plugging the sensors in, then
confirm or deny what it thinks it's going to be charging, this is to stop
people accidently charging a li-po battery on the ni-cad program, some
pretty good pyrotechnics can be the result if you do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 1/23/2012 10:36 AM, robgraham wrote:
Is it time to call it a day on the old Bosch 9.6V drill and replace it
with the Li-Ion one from Lidls this Thursday, or is it worth going
down path of putting new cells in ? (4/5 sub-C)

The drill has done well - must be at least 12 years so it doesn't owe
me much.

Has anyone any experience of doing this with the cells on Ebay from
HK? And yes I know, they are much cheaper than anyone else's but it
could be that someone has had a good experience with them!

Rob

Bought my Bosch 9.6v in 1986, batteries died in 2001, split the pack
apart and recelled it with good branded tagged cells, easy enough to do,
the drill is still the best rechargeable drill I have and beats anything
my friends and neighbours have. NiCads on Ebay suck big time especially
the yellow ones, I bought a dozen AA's, 6 wouldn't hold a charge after
one use. Total garbage. JC

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Archon
writes
[...]

I'm still using mine. Slight issues with it jumping out of gear if the
slider is not fully engaged.

When the original battery performance started to drop off, I looked into
re-celling. Advice here and elsewhere was much as above and I opted to
buy a replacement battery from one of the *re-celling* organisations.

Unfortunately the replacement is anonymous and simply acknowledges the
various trade marks and claims 2 Ahr at 9.6V. I am not about to wade
through paper files looking for a name.

Google is your friend:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 07:36:53 -0800 (PST), robgraham
wrote:

Is it time to call it a day on the old Bosch 9.6V drill and replace it
with the Li-Ion one from Lidls this Thursday, or is it worth going
down path of putting new cells in ? (4/5 sub-C)

The drill has done well - must be at least 12 years so it doesn't owe
me much.

Has anyone any experience of doing this with the cells on Ebay from
HK? And yes I know, they are much cheaper than anyone else's but it
could be that someone has had a good experience with them!

I've had good results from this lot
http://www.a1-battery.co.uk/index.htm
Bought three batteries from them and all are still going strong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I've had good results from this lot
http://www.a1-battery.co.uk/index.htm
Bought three batteries from them and all are still going strong.

How did their cost compare to buying a new battery from the maker?

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Jan 2012 17:57:24 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
wrote:
I've had good results from this lot
http://www.a1-battery.co.uk/index.htm
Bought three batteries from them and all are still going strong.

How did their cost compare to buying a new battery from the maker?

The Makita-alikes were about a third of the price, while Bosch wanted
a ton for theirs. I used a Makita battery in the Bosch.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
wrote:
I've had good results from this lot
http://www.a1-battery.co.uk/index.htm
Bought three batteries from them and all are still going strong.

How did their cost compare to buying a new battery from the maker?

By coincidence, yesterday I came across a Bosch 9.6V battery for sale!

Miles Tool and Machinery Centre. Not cheap though! www.mtmc.co.uk

regards

--
Tim Lamb